IGNORED

RetroN 77

jeremiahjt

Asking the gamer not to buy a product they planned on buying anyway is a fruitless endeavor.

Of course this won't work for all people. But after being made aware, everyone who still buys stolen goods, has no excuses. Consuming also comes with responsibility!

Anyway, fortunately it looks like this discussion has become irrelevant here.

• Like 4

Certainly, there are many obscure controllers out there, but the system will not support any other types of peripherals out of the box.

Can you confirm it will work with the original Atari joysticks and paddles?

Also, there is a system out there which emulates the Commodore 64 which contains an SD card slot, but the issue with that system is the system can only handle 1 game on the SD card at a time. So if you want to play a different game, you have to delete the game on the SD card and put the other one on. Please tell me that the Retron 77 can handle putting multiple ROM's on one card? Does the GUI allow you to navigate which one you want to play? Thanks!

Edited by atarifan88
  • Like 1

I am glad to see the update, and as one other posted, most of my concerns were addressed.

Since this is an open source project, there is the potential for one to be able to tinker. Might encourage someone to get their feet wet with some development where they otherwise might not either due to not wanting to deal with a 40 year old console or don't have much time.

Awwwww... Indy 500 is awesome; without the driving controllers folks can't play it. :(

It's not ideal, but there's always the potential for an AtGames style solution here thanks to the open source nature of this product.

Their Atari Flashback line doesn't support this accessory, yet Indy 500 is included under its Sears name and is fully playable with joysticks.

Edited by Atariboy

Thanks for the update Andrew, it pretty much ticks most of the boxes I’m interested in.

I’m not crazy about the front panel design (too cluttered and haphazard, perhaps having the buttons in black vs white would help it look a bit more dignified), but that’s just cosmetic, and the shell itself is a decent enough homage.

What will make or break the device for me personally is the input latency, considering the instantaneous response of the original. I had to give up on Raspberry Pi emulation for this reason, so I hope Hyperkin can improve on that.

If you reread that first release, he does say original joystick and paddles are supported.

I think he means the driving controller and keypads aren't supported.

I noticed that he said not supported “out of the box” rather than mentioning hardware incompatibility, so perhaps this is something that could be addressed by the open source nature of the device.

• Like 1

How does the recent update impact on Stella? Has Hyperkin scammed the programmers? Who did they license the early version from, if not from the people who've worked on the program and who have posted in this thread? They say it's an "open-source system", but is that disingenuous? It has an SD card for homebrews, which makes it the same as a harmony for me, but I would like to know more about their Stella agreement before buying the product. Has Hyperkin developed their own version of Stella?

How does the recent update impact on Stella? Has Hyperkin scammed the programmers? Who did they license the early version from, if not from the people who've worked on the program and who have posted in this thread? They say it's an "open-source system", but is that disingenuous? It has an SD card for homebrews, which makes it the same as a harmony for me, but I would like to know more about their Stella agreement before buying the product. Has Hyperkin developed their own version of Stella?

Going by the information in the post from Andrew, Hyperkin is not planning to “scam the programmers’ of Stella.

Hyperkin did apparently license an older version of Stella initially, but realized it wasn’t worth the effort required to bring it up to speed and so have decided in the end to use the current version. In order to do this, under the GPL license used, they are required to post the sourcecode used, along with any additional changes made. According to the last update, Hyperkin will go this route and fully respect the terms of the license. This is a win for everyone, in my opinion.

Edited by Jstick
  • Like 7

So, this won't have Harmony support, but will the SD card be like defacto Harmony?

And if not, would its open-source nature allow others to build in support for it, or things like the oddball controllers like the driving controllers, or the Foot Craz pedals, etc?

Glad to hear they are licensing Stella the right way.

Will it support Trak-Balls™ playing Trak-Ball™ hacks, in Trak-Ball™ mode?

If the Retron77 can handle more than one simultaneous directional joystick input such as U+D or L+R, then there is a good chance driving / trackballs will work. I could easily verify this behavior with a Sterplex controller and test cart ROM. If the encoder treats the joystick as a a directional pad, then L+R and U+D are not possible, and will result in only one direction pressed, or cancel out the input. In that situation, driving controllers / trackballs will not function properly.

Hyperkin also stated that Genesis controllers are supported. Numerous homebrews allow the use of Genesis controllers with an extra function assigned to the C button. Will the games designed for Genesis pads be able to read the C button?

Certainly, other standard joysticks (like our Cirka controller for example) are also supported, as well as Genesis/MD gamepads. Standard paddle controllers are supported as well.

That is all great to hear, but this caught my eye. I had no idea Cirka was a RetroN product, or maybe both products of the same parent company. This probably wouldn't have even registered if I had not bought a Cirka A77 last week to play Spy Hunter with in the Dual Control Module. It fits great by the way, even better than a CX-40.

All of the recent uodates aound great. I really appreciate that Hyperkin is being so open about the development of their new console. I am unconcerned with a price increase, as long as its a quality product.

I do have to say that Trak-ball support is vital to me. I also wish this machine ran 7800 games. I know Stella doesnt support 7800 tittles, but it still seems like a missed opportunity. The additional compatibility would definitely be another strong selling point.

• Like 1

That is all great to hear, but this caught my eye. I had no idea Cirka was a RetroN product, or maybe both products of the same parent company. This probably wouldn't have even registered if I had not bought a Cirka A77 last week to play Spy Hunter with in the Dual Control Module. It fits great by the way, even better than a CX-40.

Do you like your A77? Amazon reviews of this item are harsh.

It does feel cheap in the build materials department, but so far it has worked great. I tested it out with Defender to make sure the cardinal directions and diagonals all work, which they do, and since then I have done nothing but play Spy Hunter with it.

I used for a long time 2 Cirka A77 before upgrading my original CX40 joysticks with Best gold PCB. A77 are responsive with great tactile feedback, very close to upgraded CX40, but more prone to break. Anyway, we are all grown up now, we know there is no need to be brutal. I never broke a A77 myself in one hundred hours of play ;-)