IGNORED

Happy New Year... XM shipping this month

Curt Vendel

I have a website with a form for everyone who pre-ordered to send updated address info, so I'll build in batches and make weekly shipments out, so once I go to that I'm going to post up the website and have everyone submit everything and on the backend it prints out my labels, so it'll make things easy on my end to just pack and ship.

Great news Curt! I'm sure you've been asked before, but my email has changed since I've ordered my XM and so has my address. Can I contact you to verify my order info? Thankfully, my name has not changed and I do remember my email address even though it is long gone.

Hope you are doing well and thanks for the great news! I don't really understand much of it, but you explained it well enough for a rube like me to understand. icon_smile.gif

• Like 5

Sorry... no you haven't missed anything per se yet, it's still about a week out. I'm just sick of this whole "Box" debacle and it does NOTHING for our community whatsoever, doesn't do anything for Atari either, ridiculous Linux streaming box... nevermind, not worth getting into it...

The 3200 is something I discussed years ago, but I pulled off the table because I just wasn't up for it yet health wise and to put what is needed in place. So now I've decided to make it happen, its a full Atari 7800 compatible system with some built in extra's, done in a prototype unreleased case design and going to crowd fund it and get it out the door to help us have new hardware, new controllers and to open the door to doing more things, I'm talking many people here and on FB who've got great projects going on, the Esclair guys (not spelling that right I don't think) about their POKEY replacement, going the MOSIS route and getting a fresh run of new ASIC's done, perhaps doing them as an SMD package so they can be directly used in carts and then mounted onto carriers for direct DIP plugins... I've been working with a friend who was formerly with SONY and he had a 1450XLD case 3d scanned, it needed a tremendous amount of clean up, but imagine brand new 1450XLD cases made and the Esclair XL boards made to work in them, these are a lot of possibilities, but the 3200 will be the first stepping stone to us keeping our hobby and community vibrant and more alive, I'm also discussing a lot with Albert on getting Atariage tied in. Even Joe Decuir who was one of the 2600 engineers is involved, so this will go live in a week or so and Albert will be posting up things on the front page... for now, this is an unfinished website, but gives you an idea of whats coming: www.syzygy3200.com

thanks

This sounds too juicy to be true. Is it an FPGA console? Will it support hdmi? Every time someone builds an emulator/dumper unit and declares it a functional clone, a kitten dies.

Moving on, your 7800 recreation sounds like a fantastic idea. One suggestion though. Name it the 10400, since 2600 + 2600 = 5200, 7800, then 10400. But perhaps that's too close to the 1040st. :P

Or 7900, since you know, 78 plus 1. :D

It doesn't matter really. 3200 is good too which breaks down into 2^7 * 5^2. Okay I'm just being a geek now... :dunce:

Call it the flim-flam (since doo-dee is already taken)

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/242970-fpga-based-videogame-system/page-442?do=findComment&comment=4115815

and it will still be 1000000x the console that Tacobox thing will ever be. Actually scratch that. It will be infinitely better, since the Tacobox will be a zero and 0 * 1000000 is still zero. Yours will be like a Googolplex kn comparison.

Three Cheers Curt! :grin: :grin: :grin:

Also still waiting on you and Marty to collaborate on the Business is War book. Time's a wasting... ;-)

This sounds too juicy to be true. Is it an FPGA console? Will it support hdmi? Every time someone builds an emulator/dumper unit and declares it a functional clone, a kitten dies.

Moving on, your 7800 recreation sounds like a fantastic idea. One suggestion though. Name it the 10400, since 2600 + 2600 = 5200, 7800, then 10400. But perhaps that's too close to the 1040st. :P

3200 was one of the working names back in the day.

EDIT: But I want the XM in my hands long before I hear ANYTHING more about another project coming out of the same house.

Edited by Shawn
  • Like 9

Good freaking grief. No one even reads the first post any more. Jesus, people. #Learn2Internet

Come now, you know by now, the internet tends to bring out the stupid in people. See shipping fans in several fandoms as an example.

Seriously tho, I thought an updated 7800 with XM hardware in it would be released after the XM. Now we have a name for it. Echoing opinions about that info being released, maybe that should been dropped after the people got their hands on a XM.

Looking forward to all of the optimized ROMS for this machine. Having the upgraded soundchips will show what was capable with this machine if people with inspiration and vision were running Atari. The Atari that created the VCS, would have produced this version. Imagine every game with deep rich and detailed sound effects. It will be epic both for people with the new hardware and for those enjoying on emulator. Thanks Curt!

Seriously tho, I thought an updated 7800 with XM hardware in it would be released after the XM. Now we have a name for it. Echoing opinions about that info being released, maybe that should been dropped after the people got their hands on a XM.

Perhaps Curt has come to the conclusion that it is in fact cheaper to build the XM hardware into a new 7800 system instead of trying to piggy back on the original. And i am okay with that. Perhaps the Kickstarter is a success and all those XM preorders get a new, XM capable console, with better support and cleaner a/v outputs.

If anyone preordered the XM, they get a brand new console instead. I can't see any reason to complain.

Opcode is moving forward with the Promethius which will have the Super Module compatibility built into it plus more. With the low cost of making hardware in 2018, it is actually cheaper to just build a new console than produce an addon that supports the old one.

So perhaps, and this is just a theory, Curt abandons the XM for an XM capable 7800 recreation. And people get something better than what they preordered. Naysayers trying to kill the project until he ships out the XM first will inadvertently kill both. :ponder:

Perhaps Curt has come to the conclusion that it is in fact cheaper to build the XM hardware into a new 7800 system instead of trying to piggy back on the original. And i am okay with that. Perhaps the Kickstarter is a success and all those XM preorders get a new, XM capable console, with better support and cleaner a/v outputs.

If anyone preordered the XM, they get a brand new console instead. I can't see any reason to complain.

Opcode is moving forward with the Promethius which will have the Super Module compatibility built into it plus more. With the low cost of making hardware in 2018, it is actually cheaper to just build a new console than produce an addon that supports the old one.

So perhaps, and this is just a theory, Curt abandons the XM for an XM capable 7800 recreation. And people get something better than what they preordered. Naysayers trying to kill the project until he ships out the XM first will inadvertently kill both. :ponder:

We could only hope, but that is unreasonable. The money went to the shells. I'd be happy with an XM.

Edited by Zonie

What is the point of positing that as a "theory"? Curt was here just yesterday to post an update on the XM, so we already know he isn't planning to "abandon" it.

There has been enough controversy surrounding this project already, so I don't think it's wise to muddy the waters even further by floating "theories" like this. Let's just allow the project to come to its conclusion, and worry about the 3200 later.

• Like 13