IGNORED

Atari 5200 joystick coupler

amiman99

Hmm, I don't have CX40 joysticks, I'm a fan of Slick Sticks personally, so I use those instead. Let me do some research and see what I can do.

What do you mean the CX40 coupler is flimsy, does it bend, break etc?

Wha???? You don't have any CX40s at all? Wow. :)

Yeah, Atari's CX40 Coupler is flimsy because it isn't hard plastic like the 5200 or 7800 Couplers Atari designed.

Here's a common pic of it. It might be hosted here on AtariAge or B&C or Best Electronics:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-27G_Cig0xpQ/Tq_O8KnUmPI/AAAAAAAAH3Y/l_zzOPuHJRU/s1600/robotron+2084.png

OK, The 7800 Version 1 coupler for the original 7800 joysticks is done. I added a clip at the end of the coupler to try to prevent slippage. The wedge design of the joystick does not help. It took me longer then I wanted and few prints to confirm measurements.

I need a opinion on what is the preferred way to hold the joysticks with the coupler during play, is it on the table, in your lap, hands?? Personally, I tried holding in my hands and using my thumbs to control.

That's pretty close to Atari Inc's design on their unreleased 7800 ProLine Coupler. I gotta post some pics of mine into my gallery here at some point. I think some are posted over in the 7800 group over on Facebook.

OK, The 7800 Version 1 coupler for the original 7800 joysticks is done. I added a clip at the end of the coupler to try to prevent slippage. The wedge design of the joystick does not help. It took me longer then I wanted and few prints to confirm measurements.

I need a opinion on what is the preferred way to hold the joysticks with the coupler during play, is it on the table, in your lap, hands?? Personally, I tried holding in my hands and using my thumbs to control.

I would probably hold it on my lap .

Wha???? You don't have any CX40s at all? Wow. :)

Yeah, Atari's CX40 Coupler is flimsy because it isn't hard plastic like the 5200 or 7800 Couplers Atari designed.

Here's a common pic of it. It might be hosted here on AtariAge or B&C or Best Electronics:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-27G_Cig0xpQ/Tq_O8KnUmPI/AAAAAAAAH3Y/l_zzOPuHJRU/s1600/robotron+2084.png

I can't believe they went with that flimsy crappy setup for those .

The last 2600 Spy Hunter CIB I saw on eBay was going for well over $200. There have been several that have sold for over $100 without the plastic controller tray. One as recently as 12/11/2017.

That tray comes with Robotron on the Atari 400/800 . Here is an example of one that is from Germany . https://www.ebay.com/itm/ROBOTRON-2084-als-Cartridge-RX8033-in-Big-Box-fur-Atari-400-800-XL-XE/271983120537?hash=item3f53751099:g:WKYAAOSwiLdV8qLu

• Like 1

That tray comes with Robotron on the Atari 400/800 . Here is an example of one that is from Germany . https://www.ebay.com/itm/ROBOTRON-2084-als-Cartridge-RX8033-in-Big-Box-fur-Atari-400-800-XL-XE/271983120537?hash=item3f53751099:g:WKYAAOSwiLdV8qLu

Sweet! One of my friends has a 400 for that he no longer wants. Hmm. :ponder:

If more people requests Black color then I can print in Black. Right now I print using PLA plastic which is easier to work with. I have one roll of black ABS plastic that I did not touched yet, so I could use that.

I haven't decided yet <on selling STI File> if I want to go this route, but probably yes.

I posted a link to your Thread over at Racketboy in my Twinstick Guide.

http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=23550&p=1122949#p1122949

5200 Robotron - Space Dungeon

I have the 5200 adapter, definitely the best way to play Robotron and Space Dungeon. Your 5200 replacements look solid, anyone with a 5200 should buy a set to discover the twinstick mode.

7800 Robotron

For the 7800 version, a question of the more forgiving free float of the 5200 analogs vs the stiffness of the 7800 sticks. If a trade off in plastic strength, then perhaps "stick" with the grey plastic? Color not important if it compromises a base cracking later on. The wider base you designed looks great, how does it hold up for on the lap or in hand game play? A question of the stiff sticks causing the entire assembly to shift around. Placing on the table not idea, though one could easily place the pair of sticks with your holder on a lapboard flat tray.

STL File

Compared to DLC in games, this is one of the few times a "digital download" might be beneficial. The STL from what I gather is a standard for most 3D plastic printers? This important that the dimensions be exact as produced on your printer. There is the concern of your STL file getting resold and that would not be right.

If a decent price, I would be interested in both once you finalize the designs.

Edited by CRTGAMER

Danth, I need one of these in Black or 7800 Purple

Also this thread is about 5200 couplers...and yours are for the painline 7800 controllers...

Ah, I followed the link in the 7800 forum and didn’t realize I was in the 5200 forum, more of a response to the 7800 coupling. Also, they have a 5200 coupling on thingiverse.com. I will post mine there as well.

Ah, I wish I could have seen this before spending 5 hours in CAD...

But I did my own version of the 7800 coupling..

Maybe we can swap .STLs?

That looks very nice, like the prototype.

I did not want to copy the prototype do to copyright trolls (just in case), so I designed my own versions.

• Like 1

Ah, I followed the link in the 7800 forum and didn’t realize I was in the 5200 forum, more of a response to the 7800 coupling. Also, they have a 5200 coupling on thingiverse.com. I will post mine there as well.

I own an a/v-modded 5200 and also both 7800 and 2600-compatible Redemption 5200 units and would love to get one or two of these in black for using my CX24 Pro-Line 7800 sticks, and since these are the prototypes, I'll wait until a somewhat finalized version comes out. I have confidence that they will better and that there will be a ton of us wanting to buy one (or two).

I actually prefer to use the CX24 sticks over any others that Atari made that will work with the 2600 or 7800 (either the CX40s or the European issue CX78 NES-style controllers) because of the ergonomics being pretty much the same as the stock CX52 5200 controllers.

Danth, I need one of these in Black or 7800 Purple

Also this thread is about 5200 couplers...and yours are for the painline 7800 controllers...

Me too......and anyhow I also own 2 of each the 2600- and 7800-compatible Redemption 5200 units (and I'm sure there are more of you out there) who would love to get their hands on them too, so in a way, it should stay up here on the 5200 threads because it is of value to all of us who own Redemption units (Thank you Albert for coming out with them 10 years ago, they work great!) and use them most of the time on our 5200s.

Here is a version in "Sexy Black":

I sent you a PM concerning the plastics. That black came out nice!

The standard 2600 joystik is iconic, but too stiff for decent game play. I imagine there would be slippage and movement inside the flimsy Atari produced trays. I have seen wood boards routered out to countersink the CX40 sticks. For nostalgia, the best solution would be an in depth mod of the stick of micro or leaf switches.

skywriter-stick-station-1984_5jkb.jpg

@ amiman99 - Okay a challenge request. Got to thinking about 7800 Robotron and all the 2600 games that could benefit. I checked that Thingiverse site and could not find any holder for the WICO Command Control 2600 sticks. I have the traditional Bat Handles, but I think the Boss and multi stick series use the same base? Now this is the idea arcade style stick with leaf switches. There is the Tac 2, EPYX and others, but the WICO bat handles are much more common, robust arcade quality and not crazy inexpensive. The Wico has an advantage of much better control and the button at the top, perfect for duel stick 2600 games that also use the fire button.

Please look into a coupler for the Wicos, I would buy two sets! I think you could have a potential market for this.

Ebay 2600 Wico Search - https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=2600+wico+stick&_sop=15&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.X2600+wico+.TRS0&_nkw=2600+wico+&_sacat=0

joystick_wico_01.jpg

Edited by CRTGAMER

Here is a version in "Sexy Black":

After I get paid later on this coming week, I would love to get my hands on a couple of them, I would love to be one of the first to reserve my order for the CX24-compatible 7800 holders (in Sexy Black) if and when you do produce them for sale to the public. Nicely done!!!

After I get paid later on this coming week, I would love to get my hands on a couple of them, I would love to be one of the first to reserve my order for the CX24-compatible 7800 holders (in Sexy Black) if and when you do produce them for sale to the public. Nicely done!!!

....and perhaps, for consistency's sake, I would also reserve a couple of 5200 holders which would be my regulars for it as well.