IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

Hello! Apologies for the radio silence here - we've been hard at work! Our end of summer announcements are coming, just hang tight! As much as we'd love to just blast all the great news on social for you guys, there is a lengthy approval process and everything must first be announced via PR. Thanks for your patience! 

"Radio silence"? Why not just "silence"?

Merriam Webster says:

In military operations, radio silence is usually a command issued from above, as out of fear that a signal might be intercepted by an enemy.

That taco truck parked at the end of the street has them worried.

And maritime radio operators, for example, might follow a directive of radio silence in order to hear faint distress signals.

Did Rob fall out of another plane?

But nowadays we might hear of a celebrity or other normally communicative figure going radio silent or giving nothing but radio silence. That occurs when the person stops making public announcements or appearances in the media.

Yeah... but that implies they were "normally communicative" or a "celebrity". But the rest of it is accurate.

There is a semantic shift from the sense used in actual radio, and not just due to the change in technology—the new use implies a willing removal from conversation on the part of the communicator, leaving the listener on the other end at a loss for information.

Bingo.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

In light of the familiar use of the term "radio silence," here's an official update for ya.....

Hello Everyone,

We are really sorry for the radio silence on our side over the last few months. After some very difficult weeks the team took some much needed downtime. We’ve also had some changes and some fantastic new people come onboard. We are back hard at it, and super excited about 2020!

The challenges of building new technology can become overwhelming. In our case there has certainly been a lot of that feeling in the last months. While that's not an excuse for silence on our side, we have been working through a number of issues and challenges to find a path forward, and apologize this update has taken time to get out. We really appreciate your support and patience as we work things through.

We've had knock-backs on several fronts. Personal, technical, financial, staffing, and more. You'll recall our choice of motherboard, which brought additional costs and delays we were not expecting. That delay led in turn to discussions with our supplier on what the initial production run will be (beyond just Indiegogo volumes) that we have been negotiating, to finally move beyond the prototype phase, which has proved more challenging that we expected. We had a great run through marketing and software development, until getting bogged down with issues in the past few months. We are doing everything we can to agree on a new plan with our partners to bring us forward.

We need more time while we figure this out and revise our overall plan. We know this isn't what you want to hear. We know you've taken a chance and invested in Atari VCS, and in us as a company, and we do not take that support lightly. We will give more details as soon as we can. In the meantime be assured we are here, working every angle 100%, and we will continue to do everything we can to keep moving forward.

Thanks as always for your support.

The Atari VCS Team.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 9/20/2019 at 11:00 AM, Flojomojo said:

IndieGoGo just updated their terms of service again. I'm not a lawyer and I don't feel like poring over the lengthy document to see what's changed between this and prior versions, but I noticed a few things in a quick glance:

• no warranty, no liability assumed for anything on their site
  • disputes need to go through arbitration, with a $250 filing fee, you bring your own lawyer
  • no class actions allowed, each dispute must be considered on an individual bases

In other words, if you send them any money, you agree that they keep it and do what they like, because you signed away a lot of basic consumer protection by choosing to do business with them. 

That's nothing really new, but it always seems very stark to see it expressed in paragraph after paragraph of BIG BLOCK LETTERS. 

Oh, and for those assuming "Atari" made a promise for "big updates later in the summer" when their social media know-nothing was stalling for time and "engagement" a few months ago: summer ends on Sunday. 

I'm going to go waaaaaay out in a limb here and say that I don't believe they're ready to show their work. 

Just been going through some of the posts on this thread.

The new terms are shocking, if perhaps not entirely unexpected. Indiegogo seem to be having to spend an inordinate amount of time and resources in recent years trying to recoup their backers' losses from failed projects. They are stamping their authority on proceedings and putting the onus on backers to perform due diligence themselves, rather than rely on the platform to do it for them.

My biggest problem with the project has always been the hardware. The length of time it's taken them means that it's likely going to be well out of date by the time it's released (if it ever will). It very much sounds like the best we can hope for is something along the lines of a Ryzen 2500U in terms of performance. But I doubt it's even close. AMD may be creaming Intel in the desktop market but they're still struggling with their laptop chips. They should have handed the project over to a third party design team, even from someone like ASUS, who have the teams that could have turned it around quickly. And they should have made it bigger so that a desktop CPU could have been used.

Someone suggested that Atari could be hedging their bets for a buyout. If they are, this is not the way to do it. It would mean that anyone wanting to buy Atari would be saddled with the development work and debt that Atari now has towards its backers.

20 minutes ago, Tickled_Pink said:

It very much sounds like the best we can hope for is something along the lines of a Ryzen 2500U in terms of performance. But I doubt it's even close.

not even that powerful, it was indicated to use a embedded ryzen so think in terms of Intel Atom, which paired with a graphics card (or in AMD's Case APU)  can in fact run a 2012 title in "hd" (hd being a bare minimum of 480p MAYBE 720, considering a low end R3G desktop APU can barely do rocket league at 720 medium) at a respectable framerate so at the bare minimum someone googled or watched a youtube video or 2 

Edited by Osgeld

33 minutes ago, JBerel said:
34 minutes ago, JBerel said:

Hello Everyone,

We are really sorry for the radio silence on our side over the last few months. After some very difficult weeks the team took some much needed downtime. We’ve also had some changes and some fantastic new people come onboard. We are back hard at it, and super excited about 2020!

The challenges of building new technology can become overwhelming. In our case there has certainly been a lot of that feeling in the last months. While that's not an excuse for silence on our side, we have been working through a number of issues and challenges to find a path forward, and apologize this update has taken time to get out. We really appreciate your support and patience as we work things through.

We've had knock-backs on several fronts. Personal, technical, financial, staffing, and more. You'll recall our choice of motherboard, which brought additional costs and delays we were not expecting. That delay led in turn to discussions with our supplier on what the initial production run will be (beyond just Indiegogo volumes) that we have been negotiating, to finally move beyond the prototype phase, which has proved more challenging that we expected. We had a great run through marketing and software development, until getting bogged down with issues in the past few months. We are doing everything we can to agree on a new plan with our partners to bring us forward.

We need more time while we figure this out and revise our overall plan. We know this isn't what you want to hear. We know you've taken a chance and invested in Atari VCS, and in us as a company, and we do not take that support lightly. We will give more details as soon as we can. In the meantime be assured we are here, working every angle 100%, and we will continue to do everything we can to keep moving forward.

Thanks as always for your support.

The Atari VCS Team.

Two absolute truths can be gleaned from this:

1. Pressure from social media necessitated that they address their lack of communication.

2. They're not shipping in December. Period.

• Like 1

Also from Atari 5 days ago on Reddit:

...that is why we have a development blog on Medium, along with an active social media presence. We've been upfront about delays and so forth. We fully understand it won't appease all, and that's okay!

We're working vigorously to do right by the fans, backers, and supporters. Part of that is creating safe, approachable communities free of trolls and misinformation.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JBerel said:

In light of the familiar use of the term "radio silence," here's an official update for ya.....

Wow. Knock me down with a feather.

Is that for real? I would've expected ripples across the SupporterSphere.

Edited by racerx

1 hour ago, JBerel said:

I don't understand. Was this posted somewhere, or are you putting words in their mouth, as something they could say at this point in time? 

Edit: ah, never mind, I figured it out, very clever. It's what Feargal Mac said about the GameBand before they packed it in, no refunds, thanks for the fun times folks. The original is quoted here on r/shittykickstarters

You should probably put a disclaimer on that lest people think you're trolling harder than you actually are. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Yeah...Flo wins....tacos on me!

It's plausible sounding because that's how it happened last time. I just replaced kickstarter with Indiegogo, and gameband with AtariVCS. The last time we heard the phrase, "sorry for our radio silence," was from the last group of village idiots who couldn't communicate for shit either.

I said it was an official update, not necessarily from Atari........yet.

Edited by JBerel
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, MrBeefy said:

So is December 21st the new countdown date? Since that should be the first day of winter?

The date they posted previously said shipping November 2019. There is absolutely no way that happens. I highly doubt they come out in March 2020 either. Start looking at November or December of 2020 to finally see whatever the hell they end up calling the finished product. As underwhelming as it's sure to be.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Shawn said:

The date they posted previously said shipping November 2019. There is absolutely no way that happens. I highly doubt they come out in March 2020 either. Start looking at November or December of 2020 to finally see whatever the hell they end up calling the finished product. As underwhelming as it's sure to be.

I doubt even the fanatics can wait that long. Poor John. :( If they don't come through I will feel bad for him. We should send him a card.

• Like 2

I have a hard time following Brandon.

So does he think this is worth the same as a $750 PC?

They are selling it at profit for $300. It isn't worth $750. The back catalog is worth $9.99 on steam. And it isn't a console and it isn't worth $200. 

How much would a generic AMD board like this cost?

my pc all in was (just) under 700$ 

not including screen mouse or keyboard, in reality it was about 400$ out of pocket, but the 300$ difference was I built it when video cards were knuts in prices, but I got it for free thanks lifetime warranty on old video card that served me since 2012

one could build the same spec (not custom work) pc for about 400$ today thanks to video card prices and ryzen 3 cpu's being out

Ryzen 7 2700 overclocked to 4 GHZ all 8 cores 

16 gigs (3.2ghz) ram 

500 gig pci express nvme drive 

1TB spinning hard drive

AMD Radieon RX570 super duper over clocked 

with windows 10

effin DVD drive, ever try to find a pc case with a dvd drive slot that doesnt look like its the black edition of a windows 98 era pc??? Dremel + home depot solved that for me lol 

20190407_133247.jpg.bd021bfa3fb8335a69a0cf3ee2c742e0.jpg

Edited by Osgeld
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, MrBeefy said:

I have a hard time following Brandon.

So does he think this is worth the same as a $750 PC?

They are selling it at profit for $300. It isn't worth $750. The back catalog is worth $9.99 on steam. And it isn't a console and it isn't worth $200. 

How much would a generic AMD board like this cost?

I never understood Brandon since a few of his previous posts sounded like gibberish.  And this coming from a guy who wants to be, or already is, a nurse.

• Like 2