IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

10 hours ago, MrBeefy said:

I actually wanted to see this thing be successful. They have been a huge let down. Thankfully, I have the Amico to look forward to and they are much better with communication. 

iwanttobelieve.thumb.jpg.5a4bc1f5b33da217084bc67c14ef260c.jpg

meanwhile.gif.7465daaf32b94f89f1705ecee2b963a4.gif

IndieTaco sock-puppet comments still dribbling in ....

pussycomment.thumb.JPG.cee4f46a5d5dee184ae66dcfbbb69f81.JPG

$390 is a big deal for some Richie Rich.  As for your consoles, which you obviously store in your clothes drier,  I still have my original 1st Gen PS1, PS3, PS4 & Wii.  All working fine.

Sure, the Unconsole & it's alleged solid state storage will likely be more resilient, so have comfort in knowing you can safely play all eight 2600 games whilst it's being used as a door stop.

piratepussie.gif.f3079cad5db804dc47ddd756e362eb75.gif

• Like 7
  • Haha 5

On 7/19/2019 at 2:30 PM, Flojomojo said:

I'm looking it up now. Looks like it was T-shirts, and that Sunfrog got a "slew" (their word) of copyright complaints. They probably thought Atari was dead. Sunfrog moved to dismiss, Atari wasn't having it. Court documents are attached, in the form of Atari's initial complaint, as well as their response when Sunfrog moved to dismiss. Find someone to love you the way Atari loves that smelly old PONG trademark. 

It's directly relevant to the subject of this thread, because they're using the "success" of the crowdfunded "console" as a legal cudgel. They wouldn't have been able to do that if it were just a normal product that failed to find an audience at retail. Seriously, fsck these guys and all of their backers, right in the cartridge slot. 

Oh, am I being too harsh? Look what Atari demands:

Your mom was right! Being a lawyer *is* more profitable than making video games! And that's just for the counterfeit claim. For copyright infringement, 

Here are the counterfeit goods in question. Atari says they were were hurt and Sunfrog profited. I wonder how many of these were actually printed?

381022751_ScreenShot2019-07-19at4_14_20PM.thumb.png.e0f4115f17d4b7545b773fe1fad67899.png

1688254127_ScreenShot2019-07-19at4_14_28PM.thumb.png.5b8fc7c04f34c290257e77ce69d948a0.png

I'm sure Atari has legal footing here, they've done this again and again and I wouldn't be surprised if it were a large part of their bottom line (or at least keeps the lawyers fat and happy). But ... yecch. 

Atari opposition to motion to dismiss.pdf 422.97 kB · 0 downloads

Atari complaint exhibits.pdf 233.77 kB · 0 downloads Atari complaint.pdf 1.32 MB · 0 downloads

Just got back from camping over the weekend and had an email from TeePublic's legal department. It didn't get into detail but did confirm that Atari is suing them (what a surprise!) so that all Atari designs are "off-limits." I would not be surprised if any DIY design source (Teespring, maybe Etsy) is also facing similar action.

EDIT: Ok, found an article from a while ago, showing that Atari is suing three other companies (Zazzle& Red Bubble in addition to TP) for trademark infringement: http://patentarcade.com/2018/08/atari-sues-indy-t-shirt-websites.html

I wonder if Fred will be taking action against Taco Bell/Del Taco/Taco Time/the rinky dink taco stand on the side of the road soon...

Edited by Shaggy the Atarian
added a link
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

On 7/21/2019 at 3:49 AM, Mike_2000 said:

Edit: wait, is it legal? I looked it up, and Tengen became Time Warner Interactive which became Atari Games which became Midway Games which  became Warner Bros Interactive Entertainment. Infogrames is not a part of this equation, so maybe the VCS couldn't include  Paperboy without getting a license from Time Warner/AT&T? It's crazy to see the fate of Atari...

That's correct. Anything with/made by the Atari Games label is NOT Atari SA, so they have no power there.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Trying to figure out Atari's copyright statuses is like separating ingredients from a bowl of chili--to me, anyway.

I do remember Ben Heck relaying how his goodwill toward Coleco helped create a trademark.  He did a Colecovision-related project and created a reproduction label.  Coleco asked him for the logo file and (if I recall correctly) asked him to sign a small contract, or something.  Next thing you know, his project became proof of Coleco's Colecovision trademark.  

Of course, he didn't find out that he'd been used until the Colecovision scandal.

Yeesh.  If I'm reading @Shaggy the Atarian 's synopsis correctly, it sounds like we need to put yet another checkmark in the box labeled "Atari SA is just like RetroVGS/Coleco because ..."

• Like 5

On 7/21/2019 at 5:06 AM, roots.genoa said:

Backups are legal 'for archival purposes only': https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/17/117

Owning a game on a specific platform doesn't give you the right to play a copy of that game on a different platform. Of course, no one will prevent you to do it anyway but this is not legal.

Of course not everyone here is located in the United States... 

1 hour ago, digdugnate said:

image.thumb.png.90ab843eb2c0ff42028a1dbc16352770.png

does anyone still have their account still active for ataridevelopers.freeforums.net?  I noticed the Reddit post was hidden from r/atarivcs and when I tried to login today magically I don't have a username on this forum anymore.

I'd expect any account that Biffster didn't set up himself is obviously a troll account. Ya don't want anyone disagreeing with Biff, Biff, Biff, Biff, Biff, Biff or Biff.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Shaggy the Atarian said:

That's correct. Anything with/made by the Atari Games label is NOT Atari SA, so they have no power there.

Is vector asteroids atari, atari games, or atari SA?

I like the vector asteroids shirt and was thinking about getting one (I like to take my fashion cues from ZPH).

In theory, as a coin-op, is that still be in play?

so confusing!

• Like 1

SPOILERS:  The article has nothing to do with modern Atari or the modern AtariVCS.  In fact, I'd suggest it lays out in stark contrast the hard work put in by Bushnell if compared to Infogrames Atari.  Also, for a company who claims they don't credit nostalgia with their resurgence and are making an "un-console', they sure like their nostalgia and old Atari consoles.

537339124_AtariVCSBushnell.jpg.154632364c75f1c623a53d5208d541b0.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, D Train said:

Is vector asteroids atari, atari games, or atari SA?

I like the vector asteroids shirt and was thinking about getting one (I like to take my fashion cues from ZPH).

In theory, as a coin-op, is that still be in play?

so confusing!

Only kinda confusing. I think we talked about this very topic more than once in this thread already! Short version:

1. Everything up to 1984, plus home consoles and computers: Atari Corp, which is what Atari SA holds today. PONG, Asteroids, Missile Command, Tempest, Star Raiders, Centipede, Adventure, the kind of thing you see on "Atari Flashback" collections. The full catalog is on Atari.com and you can see how this funny little holding company has resorted to screen shots from ROM sites for some of its stuff. Does not include any licensed arcade games from 3rd parties (no Donkey Kong, Space Invaders, Frogger, etc). Anything with Asteroids is Atari SA, vectors or not. 

2. Post 1984 arcade machines: Atari Games, which is now owned by Warner. Marble Madness, Paperboy, Gauntlet, Hard Drivin', San Francisco Rush, Hydro Thunder ... the kind of things that show up alongside Defender and Joust on "Midway Arcade Treasures" colllections. Tengen was part of this. The fact that that the Atari Lynx had some of these games is because of a license agreement. 

3. Selloffs: Battlezone is the biggest one I can think of, it's independently held since the most recent Atari bankruptcy. Rollercoaster Tycoon is not an Atari holding, but they license it a lot and if the rights holder switched teams, Atari would be in even more financial trouble than they are now. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, PlaysWithWolves said:

SPOILERS:  The article has nothing to do with modern Atari 

Talk about a stretch (this is Fred Chesnais, the rooster taking credit for the sun coming up):

Do you think the resurgence of Atari is in some ways connected to the trend of nostalgia?
I would not call it nostalgia. I would say that our games do provide fun in a few minutes, with proven and addictive gameplay features. So, at a time of “multi-tasking”, e.g. talking on the phone while posting on social media and keeping an eye on some news alert, this is no surprise that our Atari games and our brand are more and more popular.

I can think of at least one other observable difference between then and now.

25948742-background-of-wood-chip-mulch.thumb.jpg.3650ff48764b2a0665eed566777f7e14.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

1 hour ago, jhd said:

Of course not everyone here is located in the United States... 

Well, I live in France but the law is basically the same here. I still don't understand why people can't get around the fact that what they do is illegal, while claiming they don't care anyway.