IGNORED

Jaguar games lack of music

Tidus79001

So the basis of Tidus' argument comes down to "well I don't believe it".

That heretic video started doing the rounds again recently after certain people began posting it on YouTube vids to support their illusions. Most recent I saw was in a comparison between Jaguar and Saturn,which was even more suspect in that they clipped out the project tempest marker, and compared it to hexen.

• Like 7

I also don't miss the music in Doom for similar reasons. It feels more atmospheric. Don't get me wrong, the Doom music is awesome.

I remember back when it originally came out on the Jag, I read somewhere that it was missing the music so I created my own mix tape :D

Wish I still had that.

• Like 2

Good god...and people wonder why the old timers get cranky. This has been discussed multiple times. The game came out in 1994. It's now 2017. Music isn't in the game. Get over it. Walls of text about why you think it could've been done aren't going to change a thing.

• Like 7

The Alien movies have great atmospheric music in the background! Several albums and compilations have been released throughout the years of James Horner, Jerry Goldsmith's, etc. scores. And, something I just remembered... the music is so good (eerie and spooky, especially great this time of year), that the soundtracks are available on the Blu-ray versions of the movies as isolated scores. In other words and besides the Director's Cuts, you get the movie AND the soundtrack on the same disc. Wish more movies and studios gave you that kind of value. :love:

So there you go, can listen to the official Alien soundtracks while playing AvP if you want. ha

The Alien movies have great atmospheric music in the background! Several albums and compilations have been released throughout the years of James Horner, Jerry Goldsmith's, etc. scores. And, something I just remembered... the music is so good (eerie and spooky, especially great this time of year), that the soundtracks are available on the Blu-ray versions of the movies as isolated scores. In other words and besides the Director's Cuts, you get the movie AND the soundtrack on the same disc. Wish more movies and studios gave you that kind of value. :love:

So there you go, can listen to the official Alien soundtracks while playing AvP if you want. ha

You're right; I'm listening to it right now. Curse my memory! (And bless YouTube.)

So the basis of Tidus' argument comes down to "well I don't believe it".

My argument comes down to the reasons I stated prior the video that linked to at the end on my last reply and was just hinged on that video (technical details were included from the source I credited). Also as quoted in my last reply allegedly according to other AtariAge members they stated that John Carmack himself in an interview said that the Doom code on the Jaguar could have been much better and improved overall performance of the game. The Jaguar never got the benefit of having multiple generations of games which would have been very helpful the generation of that games after the first because on any console each generation of games tends to get better and the programmers become more familiar with the hardware and learn new tricks with it. I am not blaming id for the decisions that they had to make as there was not way that they could financially justify a major rework of the code for the Jagur version of the game (at the end of the day it has to be profitable for the to publish the game). Iron Solider and Battlesphere are both 3D games on the Jaguar that pulled off complex 3D math calculations while still having in game music, so yes I don't believe it not possible for the Jaguar to have 3D games with in game music running at the same time because these games prove that it is possible.

AvP is definitely one game where I don't miss music. It's more eerie just having background sound effects.

Sad really as the Jaguar is a very capable system and this always made the games seem incomplete. I can see 2600 games might not have in game music due to it's limitations but any system past the 2600 should have included in game music where appropriate to the game of course. That Atari considered this acceptable was absurd as it isn't as if they were oblivious that in game music with every system since the NES was the new norm.

As I said very early in this thread music should be included in games where appropriate. AVP was appropriate not having music as the ambient sounds of being on a deserted base and really did draw you into the game.

No, this can be done if you used a looped sample streaming from ROM, and then run your demonstration in an emulator at >2x the speed of the hardware and lie to everyone about how great it is.

I am not going to give Heretic a free pass if that is how the programmer pulled it off as this isn't a technique that you could use on actual Jaguar hardware. I do not have an inflated ego and have no issue saying prior to my stating that Heretic was proof of concept of the of feat in game music during gameplay that I wasn't aware that this was done in emulation at twice the speed of the Jaguar, nor was I aware that the music was looped from the ROM. That now being said that Heretic was a flawed example om my part, and I now will refer as examples to Iron Solider and Battlesphere which are both 3D cartridge games running on actual Jaguar hardware that do have in game music during gameplay.

Good god...and people wonder why the old timers get cranky. This has been discussed multiple times. The game came out in 1994. It's now 2017. Music isn't in the game. Get over it.

I am not cranky about it. All I did was ask the reason that Doom didn't include music in the game. I am not bemoaning the fact that the game doesn't have in game music. If "old timers" as you said are getting cranky over this then that is on them as it was never my intention to provoke anyone.

Walls of text about why you think it could've been done aren't going to change a thing.

That wall of text was the "leg work" that I did as Austin suggested that I should do just that on the topic of Doom and its lack on in game music during game play. Not trying to change anything. All I wanted was a better understanding of the limitations that are always mentioned as to why there was no music during gameplay in Doom on the Jaguar. Also I am not suggesting that anyone go back and try to fix the game or redo the game as I do not tell people who are taking their own free time where their efforts should be (I appreciate the hard work and efforts of anyone who has contributed to continuing development for these old systems). We are lucky just having gotten the Doom game as we did as Atari Jaguar development kits were crap and developer support was not existent due the dire straits that Atari was in during those final days. Edited by Tidus79001