IGNORED

Will the NES console play Famicom titles, same powerpad

Swami

Glad to see you've got the AV Famicom; I love it. If you're handy with a soldering iron, I recommend this simple mod to allow NES accessories such as the Zapper to work on it:

http://famicomworld.com/workshop/tech/nes-zapper-on-av-famicom/

NES accessories that plug into player 2 port will only work on Famicom games if the Famicom equivalent is wired to the same logical inputs, and visa-versa for Famicom accessories working with NES games.

I also highly recommend you save up for that Everdrive. It is worth it. If you buy one, I recommend ordering straight from Krikzz or Stone Age Gamer. :)

http://krikzz.com/store/home/32-everdrive-n8-famicom.html

http://www.stoneagegamer.com/everdrive-n8-basic-fc.html

Wow! Famicom has already traveled from Japan to New York! Might get it by Monday if it doesn't spend a week in customs.

• Like 1

I have attached a spreadsheet giving the pin connections needed to make what I consider to be the ideal Famicom Expansion Port to NES Controller Adapter. This adapter allows you to make a cable with a Famicom Expansion Port connector on one end and two NES Controller Ports on the other end.

• You can use a Gamepad in NES Controller Port 1 for Player 3 and a Gamepad in NES Controller Port 2 for Player 4 in Famicom games that support 4 players (but not NES games)
  • You can use a Gamepad in NES Controller Port 1 for Player 1 and Gamepad in NES Controller Port 2 for Player 2 in many (but not all) Famicom games and some NES games.
  • You can use a Zapper Light Gun in Controller Port 2 for any NES or Famicom light gun game.
  • You can use a NES Power Pad in Controller Port 2 for any NES Power Pad game.
  • You can use a NES Arkanoid Vaus Paddle in Controller Port 2 for NES Arkanoid. If you apply a patch to the ROM, you can also use the NES Paddle for Famicom Arkanoid 2 and Chase HQ.

With my conceptual adapter, you cannot use a gamepad and a zapper or other controller port 2 device at the same time, you must use remove one and insert the other, just like on a real NES. This eliminates the potential for bus conflicts between different controllers.

Famicom Expansion to NES Controller Adapter Pin Connections.zip

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

I also highly recommend you save up for that Everdrive. It is worth it. If you buy one, I recommend ordering straight from Krikzz or Stone Age Gamer. :)

http://krikzz.com/store/home/32-everdrive-n8-famicom.html

http://www.stoneagegamer.com/everdrive-n8-basic-fc.html

So I got one of these, but it appears it only uses microSD cards and not normal SD cards unless I am missing something. Its hard to tell if its a microSD port or a microUSB port. I don't have a microSD card at the present but can get one if this is what it uses. No instructions with it, but came in a nice box.

I have attached a spreadsheet giving the pin connections needed to make what I consider to be the ideal Famicom Expansion Port to NES Controller Adapter. This adapter allows you to make a cable with a Famicom Expansion Port connector on one end and two NES Controller Ports on the other end.

• You can use a Gamepad in NES Controller Port 1 for Player 3 and a Gamepad in NES Controller Port 2 for Player 4 in Famicom games that support 4 players (but not NES games)
  • You can use a Gamepad in NES Controller Port 1 for Player 1 and Gamepad in NES Controller Port 2 for Player 2 in many (but not all) Famicom games and some NES games.
  • You can use a Zapper Light Gun in Controller Port 2 for any NES or Famicom light gun game.
  • You can use a NES Power Pad in Controller Port 2 for any NES Power Pad game.
  • You can use a NES Arkanoid Vaus Paddle in Controller Port 2 for NES Arkanoid. If you apply a patch to the ROM, you can also use the NES Paddle for Famicom Arkanoid 2 and Chase HQ.

With my conceptual adapter, you cannot use a gamepad and a zapper or other controller port 2 device at the same time, you must use remove one and insert the other, just like on a real NES. This eliminates the potential for bus conflicts between different controllers.

You could also skip ROM hacks and play FC Arkanoid II with a real NES Arkanoid controller by making a one-off adapter or directly into port 2 of an AVS with appropriate menu setting on the AVS menu.

So I got one of these, but it appears it only uses microSD cards and not normal SD cards unless I am missing something. Its hard to tell if its a microSD port or a microUSB port. I don't have a microSD card at the present but can get one if this is what it uses. No instructions with it, but came in a nice box.

The micros are typically the same price of the bigger ones at the store and many come with an adapter already included. A measely 4Gb card will hold every NES ROM in the No Intro archive.

The micros are typically the same price of the bigger ones at the store and many come with an adapter already included. A measely 4Gb card will hold every NES ROM in the No Intro archive.

It would be nice if the websites and reviews had specified microSD rather than just saying "SD", or am I that far behind the times. The other multicarts I own, all Harmony and Atarimax, have the regular SD slots. Oh, well, no biggy, currently now have a pair of unneeded regular SD cards and can pick up a microSD at Target tomorrow.

Apparently, SD are getting slowy pushed out.

I know a guy that make kits for reading SD cards on a vintage computer. He use a standard, ready-made SD chip reader to cut costs. As he mention, the Micro-SD and SD chips are the same, except that the standard SD reader is 6 time the price of the Micro-SD one.

sku_316412_1.jpg

Edited by CatPix

I honestly prefer the larger SD cards themselves. My stubby man fingers have difficulty picking up the fingernail sized micros... :P

Yes, too small for humans. I remember a post where someone dropped the microSD card into their Harmony Cart and couldn't get it back out again. :woozy:

• Like 1