IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

2 hours ago, racerx said:

The sharp, bright lines and even brighter Asteroids bullets just can't be replicated even close to properly.

Vector graphics can be done on a LCD properly, or at least they can look better compared to what you normally see in MAME and other emulators.  AAE is a dedicated vector-game emulator that does a really good job simulating the glow and fade effects of vector monitors, right down to the brilliant dots of the bullets in Asteroids.  Still a far cry from a true vector monitor, but also a far cry from emulators that don't try.  It's been discussed before on AtariAge too.

Sadly AAE seems to have fallen out of development, but the latest release still runs on my Win7 box.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, FujiSkunk said:

Vector graphics can be done on a LCD properly, or at least they can look better compared to what you normally see in MAME and other emulators.  AAE is a dedicated vector-game emulator that does a really good job simulating the glow and fade effects of vector monitors, right down to the brilliant dots of the bullets in Asteroids

Not to drag us too far off tacopic, but AAE will display vectors better, nowhere near properly. You'll never get that contrast or phosphor traces from an LCD.

Regardless, the built-to-a-price screen of the 1UPs is a travesty.

Edited by racerx
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, racerx said:

Not to drag us too far off tacopic, but AAE will display vectors better, nowhere near properly. You'll never get that contrast or phosphor traces from an LCD.

And to add to that: I seem to recall that AAE only works on a very limited selection of video cards, and only under Windows.  If you're using a different OS, ArcadeVGA card, or unsupported video card, you're SOL.

2 minutes ago, racerx said:

Regardless, the built-to-a-price screen of the 1UPs is a travesty.

Agreed.  I'm not expecting CRTs to go back into production anytime soon, but even raster games look poor on the Arcade1UP.

Derail complete; ? for relevance.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The other day I started a chat about peripherals over on the regular reddit sub I’m allowed in, it was pretty good to hear different perspectives. Some folks thought I might be a corporate plant, that was genuinely funny.

Moral of this story? It got me thinking about taco peripherals, so tonight I added some beans and rice to our taco dinner.

Whats your favorite taco side?

D865F0E2-E420-4A5D-AF29-0D35D2CA3E05.jpeg

• Like 2

Hahaha really trying to justify that they have nothing.

Screenshot_20190926-184754_Facebook.thumb.jpg.24426145e603d2cdecfce7c6b52e217c.jpg

Screenshot_20190824-174842_Twitter.thumb.jpg.aef91f2a91c0ca08551907d627e3e841.jpgScreenshot_20190824-175013_Facebook.thumb.jpg.5ed93b3d2a766799994a3136073ab40a.jpgScreenshot_20190826-011634_Twitter.thumb.jpg.7f7dc359b745f6c66f24bd672d54d39d.jpg

He's the expert on knowing what its like being triggered. His 'burn' wasn't even registered by the guy at first lol. Lame.

Sad thing is it isn't us who are mad. Its backers like him. Can't wait until he doesn't get his VCS but a lump of coal for Christmas.

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, racerx said:

Don't. I'd never hurt my daughter's feelings because it was a gift, but the vector graphics on an LCD monitor just don't work.

The sharp, bright lines and even brighter Asteroids bullets just can't be replicated even close to properly.

If one ever becomes available locally for $75 new, I would buy it, strip it and finally build my Tempest 2000 cabinet with proper graphics and all the goodies to go with it. With that said, I’ve never seen them on clearance here. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Clint Thompson said:

If one ever becomes available locally for $75 new, I would buy it, strip it and finally build my Tempest 2000 cabinet with proper graphics and all the goodies to go with it. With that said, I’ve never seen them on clearance here. 

You know I run the Arcade1Up subreddit too, we post deals when we find them. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Osgeld said:

There's a 2 places  in our neck of the woods that looks almost identical to that, Tennessee seems to be having a "real deal" street style taco boom cause even a few years ago it was name brand corn shells with american cheese 

I’m in the Nashville area, a smaller town about half an hour north-ish. Would’ve never expected street tacos to be so good in the smaller towns outside of Nashville but I’m addicted. My ex showed me this place and that’s probably the best thing to come out of that relationship.

Edited by The Strangest
  • Like 2

yep I work in h-ville and there's 2 great taco shops within a few min of work 

anyway after almost a decade, nice to meet a fairly new local 

PS check out game eXchange in rivergate if you havent already, its almost always buy one get one free on 2600 games 

Edited by Osgeld
  • Like 2

I'm a late-comer to this topic, but is the Atari VCS a total scam?

I seem to remember they were saying it was going to be a game system when they initially announced, but the more I heard (early on), the more it sounded like a Linux box running emulators. As a result, I stopped following the news...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, keithbk said:

I seem to remember they were saying it was going to be a game system when they initially announced, but the more I heard (early on), the more it sounded like a Linux box running emulators. As a result, I stopped following the news...

Hanlon's Razor:

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity."

https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanlon's_razor

• Like 5

6 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

If it's legit, it's kinda sad. If it's not, it's kinda sad. ?

On the threatened marriage story...

Sounds to me like some very painstaking trolling (to use the word loosely). "Don't ban me. I'm not the bad guy. I'm on your side. But pray tell how would you address this criticism?"

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, JaqenHghar said:

On the threatened marriage story...

Sounds to me like some very painstaking trolling (to use the word loosely). "Don't ban me. I'm not the bad guy. I'm on your side. But pray tell how would you address this criticism?"

You revert back to they never promised us anything. You invested. Get over your money loss. Well and loss of your wife.

I think Atari dumped a huge chunk into their own campaign. Think about this. The hardcore supporters group has what around 250 people. Not all of them have probably backed it but lets assume they have.

Look at all their social media posts. If you add up all comments, reactions, and shares it only amounts to around a little over 200 (being generous since some are multiple posts from same people). Their twitter is horrible. Out of 10,000 backers only 200 give a crap online? If you look through them the only positives come from the Ataritrolls supporter group.

The main thing they are doing is still pimping pre-orders. I don't think they have enough real backers and not enough pre-orders to even produce these things and make a profit or even cover cost of production.

You can't swindle anymore backers. So, instead they stall abd pray the pre-orders somehow change things. Which it won't.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, keithbk said:

given past performance, bumming money off of people to fund a company, 2.3 years since announcement, no absolute updates, no proof of software, no proof of hardware, fake videos, blatant lies, proven slightly above crude 3d prints as production model's for what 4 industry shows and NOW complete radar silence 

seriously what do you think?

post-2641-0-08848400-1527787282.gif

that's like on day 342 of this shit show, figure it out already, my stupid tv's bezel doesn't morph with my finger, oh that's right, its real 

Edited by Osgeld
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, keithbk said:

It's following a similar path as the Coleco Chameleon dumpster fire.  You've got Fred in charge of the whole thing and all he can see are Euros and Dollars.   When Fox Business news has 5 minutes to kill, they say, "Hey, let's do another interview with that French guy who thinks Atari is going to be big again. And ask him if we can play Sonic."

2 hours ago, MrBeefy said:

The main thing they are doing is still pimping pre-orders. I don't think they have enough real backers and not enough pre-orders to even produce these things and make a profit or even cover cost of production.

You can't swindle anymore backers. So, instead they stall abd pray the pre-orders somehow change things. Which it won't.

Very same thought

• Like 3