IGNORED

AtGames Fall 2017 Flashback and Portable Lineup

I posted the official final game lists for all of the 2017 AtGames products on Armchair Arcade: http://armchairarcade.com/perspectives/

The only one missing is the Atari Flashback 8 Gold Activision Edition Console because we're still waiting on confirmation on one of the titles.

What about the Atari Flashback 8 Gold Activision Edition Console game list, has Pitfall II: Lost Caverns been confirmed?!

:cool:

Edited by TrekkiELO

Cnet posted a review of the Sega unit. It's not great, but it's less harsh than Gamespot's "don't buy this" writeup. Cnet complains about the filler-ware, listing them by name, and calls out the lag, comparing the Flashback unfavorably to the 3DS port of Sonic. Also many call-outs to the NES Classic, which gets it right in terms of build quality, and software responsiveness. They do acknowledge the cartridge feature, but point out how it is awkward.

They have a postscript saying that revised hardware is on the way and they'll reassess when that drops.

https://www.cnet.com/products/sega-genesis-flashback/review/

Re: taking the license elsewhere: There are other manufacturers out there, but I have doubts about anyone else pulling this off *under budget* like AtGames does. We aren't happy with these as retro replicas, but I'll wager they're meeting business expectations. They wouldn't be re-re-re-releasing the Sega Genesis Portable in roughly the same form for almost ten years if it didn't sell well. There's more to product management than satisfying the picky nerd outliers like us.

• Like 1

What about the Atari Flashback 8 Gold Activision Edition Console game list, has Pitfall II: Lost Caverns been confirmed?!

I forget where I posted the update. Pitfall II is still not on it. Maybe next year. News will be late next month (August) and pre-orders late the month after. There will be no paddles included in any of the versions (no retailers ended up being interested). It's still the version to get.

• Like 2

They have a postscript saying that revised hardware is on the way and they'll reassess when that drops.

https://www.cnet.com/products/sega-genesis-flashback/review/

Yeah, we had to do that because it's really NOT the final product that will be in consumer's hands. Unfortunately, it was too late to get in front of it. It's a terrible mistake that shouldn't have happened and one that the reputation of the product may not be able to recover from. Still, they're working around the clock now to track down and fix the issues. They're still hoping to make the target launch date.

• Like 2

Yeah, we had to do that because it's really NOT the final product that will be in consumer's hands. Unfortunately, it was too late to get in front of it. It's a terrible mistake that shouldn't have happened and one that the reputation of the product may not be able to recover from. Still, they're working around the clock now to track down and fix the issues. They're still hoping to make the target launch date.

Maybe just maybe this can be one case where:

1. Low expectations for an AtGames product actually work in its favor. Always better to underpromise and over deliver.

2. Lazy reviewers don't go deeper than the specs on the box and the press releases they receive.

I hope it works out. Seems to me it's likely to outsell SNES MIni on strength of distribution, regardless of quality!

• Like 1

Maybe just maybe this can be one case where:

1. Low expectations for an AtGames product actually work in its favor. Always better to underpromise and over deliver.

2. Lazy reviewers don't go deeper than the specs on the box and the press releases they receive.

I hope it works out. Seems to me it's likely to outsell SNES MIni on strength of distribution, regardless of quality!

I do not want a junk product out there, regardless of sales. This is not just bad sound, but bad performance. That's unacceptable. Fortunately, AtGames doesn't seem to want that either. I'm hoping they can address the issues and then some like they are trying to.

• Like 1

First off, I am definitely excited that it seems like the Atari Flashback Gold is a really solid device. I'll definitely be picking up the Activision Edition once it becomes available.

On the Genesis, I think there is a really big miss here. Honestly, AtGames seems to be a bit lazy. I get they need to hit a budget, but the fact is, the excuse of it being just a "drugstore" console no longer works with the HD edition. The price is much higher and Nintendo has elevated the playing field in that premium category. The biggest problem they are going to have is casual gamers playing the console and noticing how bad the games play. The stupid thing is, most of the issues aren't even related to cost. I mean how long have they known that the sound was terrible? The UI is horrible--it's not a very difficult fix. Based on how long it took them to shovel together an HD project (after Bill had been suggesting it for years), it looks like they are just trying to do a quick cash-in on the popularity rather then making a decent product.

As for those suggesting the Sega license would go elsewhere, I would say that's doubtful. I don't really think Sega is losing much here.

• Like 1

I do not want a junk product out there, regardless of sales. This is not just bad sound, but bad performance. That's unacceptable. Fortunately, AtGames doesn't seem to want that either. I'm hoping they can address the issues and then some like they are trying to.

Of course not, nobody wants that and I didn't mean to suggest that. I'm just saying that perhaps the lazy press will work to the company's advantage for once.

Based on how long it took them to shovel together an HD project (after Bill had been suggesting it for years), it looks like they are just trying to do a quick cash-in on the popularity rather then making a decent product.

From the outside, I can 100% see how that's the impression. The reality is something else, but yes, one part of this issue is not having sufficient resources in a few key personnel areas. There was obviously a disconnect somewhere. All this can do is make the process better, because this is not the kind of mistake to take lightly.

• Like 3

I forget where I posted the update. Pitfall II is still not on it. Maybe next year. News will be late next month (August) and pre-orders late the month after. There will be no paddles included in any of the versions (no retailers ended up being interested). It's still the version to get.

So does the last minute no paddles included thing lower its price like it should? As usually that's one extra which makes a Gold Deluxe Edition more expensive.

Edited by TrekkiELO

The fat Harry might be an artifact of the 720P upconversion. It might not be noticeable at all on a real TV, rather than a YouTube capture.

You can see Fat Harry on atgames' trailer for the machine, https://youtu.be/DJtccEW0HHI?t=33, so that would be two independently captured signals both displaying the same graphics glitch. I think it will be noticeable to many people.

You can see Fat Harry on atgames' trailer for the machine, https://youtu.be/DJtccEW0HHI?t=33, so that would be two independently captured signals both displaying the same graphics glitch. I think it will be noticeable to many people.

Fat Harry and other fixes should make their way into the final production run.

• Like 3

What's odd is that AtGames have been selling a Deluxe that includes paddles for years now.

This is exactly what I was thinking, yeah it all started five years ago with the 2012 Atari Flashback 4 for Atari's 40th Anniversary Deluxe Edition since 1972, now its the 40th Anniversary Activision Deluxe Edition for the VCS/2600 from 1977 and no paddles, makes absolutely no sense whatsoever!

Edited by TrekkiELO

From the outside, I can 100% see how that's the impression. The reality is something else, but yes, one part of this issue is not having sufficient resources in a few key personnel areas. There was obviously a disconnect somewhere. All this can do is make the process better, because this is not the kind of mistake to take lightly.

Bill,

I'm curious as to why atgames hasn't made an official statement on twitter, facebook, or any other media outlets. Are they planning to do a big PR push, turn-around initiative, when cnet gets the fixed units and gives their final review? And... Is cnet the only reviewer to receive an updated unit for review? This is just my opinion, but putting some type of bandage on the wound is better than letting it bleed out before stitches.

Edited by TokyoBatman

Bill,

I'm curious as to why atgames hasn't made an official statement on twitter, facebook, or any other media outlets. Are they planning to do a big PR push, turn-around initiative, when cnet gets the fixed units and gives their final review? And... Is cnet the only reviewer to receive an updated unit for review? This is just my opinion, but putting some type of bandage on the wound is better than letting it bleed out before stitches.

I think they want everything fixed first and then they'll deal with the PR.

We'll see about paddles. There's still time. I can only tell you the latest I was told, and that's always subject to change.

The Pac-Man mix-up (the second such mix-up related to that title) should be addressed. It's not good all these QC issues are happening, but everything should be addressed in time.

• Like 1

I believe though that in the sake of sales, it is good if as many as possible of us reach out in other channels - e.g. Facebook groups, resellers - to point out the review edition Sega HD were faulty units. I'm already seeing people posting comments on resellers' pages that the Sega Mega Drive Mini is the same crap as it always have been and avoid like the plague, based on circa 2 reviews of faulty units. To most people, the message that the final product doesn't represent what the reviewers received will be going through deaf ears, and the verdict several months ahead of the release will be this is unsellable.

I understand if AtGames themselves (as well as Sega, if they have any opinion) will want to set everything straight before going public, but us 3rd party fans can do our work to counter the nay-sayers before the actual product has been released and re-reviewed.

Edited by carlsson
  • Like 1

I believe though that in the sake of sales, it is good if as many as possible of us reach out in other channels - e.g. Facebook groups, resellers - to point out the review edition Sega HD were faulty units. I'm already seeing people posting comments on resellers' pages that the Sega Mega Drive Mini is the same crap as it always have been and avoid like the plague, based on circa 2 reviews of faulty units. To most people, the message that the final product doesn't represent what the reviewers received will be going through deaf ears, and the verdict several months ahead of the release will be this is unsellable.

I understand if AtGames themselves (as well as Sega, if they have any opinion) will want to set everything straight before going public, but us 3rd party fans can do our work to counter the nay-sayers before the actual product has been released and re-reviewed.

I agree, but ultimately putting out a great product will have the largest impact. The question is whether or not AtGames is actually going to fix all the issues and if they have time to do so.

• Like 1