IGNORED

Kangaroo

Jinks

So making my post useful I put a link to thread with a kangaroo rom that allows two buttons with a genesis controller: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/158430-rom-hacks-to-support-2-buttons-with-genesis-controllers/?hl=%2Bkangaroo+%2Bhack+%2Bbutton

I actually mapped my controls on my MAME rom of the arcade game so that jump (and by default UP) are on a button, and the game plays much better, IMHO

Just remember to push the jump button to go up ladders.

I remember seeing Kangaroo in the arcades and thinking "wtf is this shit" :lol: The game seemed so poorly made with kludgy animation, and was obviously a DK ripoff except you jumped with the joystick (which sucked). The apples were really frustrating too.

That said when the home ports came, I looked on it a little more kindly. Most especially because it was one of the few games I could get for my 5200 :lol: I think the VCS version ended up being a pretty decent port and one of the better VCS games around, certainly better than Coleco's DK.

There's an Atari 8-bit version from APX which is the 5200 version with a few bug fixes and better controls. Play that version instead. The 2600 version is serviceable (I enjoyed it back in the day) but it's not the best.

Actually, has anyone analyzed the 5200 and 8-bit versions to see what the differences are? I know Jim said he fixed the color of the strawberries, but I think he said he also fixed a few bugs.

Love Kangaroo! I used birthday money to buy it as a kid. We all remember the wall of games at Toys R Us back then, and it was daunting to have to choose one. Still love the game to this day, but damn it is hell on your hands using the standard joystick. Miss that diagonal to jump and down to the bottom you go. Unforgiving but still fun.

And as someone mentioned above, the "dots" are apples, not poo!

• Like 1