IGNORED

What have you actually PLAYED tracker for 2018 (Season 11)

Here are my times on classic systems for the past week (October 1st through 7th)...

Atari 2600:

Amoeba Jump - 6 min.

Chaotic Grill - 26 min. in 2 sessions

I didn't play very much this week because I'm still busy with doing the pinball part for Baby Pac Man on the Atari 7800. However, Amoeba Jump and Chaotic Grill received some updates by their respective authors, so I tried them for a bit and gave feedback for Chaotic Grill.

• Like 7

Sega Genesis -

It Came From The Desert - 20min

TI-99/4A -

Break Free - 10min

Flappy Bird - 20min

Jet Pac - 60min

Mad Marvins Great Escape - 20min

Pac-Man - 10min

Road Hunter - 30min

Sabre Wulf - 15min

TI Scramble - 15min

Titanium - 10min

Vectrex -

Missilebreak Outvaders - 30min

Ultima Akalabeth - 75min

Vector Gunner - 40min

• Like 7

My pre 2k gaming for the week. =)

Dragonfire - 20 min (This was on my Flashback Portable for the 2600 HSC. Had never played this before, but feel like I had seen it being played somewhere. Anyway, I found it really pretty hard. I'm currently in last place in the HSC I think. lol... maybe it's because I'm playing it on the Portable?)

Jaguar

Raiden - 90 min (Playing this for the Jagaur HSC. Got a pretty darn good score of over 190,000. First time I ever got past the first loop. Fun game.)

TurboGrafx-16

Raiden - 21 min (Okay, figured it out... TurboGrafx Raiden is like if you started on the second loop of Jaguar Raiden. There's more enemies, I think, and they definitely shoot more and faster. Also, when you die in Jaguar Raiden, you respawn right there... so whatever progress you've gotten on bosses or whatever carries over. Even with continues, you start up right there. On TG-16 Jaguar, it takes you back to a checkpoint... so the bosses reset and everything. Much harder game... the turbo fire just doesn't help that much. Still fun, but so much harder than the Jag version.)

• Like 6

Dragonfire - 20 min (This was on my Flashback Portable for the 2600 HSC. Had never played this before, but feel like I had seen it being played somewhere. Anyway, I found it really pretty hard. I'm currently in last place in the HSC I think. lol... maybe it's because I'm playing it on the Portable?)

I'm not sure if the Flashback Portable is a "real" system or if it's running on an emulator inside - too lazy to look it up. But especially with Dragonfire, any microsecond of lag would be a game breaker for me. I mentioned in the HSC thread that even changing from one Competition Pro joystick to another, almost identical one, made a huge difference. Also, any control method other than joystick would feel like hell. Keyboard, D-Pad, whatever.

• Like 5

C64

Galencia 77

Jumpman 2

Mancopter 16

Revenge of Defender 14

River Raid 73

River Raid 64: 2

Sub Hunter 53

Sub Hunt 20: 12

Summer Games 15

Trains 124

X-Out 4

Some Healthy C64 times for me. Trains is a game for kids by Spinnaker that isn't really much more than a train set simulation. I remember playing it as a kid and figuring out how to play the game on my own. As an adult, there's not much really to challenge me, but I played through all 8 stages for nostalgia's sake.

Sub Hunter is another homebrew (like Galencia). It mixes stages reminiscent of Sea Quest with some that are more like Polaris or Sea Wolf. It is a pretty descent arcade experience, but the copy that I downloaded from itch.io seems to be bugged as it always locks up on the 6th level. There is a cracked version in GB14 that does not seem to have this bug, so I switched over to that. It's a shame though because it is a free retail download from Itch.io. The Vic 20 inspired Sub Hunt 20 that comes with it also seems to be bugged. That one plays like an uglier version of Sea Quest, but every time you surface after collecting divers, the game freezes.

The C64 version of River Raid was the first version of the game that I ever played (same with HERO). It adds a few more enemies to the mix which give you a bit more sense of making progress along the river. Still very fun after all these years. River Raid 64 on the other hand looks to be an early homebrew. It plays slow and pretty much sux.

• Like 7

Keeping with the Halloween theme, it was mostly horror games around here once again this past week, though I did take a breaks from all the scares for some relaxing simulation gaming on the Wii as needed and a little Atari 2600 High Score Club participation. :)

3HpFzu2.jpg

Ineligible
Deadly Creatures (Nintendo Wii) - 170 minutes
JU-ON: The Grudge Haunted House Simulator (Nintendo Wii) - 328 minutes
SimAnimals (Nintendo Wii) - 353 minutes

Atari 2600
Dragonfire - 109 minutes

PlayStation
Alien Resurrection - 334 minutes

Total Video Game Play Time This Week
1,294 minutes (21 hours 34 minutes) [443 minutes eligible]

Individual System Play Times This Week
Nintendo Wii: 851 minutes
PlayStation: 334 minutes
Atari 2600: 109 minutes

For this week's horror games there were a couple I played, both of which were brand new to me. The first was Deadly Creatures and the second was JU-ON: The Grudge Haunted House Simulator, both being Wii exclusive games. Deadly Creatures is an incredibly unique 3D action-adventure / beat 'em up sort of game that has you alternating between playing as a tarantula and a scorpion, both fighting their way through the Sonoran desert as a grisly tale of murder and greed unfold by the humans (played by Billy Bob Thorton and Dennis Hopper) they encounter along the way. If that sounds awesome then let me be the first to assure you that it is indeed, 100% completely, every bit as awesome as it sounds. I'm only halfway through the game at this point and so far it has blown my socks off at every turn.

My other horror game for the week, JU-ON: The Grudge, wasn't quite as impressive as Deadly Creatures but it was still a lot of fun. There's not much to the gameplay other than slowly walking around some spooky locations collecting flashlight batteries (if your flashlight runs out of batteries you die) and solving simple "find the key to the door" sort of escape room puzzles while the game tries it's best to scare the bejesus out of you, but the scares are well designed and managed to make me jump several times in each of the game's 4 short levels. There is a 5th level that I'm working on unlocking a the moment, which takes place in the infamous house from the film of the same name, but it unlocking it requires that you find all the secret items hidden in the other 4 levels and that is proving to be quite a challenge. Fortunately the game changes up the scares a little with every play through, so even though many of the events are scripted the game still manages to find new ways to make me jump every time I go back to a previously played level to search for hidden items. JU-ON probably isn't worth the $40 or so that a complete copy commands on eBay right now, but if you're a die hard horror fan or manage to find a copy on the cheap then I think it's worth giving a try.

As far as my other gaming time for the week goes, with the Atari 2600 High Score Club starting up again for a new season I did finally make the time to play some Atari again like I've been talking about doing for months. This week's High Score Club game was Dragonfire, which was luckily one of the two dozen or so Atari 2600 games I actually own, and it was a pretty fun giving it a play again. The misses joined in on playing Atari as well and we each set new personal best high scores in Dragonfire, mine being 12,900 and hers 8,130. All the intense Atari action and horror games did leave me pretty tense afterwards though, so I decided to de-stress by trying out a new game for the Wii that I had been meaning to play for a while: SimAnimals.

From the makers of SimCity and The Sims, SimAnimals has officially dethroned SimAnt as my all time favorite Sim game! The simple gist of the game is that you play the hand of god and oversee a whole forest full of all kinds of creatures, trying your best to balance the ecology of the forest to keep as many creatures happy as possible; and by accomplishing certain goals along the way you gradually unlock more areas of the forest and new species of animals to play around with. Being a Sim game though you don't necessarily have to be a good overseer all the time, if for instance you got curious as to what might happen if you were to drop a half starved grizzly bear in to the middle of a herd of sleeping deer. It's also a rather educational game that got me thinking about ecology and conservation in whole new ways, like when I figured out that if I wanted to have lots of foxes in my forest I should plant buttercup flowers. Why? Because mice love eating buttercups so growing lots of buttercups will attract lots of mice, and foxes eat mice so in order to support a sizable fox population you need to grow lots of buttercups. Edutainment at it's best!

I'll probably continue playing SimAnimals for a good long while whenever I need some relaxing stress-free gaming time, but for now I should wrap up this week's post by saying that other than a little Dragonfire on the Atari 2600 the only game the misses played this past week was Alien Resurrection for the PlayStation. This was her second time playing Alien Resurrection, after giving it a try once last year then rage quitting and selling the game when she discovered that the game is insanely difficult and even on Easy mode it doesn't give you enough ammunition to complete the 5th of 10 levels; and unless you're a first-person shooter master it's almost impossible to beat the game without using cheat codes. It's a brilliantly crafted game with some of the most genuinely unsettling atmosphere and well timed jump scares on the PlayStation, not to mention some of the best polygon graphics the PS1 has to offer, but the difficulty level is utterly absurd. My wife has beat Doom and Final Doom on Ultra Violence difficulty half a dozen times and she still went into her second attempt on Alien Resurrection (after picking up another copy of the game on eBay) knowing that she will need to use cheat codes to finish the game this time around.

Whew! This was a seriously long winded post, but I think that about covers all the gaming news from around here for this week! Looking ahead to next week I'm planning on finishing Deadly Creatures and JU-ON: The Grudge and the misses is about halfway through Alien Resurrection at this point and planning on finishing her game as well even if she has to use cheat codes, so that's what's on our agenda for next week. Until then, and as always, best wishes and spooky gaming to you and yours! :)

Edited by Jin
  • Like 7

For this week's horror games there were a couple I played, both of which were brand new to me. The first was Deadly Creatures and the second was JU-ON: The Grudge Haunted House Simulator, both being Wii exclusive games. Deadly Creatures is an incredibly unique 3D action-adventure / beat 'em up sort of game that has you alternating between playing as a tarantula and a scorpion, both fighting their way through the Sonoran desert as a grisly tale of murder and greed unfold by the humans (played by Billy Bob Thorton and Dennis Hopper) they encounter along the way. If that sounds awesome then let me be the first to assure you that it is indeed, 100% completely, every bit as awesome as it sounds. I'm only halfway through the game at this point and so far it has blown my socks off at every turn.

This is a game that I passed on when it came out, but I regret that now. I keep my eyes out for a cheap copy whenever I go digging through bargain bins.

• Like 4

This is a game that I passed on when it came out, but I regret that now. I keep my eyes out for a cheap copy whenever I go digging through bargain bins.

Deadly Creatures is for sure worth picking up even if you have to pay the $15 + shipping eBay price. The whole game has a ton of polish and it's clear that THQ intended it to be a blockbuster title, but for some reason it just never got the attention it deserved at the time of it's release. Plus it's a game that lets you play as a spider! Even Spider: The Video Game for the original PlayStation didn't do this brilliant of a job of simulating the experience of being a spider, though it isn't perfectly realistic since the spider in Deadly Creatures does inexplicably seem to know how to preform a variety of professional wrestling moves. I can't say I've ever seen a tarantula clothesline a lizard then pick it up and bodyslam it in real life before, but then again I don't know that many tarantulas. :lol:

Edited by Jin
  • Like 4

Here's the summary for Week 40, running from October 1 - 7. We logged 3104 minutes of eligible play, playing 59 games on a total of 14 systems.

Top 10:

1. Alien Resurrection (PlayStation) - 334

2. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 261

3. Dragonfire (Atari 2600) - 232

4. Seaweed Assault (Atari 2600) - 220

5. Solar Fox (Atari 2600) - 148

6. Hunchy II (Atari 2600) - 138

7. Premier Manager 1 (Amiga) - 130

7. BattleTanx (N64) - 130

9. Trains (C64) - 124

10. Eggomania (Atari 2600) - 108

Pre-NES top 10:

1. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 261

2. Dragonfire (Atari 2600) - 232

3. Seaweed Assault (Atari 2600) - 220

4. Solar Fox (Atari 2600) - 148

5. Hunchy II (Atari 2600) - 138

6. Trains (C64) - 124

7. Eggomania (Atari 2600) - 108

8. Missile Command (Atari 2600) - 94

9. Galencia (C64) - 77

10. Ultima: Akalabeth (Vectrex) - 75

Top 10 systems:

1. Atari 2600 (1286)

2. C64 (392)

3. PlayStation (334)

4. TI-99/4A (275)

5. Vectrex (145)

6. Amiga (130)

6. N64 (130)

8. SNES (115)

9. Atari Jaguar (90)

10. Atari 8-bit (81)

Once again we have a week where the Atari VCS rules the roost in both the pre-NES and system domains, but the #1 game is a fifth-generation affair.

In this case, it's facehuggers and xenomorphs, as Alien Resurrection leads a densely-packed field to get the honors.

• Like 7

Probably won't have time to post any times this weekend... heading out on vacation right after work tomorrow... so putting in some times now. I mean, didn't play much anyway, but still, here it is.

Atari Jaguar (via emulation)

Atari Karts - 5 min (Never played this before. Was going to try to put in a time for the Jaguar HSC, but never got around to doing a run. Found a ROM and got it to work, which, in my experience, is half the battle of emulating the Jaguar.)

Alien vs Predator - 5 min (Again, was surprised it worked... don't think it ran that smoothly, but looking at videos online, that was probably the emulation. Started a game as a marine... killed about three aliens... then went through a door and there were about five aliens and they killed me pretty quick.)

(For vacation, going to Portland for a week. Should get a lot of play time in on Saturday the 20th at PRGE. Gonna try to figure out a way to track times. Also taking either my PSP or my Flashback Portable along.)

Edited by Eltigro
  • Like 6

while the bulk of my 'hardcore' gaming time has been dedicated to Forza Horizon 4, I've been trying to sneak in some Classic Gaming in between working on things at the house (dinner, housework, etc).

I've been playing imo a hidden gem of a game in Mighty Final Fight- honestly I think this game is better than Final Fight on the SNES.

NES

Mighty Final Fight -- 210 minutes

Monster Party -- 60 minutes

• Like 7

Looks like this is going to be one of our bigger weeks for overall gameplay. ILikeTurtles spent a lot of retro-time with our TI-99/4A.

TI-99/4A

Ambulance 10 minutes

Arcturus 5 minutes

Bouncy 10 minutes

Car Wars 5 minutes

Computer War 5 minutes

Dig Dug 4 minutes

Donkey Kong 20 minutes

Frogger 30 minutes

Jet Set Willy 60 minutes

Killer Caterpillar 5 minutes

Lasso 1 minute

Ms Pac Man 5 minutes

Pac Man 5 minutes

Parsec 12 minutes

Popeye 10 minutes

Q*Bert 30 minutes

River Rescue 3 minutes

Shamus 5 minutes

Skyway 30 minutes

Snake Plissken 15 minutes

Tutankham 10 minutes

He was definitely hitting the old-school third-party titles and the modern homebrews pretty hard! :) :) :)

• Like 7

Atari Jaguar:

1. AtarI Karts - 45 min

2. Raiden - 33 min

Videopac+ G7400 :

1. Cosmic Conflict - 50 min

2. Highwater Patrol - 20 min

3. Killer Bees - 85 min

4. Laser Blitz - 15 min

5. Mars Menace - 40 min

6. Piggyback Planet - 60 min

Neo Geo CD :

1. Ironclad - 75 min

2. Metal Slug - 22 min

3. Metal Slug 2 - 30 min

4. Pulstar - 58 min

5. Aggressors of Dark Kombat - 20 min

6. Samurai Spirits 2 - 35 min

7. Samurai Spirits 3 - 40 min

8. Samurai Spirits 4 - 24 min

9. King of Fighters 94 - 10 min

10 . King of Fighters 95 - 15 min

11. King of Fighters 97 - 29 min

12. King of Fighters 98 - 42 min

• Like 7

Here are my times for classic games for this week:

Windows / Visual PinMAME:

Baby Pac Man - 66 min.

Atari 2600:

Chaotic Kitchen (WIP) - 11 min.

I didn't play very much this week because I'm still hard at work on the Atari 7800 version of Baby Pac Man. I played the version of it on Visual PinMAME, which is a bit difficult to describe and to file, so I'm not sure if it's actually eligible here... to explain, there's a PC program for Windows called Visual Pinball which is a similar to a modern version of Pinball Construction Kit. There are various tables for it, and it also has a function to pair with another program, Visual PinMAME, whose job it is to run the original ROM's of pinball machines and connect them to the virtual table. So the table for Baby Pac Man has been recreated in Visual Pinball, but it runs the original ROM, so if you play the maze part, it's pretty much arcade perfect. Don't know how to file this... but I think I played and named this one before somewhere in the last 10 years... possibly when there was no tracker for modern games yet.

Other than that, there was a new update to Chaotic Kitchen which I played, which now has got all the six screens of the original arcade version and the pepper, but still some bugs as well.

• Like 6