IGNORED

The Official Nintendo 64 Thread!

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

That game is such a perfect marriage of two design styles it can't be missed, even if you're like MEH on the beetle, get over it and try.  NFS meets Midway racer goofiness designs(think Cruis'n USA series)  All the tight control, modeling, designs of a NFS game, but then the ape shit weird stage layouts/areas, turbo boosts, and added point boxes you get from the nutty arcade land of 90s Midway racing.  So under appreciated and forgotten but that's good, you can bag it for $10 easily and not $50. :D

• Like 1

Nice share, that is a well spoken and covered video of BAR for N64, it really grasps the fun and the confusion why it exists as much as why it works almost too well.  He and I are on the same mind of Cruis'n but I never get the lie about the price, it never was $70, at least not my space in California and that is a stupid expensive area to exploit then and now.  I remember dropping $50 on it, keep in mind, 1996-97 I was earlier into college, so this was still on a budget around class.  I played the crap out of it, and yeah the hit detection wasn't perfect, but all the other shit people panned it for was a mountain of half truths and utter lies probably since it wasn't ridge racer, in that era, NOTHING was ridge racer.  Wipeout had its corner since F-Zero faded earlier on the SNES on both ends(release and player's choice) but once FZX came out on 64 screw that mess wipeout was topped.  I never got into extreme G, it was in the house, brother was all over it, but RUSH I did get those second hand and they're mighty fine too, Midway did pretty solid work on N64.

• Thanks 1

Since this thread's getting some recent love, anybody got any recommended hacks (or homebrew) that run on real hardware?

I notice a lot of the big hacks are built for emulators, to increase textures, etc.

Since I'm mainly a racing fan on N64, I do have F-Zero X Climax (link), which is pretty darn nice, but I it's ~10 years old, and I haven't followed n64 developments too much since.  I even picked up a cart of climax from aliexpress which is pretty spiffy to have.

I've been hearing rumblings of a hack to improve the FPS of mario 64, but when I heard about it a year or so ago, it hadn't been released yet. Sounds worth a try, even if it's not my favorite game.

Edited by Reaperman

I don't do hacks, always disappoint, but translations yes.  There are some amazing patches for the Japanese games we did not get, which oddly wasn't that many as they had a smaller library shockingly than the US got?!

I'd look to stuff like Wonder Project J2, (like or hate whiny ass bitch Shinji) Neon Genesis Evangelion, Legion UX, Animal Forest, and a few others and you have some bright shining polished stuff to really dig some hours into.

It's funny all this random recall the last few days, I haven't got anything N64 in a long stretch, and we get into Beetle Adventure Racing.  Yesterday a friend I do a lot of helping out with locally here kicked me a huge deal on a stack of N64 stuff/related stuff.  A good many Nintendo Powers, one which is for BEETLE with a huge developer breakdown and review/coverage, but also 6 games returned to my fold too I had ages ago.  I am quite happy with how that all turned out.  I love that classic reading, other than #52 I've had 1-76 of NP with a dozen maybe over that, but adding this new stash was a real moment (paid $79 if curious.)  I pasted it here because people ignore the finds thread so why bother.

Times like this I love getting the more spread out random deal, especially when it's on a centralized period of time like this.  Those games are solid, and my ultahdmi modded original console runs them great.  A couple of the mags were pretty bad off, mitigated one, and repaired/covered up the other (wwf) quite tactfully. ;)

11-27-np64era.thumb.JPG.3688515e4acf174b46d7ba8da151deb6.JPG

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Is it a hack, or the weird ass release that the aussies got with HSV cars in it?

Those NPs surprised me how intact they were, posters, 2 supplies catalogs, a full star wars e1 poster, pokemon snap sticker album, 4 (of 6) issues of pokemon power inside all still attached.

I JUST took the episode I racer poster down the other day.. I kinda ripped some of cuz of the tape I used.

IMG_20221128_211526947.jpg

• Thanks 1

Another loss that would have been nice, strange too, given that the US market was for once the one with the most titles and support.

Planned to be localized, announced, semi-dated, then utterly scrapped.  Last Legion UX looks like a real gem, has a translation patch these days too.  I've been considering importing this one.

• Like 2

Dude seriously, we're like banging out the good shit Japan got, which wasn't much, since the US had a lot more releases.  I keep forgetting to import that gem, along with UX, and I want to buy a bootleg english of J2 too.  yeah I know I can everdrive it, but I *hate* doing games with saves on shitty SD card kits, personal quirk I guess.

Dezaemon is fantastic, a great blend of a few mini but full shooters with unique style, then you can make your own.  It's a solid franchise of sorts that never left Japan stupidly enough despite years of fans and other shit like RPG maker coming here.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...