IGNORED

Pink Panther

retroeight

You know what? I had a great idea. Why not set up a site where you could play the rom say for a dollar a time on a reputable web site such as Atarimania or Tempest's site but you could only play it, not download it and then the owner gets a viable income, all the curious players get to see what the fuss is about but the rom stays out of circulation. To me that makes perfect sense. Lets see what everyone else thinks?

Look, there are 3 or 4 of these in collectors hands, track down one of them, pay thousands for it and do whatever you like with it. End of story.

Again using that age old argument. You dont need to spend thousands. In fact the opposite for the owner gets all the money for people would pay the site to play the game which never leaves the site and would not be able to be downloaded. I dont understand why you get all upset about this for I was not asking you to do anything, just floating an idea.

I like the idea, but I doubt as an owner of a prototype I would be really interested into doing that.

IMO this might only work if someone else would do all the work required. So that it is just minimal effort for the owner and he also can be 100% sure that the ROM cannot be grabbed somehow this way. IMO the latter is the most critical point and I cannot see how this can be assured.

I like the idea, but I doubt as an owner of a prototype I would be really interested into doing that.

IMO this might only work if someone else would do all the work required. So that it is just minimal effort for the owner and he also can be 100% sure that the ROM cannot be grabbed somehow this way. IMO the latter is the most critical point and I cannot see how this can be assured.

Totally agree with you Thomas. Paranoia over the rom becomming public is the hardest point of contention. Another point would be the possibility that once people play any hoarded prototype and realise how bad it was or how little enjoyment came from playing it then the desire to pay massive $$$$ to own it would swiftly evaporate thus devaluing it. Either way it is a real shame for it would stop a lot of people harrassing those who own the games to release them.

Edited by Foxsolo2000

Why, because you demand someone else will?

Why are you always so angry? Have you even read my posts??? I think not. I never used the word demand nor have I used any terms saying that this must happen? I notice you always react this way to something you dont like and often wondered why? Also let me state this, I have no desire to play this game for reasons of my own. I was merely saying aloud a possible, viable idea open to discussion. I am sorry you took exception to it.

Totally agree with you Thomas. Paranoia over the rom becomming public is the hardest point of contention. Another point would be the possibility that once people play any hoarded prototype and realise how bad it was or how little enjoyment came from playing it then the desire to pay massive $$$$ to own it would swiftly evaporate thus devaluing it.

I don't believe in these reasons. Except for being afraid that the ROM (whatever quality it has, AFAIK collectors usually don't care much) becomes public. I am no collector, but I understand that some believe (or know) that a ROM release will devalue their prototype.

IMO you can't blame them for protecting their property.

• Like 1

I don't believe in these reasons. Except for being afraid that the ROM (whatever quality it has, AFAIK collectors usually don't care much) becomes public. I am no collector, but I understand that some believe (or know) that a ROM release will devalue their prototype.

IMO you can't blame them for protecting their property.

Again I defer to you for you argument has merit. When I 1st became aware of the so called Holy Grail prototypes I will be the 1st to admit that I was more than a little annoyed at those that hoarded them but 20 years on my perception and understanding has changed considerably and I agree with you that some will want to protect their property at all costs, fair enough. Guess I am just lucky that I have either managed to play a lot of these games or at the very least have read reviews, seen pics or in the case of Hard Head watched full motion videos. But as I said a lot of these untouchables are not a great deal of fun to play but until someone plays them the majority of people will never understand that.

Honestly, I hadn't even heard of this game until this thread. If the rom were availible, I'd probably play it, but if that never happens, I'm OK with it. I figure if there are a few copies floating around out there, eventually, the rom will probably show up. It may be 20 years from now, so I may never get to play it, but that's fine. :)

For those who've played it: does it get harder each time you finish the game? Is it challenging? Thanks! :)

Yes it does. The first two screens get faster and faster and the timer gets shorter. The first screen is almost unplayable on the highest difficulty because the timer is so short and Clouseau likes to drop bricks over the water where you can't get them. The final screen adds some new stuff each time like the water going up and down, the platforms going faster, and someone cutting the rope if you're on it too long. Normal stuff like that.

http://www.atariprotos.com/2600/software/pinkpanther/pinkpanther.htm

• Like 1

Why are you always so angry? Have you even read my posts??? I think not. I never used the word demand nor have I used any terms saying that this must happen? I notice you always react this way to something you dont like and often wondered why? Also let me state this, I have no desire to play this game for reasons of my own. I was merely saying aloud a possible, viable idea open to discussion. I am sorry you took exception to it.

I try not to read your posts, so I was not talking to you.

The previous thread on this game (see link above in the top post) also turned heated as well. I'm not quite sure why this particular Proto insights so much more controversy then most others, but that does indeed seem to be the case.

But I do want to stress one point here that is a matter of fact. The rom for this game was indeed "released". Yes, it does utilize unique architecture. And yes, it was a very small run of carts that were made available. But, it was "obtainable" & "purchaseable" in the past.

Therefore, there is nobody to "protect" here (investment wise) or (copyright wise) or any other auxiliary dynamic which creates complications with this game. Only the "necessary tinkering of an educated and/or technically proficient individual" is what is required at this stage. That is the ONLY limiting factor at this point in time. With that, the rom could be extrapolated from the Melody board & then modified/reworked to function with harmony and/or more "mainstream" bankswitch architecture to allow for a more traditional & larger controlled community release and/or public rom dump.

The previous thread on this game (see link above in the top post) also turned heated as well. I'm not quite sure why this particular Proto insights so much more controversy then most others, but that does indeed seem to be the case.

But I do want to stress one point here that is a matter of fact. The rom for this game was indeed "released". Yes, it does utilize unique architecture. And yes, it was a very small run of carts that were made available. But, it was "obtainable" & "purchaseable" in the past.

Therefore, there is nobody to "protect" here (investment wise) or (copyright wise) or any other auxiliary dynamic which creates complications with this game. Only the "necessary tinkering of an educated and/or technically proficient individual" is what is required at this stage. That is the ONLY limiting factor at this point in time. With that, the rom could be extrapolated from the Melody board & then modified/reworked to function with harmony and/or more "mainstream" bankswitch architecture to allow for a more traditional & larger controlled community release and/or public rom dump.

Remind me again, why one of the biggest NEO GEO proto hoarders is always replying to this kind of topic.

When Probe2000 said they cancelled games due to a shortage of chips, they were not talking about a shortage of chips in general; just these special ones?

That always confused me as other game providers never mentioned chip shortages.

Actually, the rumor was that they had a large run of the chips manufactured but when they arrived they were defective. The market was collapsing so rather than pour more money into the pit they just cancelled the game.

Back on topic....

Did Probe2000 plan any other 2600 games on that chipset?

Tarzan by Coleco, as mentioned earlier, which like the Pink Panther was developed by James Wickstead Design Associates. I believe JWDA developed the RAM/ROM chip that these games were to utilize, not NAP.

• Like 1