IGNORED

Bitmap Bros criticize Lynx in old piece on debut of gameboy in uk

sirlynxalot

Saw this over at Assemblergames, its a feature on the debut of the Gameboy in the UK. While Bullfrog indicates the gameboy is a good concept but could have been executed better, the Bitmap Bros. indicate that the gameboy's early games are very playable and the Lynx is no competition. That struck me as a little odd, while the gameboy has some great games and ultimately wound up with a huge software library compared to lynx, I don't see how anyone could so heavily discount the lynx when each system was in its early days. Lynx certainly had its own flashy and playable games at this point, and obviously because I am on a lynx forum in 2017, I think the lynx's capabilities were/are pretty excellent and on a technical level, much more impressive than original gameboy.

nGdjzLb.jpg

Source

https://assemblergames.com/threads/inside-atari-games-feature.66318/

Edited by sirlynxalot

Saw this over at Assemblergames, its a feature on the debut of the Gameboy in the UK. While Bullfrog indicates the gameboy is a good concept but could have been executed better, the Bitmap Bros. indicate that the gameboy's early games are very playable and the Lynx is no competition. That struck me as a little odd, while the gameboy has some great games and ultimately wound up with a huge software library compared to lynx, I don't see how anyone could so heavily discount the lynx when each system was in its early days. Lynx certainly had its own flashy and playable games at this point, and obviously because I am on a lynx forum in 2017, I think the lynx's capabilities were/are pretty excellent and on a technical level, much more impressive than original gameboy.

nGdjzLb.jpg

Source

Whoever wrote that article is truely insane, or biased.

Maybe the writer was an employee of, or investor with Nintendo.

LoL.

The Lynx was way more advanced than the Gameboy by leaps and bounds on there releases.

Whoever wrote that article is truely insane, or biased.

Maybe the writer was an employee of, or investor with Nintendo.

LoL.

The Lynx was way more advanced than the Gameboy by leaps and bounds on there releases.

And yet the Gameboy creamed the the Lynx it's first year in sales and never looked back.

:-)) That's another of the scans i put up..it's from The One Magazine and it just had various UK coders etc giving their personal viewpoints.

The GB came in for critiscm in same article, so it's hardly biased.

Bullfrog thinking it didn't have much of a future.

Plus, you have to bear in mind, these are UK developers, people had gotten very wary of Atari and new hardware by time Lynx hit.

We had been promised the 5200, then this was annouced as canned, 7800 annouced and then held back.

CDST never amounted to anything.

Rumoured ST console..or ST+ as it was known over here, this is pre-panther, was supposed to be for US market only.

Publishers simply had so little faith in Atari to make good on promises.

Edited by Lost Dragon

nGdjzLb.jpg

Source

What you have to realize is both Bullfrog and Bitmap Bros most likely said a lot more to the writer, but the writer cherry picked select quotes from them to match what he was attempting to write. We don't know what those quotes look like in context or what else they said.

• Like 1

UK Press has a history of selective quoting or simply making things up about what coders or artists said.

I used supposed quotes from them when i was interviewing (use the term loosely) and a lot of times they would laugh and say who on earth told you that?..where on earth did you hear that claim from?

The One was a very good, but not infallible magazine, it claimed with certainly Thalion were handling the Atari ST version of Nebulus II (US folk might know Nebulus as Tower Toppler)...looks to of been utterly false information..

I honestly didn't expect the throw away article to be dissected quite ad much when i put it up..but if it's generating discussion, it was worth the time sharing it.

The funniest part is about the Gameboy 2000, some things pretty accurate, some things miles off :)

Those Sensible Software guys were spot-on about the Gameboy: it's like a ZX-81 with buttons on.... sadly the second answer they gave turned out to be not so true.

Yet another proof of better technology not being important.

There are SO many examples of that....

• Like 1