IGNORED

Is Wolfenstein 3D a good port? (updated)

Brad2600

I'm a general Atari collector(collecting for everything except for the Lynx and the computers) and I'm bidding on a copy of Wolfenstein 3D for the Jag.

I remember playing this on a computer before..possibly a 486...and it was really nice looking for a game.

Does anyone think that the Jag version is worth getting? I'm currently at $5 for the bid but the guy is asking $5 shipping for a loose game..Ughh. Trying to see if he will lower it if I win.

Anyway, I want more Jag games as my Jag is rarely used. It's too bad as it's a very nice system!

yeah it pretty smooth frame rate. As far as price on it, i have seen it go for brand new in wrapper for a 20 dollar bin.Look other than ebay you might find a copy.Did you check the goat store? Also if you are patient dont bid to high, i seen it go for 3.25 like 2 weeks ago, unless u really really really want it, I wouldnt go to high considering it just a loose cart.

I think Wolf3d is one of the best games on the Jag. It is well worth the purchase.

Agreed! This one really shines. It's especially useful when people assert that the jaguar is no faster than the SNES' date=' etc. You ask them to compare their versions of Wolf3D... the Jag version blows the pants off the other ones!.[/quote']

i bought wolfenstein 3d for 26 euros/dollars.

it should arrive one of these days. i will see what the hyping is all about

It better be better than the snes version, that one wasnt that great and the jag is better equipped to handle the game. I have a question regarding the other games on both systems such as Flashback, Syndicate, Pitfall etc. are they any better on the jag than on the snes or are the worse? I would like some opinions so I can get more games. I already know that Raiden is quite a bit better on the jag, well the music i think is better on the snes though

if you can live with no music in doom. than doom for the jag is ok.

if you cant live like me without the music, then dont try it. even the saturn version sucks because of bad coding. i prefer the 32X version. since that has ingame music. now i only need to get a megacd. and then i have my genesis add ons complete

ill also say it again :)

The Jag version of Wolf3D is the BEST version ever released for any home console- and better than the PC version

it just cant get any better than the Jag

if you can live with no music in doom. than doom for the jag is ok.

if you cant live like me without the music, then dont try it. even the saturn version sucks because of bad coding. i prefer the 32X version. since that has ingame music. now i only need to get a megacd. and then i have my genesis add ons complete

I'll put on some really blistering Punk rock or early Metallica if I pick up a copy of Doom!

Speaking of which, I'm setting my sights on Doom next. The auction for Wolf3D is not yet done..so not sure if I won it or not.

i wonder why they didnt include music in it.

the midi file of it would be 6kb so. that shouldnt be a problem.....

The music is there. It just isnt played during the actual gameplay. During the stats in-between levels it plays the music that would have been played during the map. There is a trick you can do during a co-op I believe that will cause one of the Jag's to play the music instead of the sounds. I have never tried it... maybe I should.

I would like the music to play during the game. I really find that music helps the game in a huge way and in my opinion a good game with good music makes the game that much better. I can give many examples of music really helping a game. I dont know how many of you have played them but the super turrican games on snes they have awsome music and really help the mood, Shenmue as well, i can name many more but i think you guys get my point

music does help in lots of games - but some games or some game with some levels dont really need it in my opinion ;)

Super turrican had Great Music - i think im gunna fire up the emulator and listen to some :)

The characters on Wolf3d for the Jag are one dimensional. You can't come up behind them. Whereas on the PC version you can. Also there seems to be some graphic decorations missing on the Jag version of Wolf. That is my observations.

We use to play Doom on the Jag with Ozzy blasting on the stereo. Hehehehe. :evil:

The characters on Wolf3d for the Jag are one dimensional. You can't come up behind them. Whereas on the PC version you can. Also there seems to be some graphic decorations missing on the Jag version of Wolf. That is my observations.

We use to play Doom on the Jag with Ozzy blasting on the stereo. Hehehehe. :evil:

Sounds like the 32X version of Doom! That was so stilly, having monsters that always faced you!

As far as the monstors always facing you in Wolf3d I am not sure about that. I will have to play and look but I remember moving around behind bosses and to the sides of bosses. Maybe only bosses can look other directions. I don't remember... I'm gonna fire up the game tomorrow and have a look.

I play Doom on the internet using Zdaemon, Legacy Doom, and Doom Connector a lot (if you have not tried these you should... Zdaemon is a client/server port of Doom that has dedicated servers, allows in-game joining, keeps player stats, and much more. Doom Connector is an application kind of like GameSpy except for Doom. It puts you in a lobby with a list of rooms you can join and play. Legacy Doom has excellent OpenGL support and looks real pretty. It is not as efficient for multi-player as Zdaemon in my opinion because it is p2p but it is still an excellent port. Check em out.) Anyway... I turn the music off. I want to be able to hear when an opponent is close. I suppose this applies mostly to multi-player. In single-player sometimes I enjoy the music but I still find myself turning it off most of the time. Maybe this is because I play single-player on the Jag more than anything and when I jump on the computer I feel out of place with the music going.

Well looks like I won Wolf3D!

The guy gave me some B.S excuse for needing an additonal $5 for shipping..so the total will be $10.

I don't like that. All he's gotta do is take an old box, pad it with bubble wrap and send it out for dirt cheap.

Grrrrrrrr :x

I'll have it paid off soon anyway.

:D

Paying that bit extra for packing isnt that bad, with any luck he'll actually package it properly, too often I've had games come in just a padded envalope and been crushed by my postman trying to get it through the door :(.

Paying that bit extra for packing isnt that bad, with any luck he'll actually package it properly, too often I've had games come in just a padded envalope and been crushed by my postman trying to get it through the door :(.

Careful packing is something I'd gladly pay extra for. Too many people think that a padded envelope is great for a Jag game, but it offers no protection from heavy weight which will easily crush to box. The sad part is that here in the U.S. you can pick up a nice mailing box for free at the post office. It's meant for a VHS tape, but is bigh enough to hold a Jag cart.

The sad part is that here in the U.S. you can pick up a nice mailing box for free at the post office. It's meant for a VHS tape, but is bigh enough to hold a Jag cart.

My flash cart came packed in bubble wrap inside a plastic VHS tape case (the type you get shop-bought movies in), with that placed inside a padded envelope. Works very well for cart-only games, especially if they're expensive :)

I do agree with you that a box is the only way to go for boxed games though - here they're not free however.

Stone

I really hate it when people charge excessive amounts for shipping to canada, its ridiculous some times. Sometimes they charge like 8 bucks shipping or whatever for something that cost them like 3 bucks to ship and this is like a 3 dollar game. I dont know but does it cost more for you americans to ship to canada or do people just like to rip us off?

Archived