IGNORED

AtGames Fall 2017 Flashback and Portable Lineup

At a Target store last week, I realized that if you really, really can't wait for the AFB8 line to come out, you can currently approximate some of the contents via spending a total of ~$60--same as the non-Gold AFB8 MSRP--at Target on three products.

- Basic Fun/The Bridge Direct's 2017 "Atari 2600" 10-game plug-n-play system

Then, there's a Missile Command whose origin I can't identify (anyone know?) but definitely doesn't look 2600-like

Yeah, $19.95 each and Missile Command looks like an emulation port of the Atari 5200, 800 or arcade version to me!

:cool:

Edited by TrekkiELO

I have seen flashback 8s in stores recently but the gold version.

And you likely won't see any of the HD models until early October. They're close to being locked down for production. Again, the good news is is there are a multitude of improvements over the original reviewer units, so the month or so delay is well worth it.

Still no word on the Activision HD pre-orders, but that product too is being finalized. That should hit stores around November, though.

• Like 5

Target says street date of September 22nd, for $69.99 for Flashback 8 Gold

https://www.target.com/p/atari-flashback-8-gold-console/-/A-52604683

Of course, we'll get it when we get it ... dates don't matter if they haven't shipped yet.

Gamestop says October 24th, for $69.99 for Flashback 8 Gold, which seems more realistic

http://www.gamestop.com/elect/consoles/atari-flashback-8-gold-system/151321

BestBuy says October 9th, also $69.99

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/atari-flashback-8-gold-console-black/5901953.p

No pre-orders via AtGames, Amazon, ToysRUs or Walmart yet. I can't think of other places that would sell this, can you?

• Like 2

Target says street date of September 22nd, for $69.99 for Flashback 8 Gold

https://www.target.com/p/atari-flashback-8-gold-console/-/A-52604683

Of course, we'll get it when we get it ... dates don't matter if they haven't shipped yet.

Gamestop says October 24th, for $69.99 for Flashback 8 Gold, which seems more realistic

http://www.gamestop.com/elect/consoles/atari-flashback-8-gold-system/151321

BestBuy says October 9th, also $69.99

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/atari-flashback-8-gold-console-black/5901953.p

No pre-orders via AtGames, Amazon, ToysRUs or Walmart yet. I can't think of other places that would sell this, can you?

I just bought the all new 2017 Atari Flashback Portable with 70 games including Namco ones at one of my local Toys R Us stores in Ontario, California, today for $53.86, that total includes tax, they had 5 left, you can also buy it online here https://www.toysrus.com/product?productId=126158146

Atari Flashback 8 Classic Game Console https://www.toysrus.com/product?productId=126158136

Edited by TrekkiELO
  • Like 1

Cool I hope you like the Atari portable, its not perfect but its pretty neat.

I think folks should skip the plain Flashback 8 in my opinion and get the HD Gold or Activision Gold one. 720p digital AV, wireless graphics. I guess the SD one is fine if you have analog AV inputs and like wired controllers.

As we have pointed out here before, the line is needlessly confusing. Too many variants.

• Like 3

Cool I hope you like the Atari portable, its not perfect but its pretty neat.

I think folks should skip the plain Flashback 8 in my opinion and get the HD Gold or Activision Gold one. 720p digital AV, wireless graphics. I guess the SD one is fine if you have analog AV inputs and like wired controllers.

As we have pointed out here before, the line is needlessly confusing. Too many variants.

Thanks, this is my 2nd Atari Flashback Portable after its debut last year (2016) with Frogger, I also do plan on getting the Atari Flashback 8 Activision Gold Edition in November because I've got all of them, 1-6, except I'd skipped 7 for obvious reasons, there was nothing new!

Edited by TrekkiELO
  • Like 1

I know the game lists for each console haven't been finalized yet, but just looking at those arcade-like conversions of Space Invaders & Frogger, if they still remain on the Flashback Gold and not the Activision Edition, I may be swayed to "go for the gold!" ;-)

It all depends on what the finalized list is and what you are getting extra on the Activision Edition. For me it's not about quantity, but quality (or my personal favorite titles). Here's to hoping we get a final list soon! :cool:

EDIT: You can find an old comparison list of the games HERE. Scroll down to the bottom to view the list.

Edited by atarifan88
  • Like 1

I know the game lists for each console haven't been finalized yet, but just looking at those arcade-like conversions of Space Invaders & Frogger, if they still remain on the Flashback Gold and not the Activision Edition, I may be swayed to "go for the gold!" ;-)

It all depends on what the finalized list is and what you are getting extra on the Activision Edition. For me it's not about quantity, but quality (or my personal favorite titles). Here's to hoping we get a final list soon! :cool:

EDIT: You can find an old comparison list of the games HERE. Scroll down to the bottom to view the list.

The game lists for all of the Atari and Sega HD consoles are finalized, it's just a matter of when the announcements will be made. It looks like there will be an embargo on reviews of the revised hardware so everything is in sync and not announced haphazardly. Info should be out soon, including on the book project I worked on with Prima.

• Like 3

I guess the question I have right now would be, is Space Invader & Frogger getting taken off both the Activision & Gold editions or just one of the two? Still hoping paddles get included in one of them. That would sway my decision greatly! :cool:

Space Invaders and Frogger will be on the Atari Flashback 8 Gold, but not on the Atari Flashback 8 Gold: Activision Edition.

• Like 1

At a Target store last week, I realized that if you really, really can't wait for the AFB8 line to come out, you can currently approximate some of the contents via spending a total of ~$60--same as the non-Gold AFB8 MSRP--at Target on three products.

- Basic Fun/The Bridge Direct's 2017 "Atari 2600" 10-game plug-n-play system

The last of the above, shown at February's NY Toy Fair in prototype form, has apparently hit stores in recent weeks. There's an overview of it on Willie's Arcade USA YouTube channel, and based on that footage, I'm pretty sure the system runs on a NOAC and mostly reuses games from the 2004 AFB1

onmode-ky

Yeah, $19.95 each and Missile Command looks like an emulation port of the Atari 5200, 800 or arcade version to me!

Okay is this going to be another not-for-Canada item like the Basic Fun Q*Bert? I ask cuz I'm interested in that particular 10-in-1 that Willie showed but I can't find them anywhere.

Hi Bill

will the new Atari Portable be more compatible,than the 1st

one?

Is HD necessary to use the Flashback 8 Gold?

or can it be used on a TV without HD?

greetings Walter

The new Atari portable might be slightly more compatible, but not by much. For instance, Galaxian now works and is included.

The three HD consoles are HDMI only and output 720p. If you need SD then the composite budget versions of the two consoles are available.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for posting in multiple topics, but... there are multiple topics. Here's the final game list for the Sega Genesis Flashback: http://armchairarcade.com/perspectives/2017/09/28/sega-genesis-flashback-2017-official-game-list-revised/

Any word on the Atari Flashback final game list?

Sorry for posting in multiple topics, but... there are multiple topics. Here's the final game list for the Sega Genesis Flashback: http://armchairarcade.com/perspectives/2017/09/28/sega-genesis-flashback-2017-official-game-list-revised/

This is looking like a mighty fine product! I think I'll finally be picking up a Sega Flashback.

Extra kudos to AtGames for removing nine of the "bonus games" and adding in 7 Master System games and 2 Game Gear games.

If you guys are interested, we can start a new thread on the topic to discuss it further, but my next book, due out the end of November, Atari Flashback: The Essential Companion, is now officially public. You can read a summary from me here, but what follows are the main details as summarized by the publisher, Prima Games:

51EksjB-DIL.jpg

A Classic Console—40 Years in the Making! The classic Atari 2600 console has captured the hearts of gamers of all ages. This retrospective celebrates many of its greatest games. Travel back in time when a joystick and a single button were the only things needed for endless hours of fun!

Relive the Nostalgia: Includes original box art, full-color screenshots, classic advertisements, and more!

Covers Over 65 Classic Games: Includes Adventure, Asteroids, Centipede, Missile Command, and Yars’ Revenge!

The Console: A look back at the history of the Atari 2600 in all its glory – all 40 years!

Plus Much More! Packed with fun facts, tips and tricks, and details on how to play the games!

Free Mobile-Friendly eGuide: Includes a code to access the eGuide, a web-access version of the complete guide optimized for a second-screen experience.

• Like 5