IGNORED

Atari 800XL on VGA :)

OK, this is probably come up before but I'm excited and have to share this :D

I bought a $12 video to VGA converters on eBay not expecting a lot, and it arrived today, which was pretty fast shipping, but the best part is the thing actually works! I noticed some artifacts when I tried it with my 2600Jr with AV mod, but on the 800XL it looks pretty good on my 21" LCD. It's not perfect, and the menus default to Chinese when I got it.. but now I can finally have my 800XL at my desk and share the monitor with the PC I'm using right now.

post-38912-0-49279900-1498845619_thumb.jpg

post-38912-0-49365100-1498845644_thumb.jpg

post-38912-0-36316900-1498845674_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

I've been looking for something like that for a long time too, because of the sync problem I get with my old magnabox lcd TV. Finally I got another lcd TV that works better but it is so bulky. Now I am thinking in get one of those and get back to the magnabox lcd or maybe a generic monitor.

I found a cheaper one on eBay :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/222352660485

I'm hesitant on the quality of the picture and the sync issues regarding the non-standard ntsc signal of atari (800xl and 65xe).

Is it a good quality image/colors? Have you have any issues? Could you take closer pictures to your screen?

I actually had one of these and didn't know it. I just found it in a box. So, I'll have 2 when the other one arrives. Right now I'm not getting any color out of it. Maybe the newer one will work.

Did some research and it uses the ARK8119 video processor which contains an 8051 controller. I wonder if there's any way to dump the code and take control of this thing.

http://www.arkmicro.com.cn/pchange/spzh080103.shtml

• Like 2

I think I bought the same one, works great also. One issue, some of the interleave custom video modes come out like 480i with just alternated character sets every other frame. With there was a setting for blending frames. Games like Secretum Labyrinth Kings Gold look slightly distorted, and I am thinking about how I would design the next game in that series. Maybe use a different sort of dithering so it looks good does not matter which display you use.

• 1 year later...

OK, this is probably come up before but I'm excited and have to share this :D

I bought a $12 video to VGA converters on eBay not expecting a lot, and it arrived today, which was pretty fast shipping, but the best part is the thing actually works! I noticed some artifacts when I tried it with my 2600Jr with AV mod, but on the 800XL it looks pretty good on my 21" LCD. It's not perfect, and the menus default to Chinese when I got it.. but now I can finally have my 800XL at my desk and share the monitor with the PC I'm using right now.

This takes COAX RF in and produces a VGA signal out? I can thing of about a billion uses for it if it is. But yes, what about splitting the sound from RF?

Looks like this one. Despite the fact they call it an AV input, I'm pretty sure it's composite video, not RF. You would take the audio signal from the 5 pin DIN connector.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/TV-DVD-AV-Composite-RCA-S-Video-To-VGA-Monitor-PC-Video-Adapter-Converter-Switch-Box/2054303263.html

Yeah. after looking at it, I think it's only RCA in. It I have a nice RCA in to HDMI that I use for my 130XE.

Could you post a pic or a link? It's hit or miss with those things, so would be nice to know of one that's known to work with Ataris.

https://www.amazon.com/Amanka-Composite-Converter-Adapter-Charge/dp/B07D7MNBKZ/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1547972313&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=av+to+hdmi+adapter&psc=1

These work, and can be powered by any USB outlet. You also need an Atari 8bit DIN to RCA cable, which are easily obtainable on Ebay.

• Like 1

If you don't want to mod your atari, I'd highly recommend the Retrotink 2x.

It accepts composite, S-Video and component and outputs in 480P with the correct ratio and no lag to any HDMI device.

I'm using it with my 1200xl via s-video and the quality is amazing, I'll also mention the filter which you can choose not to

use but it does some amazing work with the games and the text.

Clicking the filter on, which I usually ignore, really surprised me, it invoked memories of my 1st 3dfx board eons ago.

It's pricey, but MUCH less then the competition and it's the only one that includes S-video.

Roughly $100 at www.retrotink.com.

If you're looking at investing in a good solution for a current TV or monitor, you can't go wrong with the 2x.

(no I don't work for them, but I really like their product)

I just bought two of those at a tech surplus sale at the college I go to currently. Currently I use one of them for my Apple IIGS and it works like a charm! I don't have a composite cable though for my Atari 800XL. I do have one for my Commodore Vic 20 would that work?

Edited by Squirrelzilla

• 2 years later...

Help!

I am connecting an Atari 800 to one of those imported video to VGA converter boxes to an LG LCD flat panel VGA display. I have tried using the composite input and the s-video input to the converter box and in both cases I appear to only be getting the luminance signal and no chroma. When I try the converter box with a VCR the LG monitor shows color, just not with the Atari 800. Has anybody else had this problem? 

Follow up to my last post:

I just tried connecting the Atari 800 to the composite input of an older Samsung Smart TV and it worked. It appears the problem is the analog to VGA converter box. Looking at a more expensive model on Amazon and someone gave it a bad review because it only displays black and white with their Atari 800. Has anyone found a converter that works with the Atari 800?

803E06D5-B564-4DF7-A4CF-C5D6252F9F3A.jpeg

14 hours ago, codesurfer.dev said:

I just went to Goodwill and picked up a $20 LG TV that has HDMI, VGA, S-Video, Composite, RGB, and antenna inputs. I spliced my own DIN to S-Video cable and it looks perfect.

That's a pretty, clear picture. Only very slight jail bars. Excellent find!