IGNORED

RetroN 77

jeremiahjt

How can I cancel my Pre-Order?

With the ROM limitation, this device won't be much use for me since I don't own a lot of cartridges and don't really want to build a large collection.

This limitation saddens me as I was really looking forward to owning the Retron 77.

The Retron 77 is an open console, and can be modified to remove that limitation.

Will that void the warranty?

Since the console is designed to be modified, I'd say no, unless you try to modify it in a way that it wasn't designed for, like trying to turn it into a Colecovision. ;-)

I expect software modification would be as easy as loading new software onto the SD card, of course my other assumption is that original software can be loaded back in case the modified software doesn't work.

And of course only Hyperkin can officially answer the question about voiding the warranty for removing the SD rom limitation. I hope to see more discussion on this topic.

https://hyperkinlab.com/warranty/

• Like 1

Since the console is designed to be modified, I'd say no, unless you try to modify it in a way that it wasn't designed for, like trying to turn it into a Colecovision. ;-)

Or an AtariVCS but who in the hell in their right mind would want to do that. Maybe it could be modded so you can insert $300 into the machine and watch it disappear. :D

• Like 1

The limitation can be easily removed if you really require to have lots of freeware / hombrew games - remember its all open-source so the GUI could be modified or removed altogether so that youd have just the basic Stella interface.

Cant wait until 7/7. All this talk about how easy it is to remove the limitation has got me wondering whether it is as simple as changing a configuration file or something more straight forward as adding multiple Rom directories just name slightly different such as ROM2, ROMS3, etc. Or perhaps sub folders in the ROMs directory named Page1, Page2, etc.

I guess well all learn soon enough. For me, the convenience of being able to access more will be nice, but the reality is that at any given time, I dont think I typically have more than 10-15 games in rotation that I play. The big thing (for me) is the newer homebrew compatibility, like Space Rocks and (if I saw Metal Jesus menu correctly), Draconian.

Nothing is confirmed yet about this year's Flashback. Just hints that SD rom support is a genuine possibility.

The rumors would appear to suggest that they're likely taking similar path is as that which Hyperkin has taken. I believe Bill Loguidice has said that it will be using a popular and well respected Atari 2600 emulator.

To me at least, that says Stella.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

Nothing is confirmed yet about this year's Flashback. Just hints that SD rom support is a genuine possibility.

The rumors would appear to suggest that they're likely taking similar path is as that which Hyperkin has taken. I believe Bill Loguidice has said that it will be using a popular and well respected Atari 2600 emulator.

To me at least, that says Stella.

The previous handheld flashbacks didn't run new homebrews because of software limitations. So I'm not sure the new flashbacks will either. I had never heard of new emulation software to be used by AtGames. I guess we will have to wait and see.

On a separate note, I can't understand why people are so up in arms about the lack of Genesis control support. It's an Atari 2600 product for crying out loud! You can't blame them for this. It's like expecting a PS4 & XBox to be compatible with their controllers. This doesn't bother me in the least because I would much rather have a more genuine gaming experience using the original controllers the system was designed for.

• Like 2

Yea I've never been a big fan of using Genesis pads on my 2600's either. IMO arcade games should be played with joysticks. I have friends who refuse to use anything other than genesis pads though and can't understand why I'd use an "inferior" controller but to each their own I suppose.

• Like 2

Yea I've never been a big fan of using Genesis pads on my 2600's either. IMO arcade games should be played with joysticks. I have friends who refuse to use anything other than genesis pads though and can't understand why I'd use an "inferior" controller but to each their own I suppose.

I have to admit that I am a convert, for years I never could play 2600 games on a non 2600 controller but now my 40 year old controllers are working less than good so I plugged in an old Genesis 6 button controller (missing a button) and I absolutely love using it now.

• Like 2

The previous handheld flashbacks didn't run new homebrews because of software limitations. So I'm not sure the new flashbacks will either. I had never heard of new emulation software to be used by AtGames. I guess we will have to wait and see.

The Atari Flashbacks do run new homebrews, even new SuperCharger games have been recompiled for it.

I think the distinction is it doesn't support modern homebrews that run on the 32-bit CPU in the cartridge, though the Atari Flashbacks did have one experimental 32-bit ARM game available on the unit for marketing research (Frogger).

Given the results they may or may not be inclined to limit howebrew programmers to developing 8-bit Atari 2600 games with only classic expansion technologies from the 80's.

OTOH if the AtariBox experiment does well we might see Atari consoles released with 64-bit and 128-bit cores built in that can support additional emulators and allow us to play them with an Atari feel:

imagine loading up your favourite PS3 or PS4 game and throwing an Atari-effects switch on the console to pixelate the image by routing it through a (real or emulated) 8-bit TIA like those modern homebrews do?

It would actually be pretty cool and I would want one! Modern attempts to show pixelated Atari games generally don't capture the characteristics of the classic hardware.

A Harmony cartridge with multiple retro and modern system emulator cores that run on the internal CPU and pixelate their video through the Atari would be similarly interesting to see. Even better if there is a video out on the cart to have the option to view the games in native format.

• Like 2

I play homebrews on my handheld Flashback.

They can't make it play commercial roms while locking out homebrews (Other than those doing something unusual like Space Rocks that obviously run won't if the emulator isn't coded to make it possible), unless they run a checksum and then compare it to a list of known rom images to decide what rom images are allowed to run and what not to allow.

The Atari Flashback Portable does nothing of the sort and dozens of homebrews like Juno First are in the rom pack distributed here at AtariAge.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 2

It's because of an imperfect emulator that isn't very accurate. Many commercial releases also don't work or have been hacked to enable compatibility.

Their representative at AtariAge, Bill Loguidice, has stated here at AtariAge that a high quality open source Atari 2600 emulator will be powering their 2018 HD 2600 themed products. So it seems safe to assume that it will be much more accurate this year and if sd rom support indeed is a feature of the final product, will offer compatibility with a much wider range of the 2600's library than the Atari Flashback Portable has the past two years.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 2

It's because of an imperfect emulator that isn't very accurate. Many commercial releases also don't work or have been hacked to enable compatibility.

Their representative at AtariAge, Bill Loguidice, has stated here at AtariAge that a high quality open source Atari 2600 emulator will be powering their 2018 HD 2600 themed products. So it seems safe to assume that it will be much more accurate this year and if sd rom support indeed is a feature of the final product, will offer compatibility with a much wider range of the 2600's library than the Atari Flashback Portable has the past two years.

This could be better news than the Retron 77 limitation of up to 18 Roms as long as the compatibility is relative. I know homebrews like scramble or Super Cobra Arcade will not work unless you have Stella 5 or higher, so here's to hoping AtGames hits one out of the park!

• Like 1

Some counterpoints.

The Atari Flashbacks do run new homebrews, even new SuperCharger games have been recompiled for it.

I don't consider an emulator valid if it required game X to be patched and recompiled.

I think the distinction is it doesn't support modern homebrews that run on the 32-bit CPU in the cartridge, though the Atari Flashbacks did have one experimental 32-bit ARM game available on the unit for marketing research (Frogger).

While maybe written for ARM architecture, I don't see this as being an "ARM game" in the Harmony/Melody sense. Seems to be custom written for that once piece of hardware.

Given the results they may or may not be inclined to limit howebrew programmers to developing 8-bit Atari 2600 games with only classic expansion technologies from the 80's.

I'm not sure any homebrew programmers are going to abide by any limitations set forth by portable console. Virtual Console Stella and the traditional VCS set the standards and limits of what homebrewers do today.

OTOH if the AtariBox experiment does well we might see Atari consoles released with 64-bit and 128-bit cores built in that can support additional emulators and allow us to play them with an Atari feel:

imagine loading up your favourite PS3 or PS4 game and throwing an Atari-effects switch on the console to pixelate the image by routing it through a (real or emulated) 8-bit TIA like those modern homebrews do?

It would actually be pretty cool and I would want one! Modern attempts to show pixelated Atari games generally don't capture the characteristics of the classic hardware.

I think this is way way off into the future. But an Atari-effects switch could be fun. And I do agree that "modern-pixels" looks pretty dumb. Doesn't look retro at all does it..?

I don't use a Genesis gamepad, but I do like using this.

gen_fighterstick_sg6.jpg

So I hope they fix this incompatibility and make their controller support more akin to that of a genuine Atari 2600. :)

I wonder if it would work with one of the SEGA to 7800 adapters for two button functionality. Those in effect turn it into a 7800 pad. Fingers crossed. I have one and will be testing it on day one.

• Like 1

Some counterpoints.

I don't consider an emulator valid if it required game X to be patched and recompiled.

While maybe written for ARM architecture, I don't see this as being an "ARM game" in the Harmony/Melody sense. Seems to be custom written for that once piece of hardware.

I'm not sure any homebrew programmers are going to abide by any limitations set forth by portable console. Virtual Console Stella and the traditional VCS set the standards and limits of what homebrewers do today.

I think this is way way off into the future. But an Atari-effects switch could be fun. And I do agree that "modern-pixels" looks pretty dumb. Doesn't look retro at all does it..?

Nukey patched the classics that were incompatible same as he did for the SuperCharger. I think that only invalidates the emu to the degree it is incompatible, which is pretty small considering a lot more games had to be patched for the SuperCharger.
I agree recompiling is a stretch, but turning SuperCharger games into CBS RAM games (or another memory scheme) is the only way to support them on the Flashback because the emulator is missing native support for the SuperCharger format, definitely an oversight since those are some of the best games.

I consider the Flashback Emu valid and support it because it is in an Atari console that lets many people enjoy Atari games who would not otherwise play them like the more dedicated Atari fans on this forum who are into emulation and classic hardware.

The Retron77 is in this category too.

Good point Flashback Frogger does not look like an Atari game the way those ARM homebrews do.

Yes the modern pixels look is usually awful and precisely what's so magical about those ARM games. They get the look right while still being modern games for driving their video output through the TIA.

The TIA can handle high frame rates, 60 FPS of pixelated full screen video is possible. Here's a related idea - a cart could be made with a composite or HDMI video input so you could connect any classic or modern console and see a perfectly pixelated Atari version!

• Like 1