IGNORED

5200 was a waste of solder and plastic

ElectricTroy

I finally saw one in action last month. I'm glad I didn't waste my money 20 years ago. The games did not look much better than 2600 games (some looked worse!!! - Space Invaders).

The joysticks were trash (according to this site, they broke a lot) and ruined many games like Pac-Man since they weren't self-centering. Pac-Man's not any fun if you can't properly play it!!!

Didn't have backwards-compatibility with the 2600's 1000-game library (boo!).

The technology was already 4 years old.

Atari should have skipped the 5200 and released the 7800 instead in 1983. Having owned a 7800, it was a far superior system.

Th 5200 was a much better machine than the 7800. From a playability standpoint most 5200 games are much better. If you think the graphics are the same as/worse than the 2600, then I'm guessing you are very young or haven't actually played anything on the 5200.

There are plenty of good games for it, and the thing reeks of the golden era of gaming (1982-ish). The controllers aren't good, granted, but there are ways around them. Get a third party controller. The 7800 was a good system, but was never used to it's full advantage, and consequently looked and sounded poor compared to the NES. The 5200 at least provided some challenge to the ColecoVision, and it left the Intellivision in the dust.

I didn't like the 5200 at first, either, but it quickly turned into a favorite of mine I wouldn't think of getting rid of. Give it another chance.

I agree with ElectricTroy, 7800 Karateka and Impossible Mission are much better games than 5200 Space Dungeon and Gremlins :)

Actually lately (being serious now), I've started to think that Atari should have skipped the 7800 and 5200 and released the XEGS earlier. Then after that, released a 16-bit game system based on their computer line. If the consoles and computers always used the same cartridges, then they could have spent all the money saved to make better quality games.

Some people say the problem with this is that the XEGS was not backward compatible, but at least the controllers were (joystick, paddles, track-ball).

Then I guess you've never seen the 5200 VCS adapter.

It seems from your comments that you don't actually own a 5200. You may wish to actually purchase a 5200 before embarking on a critical evaluation of the system instead of basing it purely on hearsay (wonky joysticks and all). :)

I agree with ElectricTroy, 7800 Karateka and Impossible Mission are much better games than 5200 Space Dungeon and Gremlins :)

Actually lately (being serious now), I've started to think that Atari should have skipped the 7800 and 5200 and released the XEGS earlier.

They did release the XEGS earlier. It's called the 5200. It's the same computer except for the joysticks. Yes you can't upgrade it to use as a computer as opposed to a video game system, but it's still the same thing for all intents and purposes. In fact, many of the same games that were originally written for the computers were rewritten for the 5200 much better. That's partly why 'Glenn the 5200 man' translated a number of them back to the 8-bit's.

Allan

They did release the XEGS earlier. It's called the 5200. It's the same computer except for the joysticks

Yes, I know, but my point was Atari could have focused on making the best computer carts they could and have them also plug straight into a console system. The time and money they spent converting games for different controllers, memory map, cartridge shells, marketing, and paper trail could have been spent on making better games. I'm in the semiconductor industry and spin-off products can be a real pain even if marketing loves them.

I've got to say while I'm Atari thru & thru, I've never been that much of a 5200 fan. Reasons:

A) the controllers were always a big issue for me (non-centering and very prone to breakage and wear out)

B) while the system was good looking (probably the BEST looking console system so far IMO) it was just so big and bulky and took up a lot of space

C) most of the games that were available for it I was already playing on my 800XL.

D) I never saw anything released for the 5200 that made me say "Yes, I have to have this" (now maybe if Koffi or Haunted House 3D or Adventure II had been available :) )

I'm not saying it was a bad system, just that it wasn't the system for me.

I agree with Jsoper.... maybe if they would have focused on making the 600XL a cartridge based gaming system and making the best games they could for it, they might have been a bigger force in the console war's then they were with the 5200 and 7800. It had to be a big drain, both financially & from a development standpoint, to bring out the 5200 & 7800 with the limited amount of resources that Atari had at that time. But I could be wrong.

In fact, thinking about the 600XL as a gaming system, it might have been a proto for todays systems. Consider: most systems today use a keyboard (the 600XL had one), most have modems/BB support (the 600XL could have used the SX212), they had plenty of good games since most 3rd parties were supporting the 800/800XL already, it was a compact system with plenty of accessories available for it..... maybe it would have been a force... or maybe I'm just dreaming.

Very, very nice topic here with some good and well thought out posts. Nice job, everyone.

Mendon

I

finally saw one in action last month.  I'm glad I didn't waste my money 20 years ago.  The games did not look much better than 2600 games (some looked worse!!! - Space Invaders).

The joysticks were trash (according to this site, they broke a lot) and ruined many games like Pac-Man since they weren't self-centering.  Pac-Man's not any fun if you can't properly play it!!!

The technology was already 4 years old.

You sure picked a good place to get shot down!

The 5200 has a better game libary than the 7800. It plays better as well. What would you rather have? A console from the Warner era of Atari? Or a console from the Tramiel era? I'd pick the pre-Tramiel console!

The 5200 wins!

You weren't there when it hit, ElectricTroy. Back then, I for one was getting tired of the 2600's weak arcade ports, filled with cut-backs and flickering single-color sprites. When I saw and played 5200 Q*bert, Joust, Defender, and Pac-Man, I was sold by this AMAZING machine!! And these games all have aged quite well (Defender has aged the worst, I'd imagine, due to it's choppiness) to this day. Back then, Q*bert, Pac-Man, Defender, and Joust were still big names and you couldn't play them anywhere but on 2600 or 5200 -- and 5200 was far better. And there were other games too, like Space Dungeon, Pole Position (may not seem like much now, but back then it seemed incredible), Vanguard, Jungle Hunt, Ms. Pac-Man, Countermeasure, and others.

I will say though -- I wish Atari had made the 5200 compatible with the 2600 sticks.

*sighs* Just when I start to like you Troy..

5200 Pitfall II is better than 2600

5200 Pac-Man is better than 2600

5200 H.E.R.O. (this one shocked me the most) is better than 2600

5200 Miner 2049er is WAY better than 2600

You can make that argument 49 times out of 50. And not only do the games look better, sound better, and (if you have a Comp Pro or a Wico) PLAY better, but the 5200 has some kick-ass unique titles like Zone Ranger and hella tight homebrews like Koffi and Combat II Advanced. But sure, if you think it's a waste of plastic and solder, that's your loss.

Dude you DEFINETLY didnt give it a proper try...Space Invaders???? How much more did you want them to do with Space Invaders? The graphics are far superior to the 2600. To say they aren't....I'd be betting you were one of those Colecovision dweebs back then.

And theres nothing bad about the non centering joysticks IMHO. It may take a little more practice if you're not very good at playing video games is all. Truthfully though the fire buttons suck ass, they do constantly break. Then again, I've always hated the 2600's joysticks. Way too stiff and difficult until they're broken in.

You should actually try a gew games before you judge....

Space Invaders?????? Sheeesh!!!! :roll:

Whoa !

Harsh words about the 5200 IMO. :sad:

It's ok tho'-

He hasn't changed my mind ! :P

I'll still enjoy my 5200's and will continue to do all I can to make it a better system.

I think the rest of you 5200 fans will too. :D

E-Troy, you are missing out on a great system !

Try not to be so short sighted ! :ponder:

Later dudes

I am one of the biggest critics of the 5200 stick fragility (yes, they DID break), but I can't understand those who say that the non-centering sticks make 5200 Pacman unplayable... that's the biggest myth and pretty much b.s. (Ever notice that people who say that always just hear/read about it? Or judge it by some 5 minutes with the game?) :roll: The fact is, unless you're some totally incompetent videogame player, Pacman is VERY playable with the 5200 stick. I sure as heck didn't have a problem. Neither did my brother or anyone else I know. Heck even today when faced with pad control (via the DC emu) over an actual 5200 joystick, the game is far more enjoyable with the 5200 stick. I still have no problems and can control the game like a champ, 5200 stick in hand. :D

You're harpin on my favorite Atari systems there.... you obviously weren't around when it came out but it's a mistake to judge a system with hindsight standards! By the way, with an adapter, the 5200 did have backwards compatibility w/ 2600 games. If you had one you might have seen it in the catalog included ;)

Fact: the subject title of this post displays ignorance of the 5200 system, the games for it and a lack of awareness of the circumstances when it came out. It is a great system, and most who have enough experience with it and were able to judge it on its merits against comparable systems of its era will agree. It is fine to express strong views about a subject, but you could try to develop an INFORMED opinion.

On the sticks, reliability aside I think they are very good and in many respects advanced. They had pause, start and reset, a keypad, and analog design which was superior for certain games. In fact, I played it with friends for years and it never occurred to us that there was anything wrong with them (and we played A LOT of Pac-Man). Later I see it has become 'common wisdom' to criticize the sticks.

The 5200 was well worth the solder and plastic, and is an integral part of gaming history. As for the thought that went into this topic, well thats self-evident... :P

For my 1st post here, I would like to say that I to, had no problem playing pac man or any other game with the 5200 controllers, neither did my gamer friends, the key was to preset in advance the next direction, it actually made for very smooth movements, as you could would move the stick a fraction ahead of pac man, when I returned to arcade pac man, i actually found the movements disjointed, and the constant pressure required annoying. DOn't get me wrong, the 5200 sticks were certainly not ideal for this type of game when in an emergency situation, but adjusting was quite easy overall.

In addition, I bought a 5200 over a Colecovision and never regretted it, the choice was clear for the those who were well informed. Which is why after a slow start, it began to gain the lead over the Coleco.

Of course the 7800 graphics are better, but not that much better. Certainly the 5200 was a much greater leap over the 2600 than the difference between 58 and 72.

But it seems so funny that somebody would comment in retrospect, that the 7800 had better graphics... DUH...

I don't think its so much that you are incompetent at gaming or suck at gaming.. IMO its that you might be much more accustomed to a particular style.

For example, I think I'm pretty good at Miner 2049er; I hauled out the ol XL a few weeks ago and beat both Miner and Jumpman Jr. without much prob at all. I then tried Miner on the 5200 for almost 90min and never got past Lvl 7 as I'd run out of lives from the constant falling because I couldn't get used to the control using the non-centering 5200 controller. I even had some prob's trying to line myself up with the elevators.

Again, I'm not saying the 5200 is a bad system.. just not my system of choice. And its not because I suck at gaming; I'm just much more comfortable with a centering controller as its what I've used the most during my gaming lifetime.

Mendon

My 5200 is starting to grow on me now that I've done some repair (this system was pretty seriously abused). I really like Missile Command and RealSports Basebal a LOT on this system but I still really suck at Miner 2049'er. :)

Voch

Atari should have skipped the 5200 and released the 7800 instead in 1983.  Having owned a 7800, it was a far superior system.

Funny. If any Atari system is to be dubbed a waste of plastic, I would pick the 7800. Back when the 7800 was released I was playing Super Mario Bros., Zelda, and Metroid (as were most of my friends). The 5200 was offering great ports of games that were popular at the time. The 7800 wasn't.

I'm chiming in again to say I've never had a problem playing Pac-man with the stock 5200 sticks. Datacipher's first paragraph in his post sums up my thoughts perfectly (I also had trouble "going back" to coin-op Pac-Man control after getting used to 5200 Pac).

Miner 2049er has outstanding control even with the default 5200 sticks -- but probably better control on the 8bits using a digital stick.

Archived