IGNORED

How about a new IntyBasic Contest ?

CrazyBoss

Is it time for a new round ?

I'm of two minds on this. Given that so many people have been actively writing IntyBASIC games for several years now, I think a standard contest would be a) a little unfair, potentially, when it comes to rookie programmers, and/or b) just not that interesting - because people are busy with active development for cart release etc :)

So I started thinking of a different kind of contest - maybe set some artificial limits, like lines of code/KB of source, or announce the start and you have only 30 days, or something. Which of course has the reverse effect - experienced programmers have too much of an edge in something like that. Plus letting people's skills & imagination run wild usually ends up with the better results.

Maybe 2 categories - brand-new entrants in one group, people who were in the contest and/or have released an IntyBASIC game in a second? And entries are judged within the groups?

I'm not very good at coming up with ideas :P

• Like 2

I'm of two minds on this. Given that so many people have been actively writing IntyBASIC games for several years now, I think a standard contest would be a) a little unfair, potentially, when it comes to rookie programmers, and/or b) just not that interesting - because people are busy with active development for cart release etc :)

So I started thinking of a different kind of contest - maybe set some artificial limits, like lines of code/KB of source, or announce the start and you have only 30 days, or something. Which of course has the reverse effect - experienced programmers have too much of an edge in something like that. Plus letting people's skills & imagination run wild usually ends up with the better results.

Maybe 2 categories - brand-new entrants in one group, people who were in the contest and/or have released an IntyBASIC game in a second? And entries are judged within the groups?

I'm not very good at coming up with ideas :P

The idea is always to entice new programmers to join the community and to motivate current members to come up with new and exciting games. This is sort of standard in many other established communities.

I personally don't agree with the artificial limits idea. You could have categories, but these are like badges in that you could, for example, win "Best IntyBASIC Game" and simultaneously be labeled "Best New Game From A Rookie Programmer."

I also think that segregating people into "rookies" and "veterans" is counterproductive. The idea is to unify the community, promote new participation, and expand the pool of games -- and of course, have fun at it. Most people who join competitions do it for the fun of it. :)

Moreover, would it really be that bad if a star, veteran programmer were to win? I think that's precisely what we wish to celebrate. And if this star, veteran programmer were to win successive competitions, perhaps we can invite him to become a judge to give the opportunity to others.

So far, this hasn't happened, so it strikes me as a little premature to pre-emptively address this potential problem. ;)

-dZ.

Edited by DZ-Jay

• 1 month later...