IGNORED

Proper name for a push button rocker switch?

Shawn

Hey all,

I'm looking for a push button option that acts like an on-on switch but I have no idea what the proper name of such a thing would be.

All the ones I'm finding are 3 stage with on - off - on when what I need is a 2 stage on - on. What I'm after is something like a rocker switch that is

controlled via a push button. Anyone able to follow my non-sense?

Shawn

An on-on switch I cannot comprehend? I know what you are trying to say actually I do believe. You are looking for a SPDT(single pole double throw) non momentary switch. Search that you will probably find what you are looking for.

EDIT:

This is what you mean right?

SPDT-switch-circuit.png

Here is a pic of an actual switch

open-uri20160601-21382-l6grgg.jpg

Which can be found here

https://vetco.net/products/spdt-bat-handle-toggle-switch-on-on-10a

And as you can see on the page you had the correct name for it, ON-ON or SPDT works.

Edited by SignGuy81

Hey all,

I'm looking for a push button option that acts like an on-on switch but I have no idea what the proper name of such a thing would be.

All the ones I'm finding are 3 stage with on - off - on when what I need is a 2 stage on - on. What I'm after is something like a rocker switch that is

controlled via a push button. Anyone able to follow my non-sense?

Shawn

I get the impression you need a controller for games such as track and Field and the Epyx Summer and Winter games; The tap back and forth to gain runner speed? There is the dedicated track Field controller with two buttons, but I found something at the swap meet that really works out well. The switches are independent, but a "rocking" controller perfect for the running games.

716yW-ai-dL._SX355_.jpg

http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=411999#p411999

Panasonic RP-2692 Footpedal

At first I thought the this was a foot pedal to work with a PC. It has a Backspace Button and a Start Button. It plugs right in the PC PS/2 port. OH CRAP, my sensor mouse stopped working when I tried the foot pedal with a USB adaptor. The Red LED light in the mouse completely died, now worried if I did some damage. After hard resetting my precious CRT iMac, waiting forever panicking for the defrag reboot, the mouse worked again. Popping the cover reveals a direct wire lead from the micro switches to the plug, no internal PCB. Whew! The USB port prevented permanent damage. Upon research which stupid me should have done first, this foot pedal plugs into a Dictaphone Transcriber Deck. Panasonic RR930 and RR830 Cassette Deck used in courtrooms, medical offices and sales.

Okay, so I have to pick up a cheap PC PS/2 keyboard and solder in the PCB. So what is the point of this two switch unit? It has very accurate micro switches inside and is a perfect switch box for Track and Field and any rapid rocking switch games! Easily a Mame capable using a gutted PC PCB keyboard encoder. By sticking with the PC PS/2 connector it can also hook into the PS2 SmartJoy Frag box.

Remember PSX Metal Gear during the torture scene? How about PS2 Ravin Rabbids or more recently the Castle Crashers level in PAL Alien Hominid. The foot pedal switches are HUGE and very responsive, great for the thumbs or slapping with the entire hands. So much better then the regular button switches

No, he wants a push button toggle switch.

I completely over looked the "push button" I probably didn't finish reading the whole thing so I apologize for not being thorough but this will work then.

73553DL_primary_225px.jpg?v=201711031933

It is a DPDT switch you can use it as SPST just leave one poll and its set of contacts alone(edited out a mistake getting all kindsa mixed up tonite)

Can be found here

https://www.delcity.net/store/Power-Window-Rockers/p_788898.h_788899.r_IF1003?mkwid=saMeLDwEL&crid=38094426869&mp_kw=&mp_mt=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIh-qz_raI2QIVwR-GCh1Rrg5OEAQYASABEgJxnfD_BwE

Edited by SignGuy81

Now just to clear things up. I missed the push button on the first reply I made. Then it is pointed out so I do find a momentary push button as apposed to the on-on toggle I originally posted, but am still unclear do you want a momentary or toggle? Reason I'm asking is because there is a toggle or momentary push button and there are also toggle or momentary rocker switches. That is where the confusion comes in.

Think of an arcade button. Press it once it rocks to one side, press it again it rocks to the other side. Or when it's pressed it hits the left and middle pole, when it's depressed it hits the right and middle pole. But is controlled with a vertical push button, not a rocker. Toggle not momentary.

Your reply came in after mine so now I found something that you may like better

phi3010055.jpg

http://cablesandconnectors.com/PIX/phi3010055.jpg

You would want Part number 30-10055

EDIT:

Or here is an ebay link to some others you might like instead

https://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Pcs-SPDT-Round-Button-On-On-Rocker-Black-Red-Switch-AC-6A-125V-3A-250V/272884696393?hash=item3f89320549:g:uKQAAOSwAClZ3107

Edited by SignGuy81

Yes but a real push button, not a rocker. like this crude ms paint winner:

post-7107-0-54822000-1517617704.png

So when it's in it's pressed or depressed it hits 2 out of 3 polls with the middle being the common connection.

Maybe they don't exist and I will just be stuck with a rocker or spdt :(

Yes but a real push button, not a rocker. like this crude ms paint winner:

attachicon.gifd.png

So when it's in it's pressed or depressed it hits 2 out of 3 polls with the middle being the common connection.

Maybe they don't exist and I will just be stuck with a rocker or spdt :(

This should do if it is the right size you need

s-l1600.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/AC-250V-5A-SPDT-1NO-1NC-5-Pins-Latching-Green-Push-Button-Switch-w-220V-LED-K0H3/172801968777?_trkparms=aid%3D555017%26algo%3DPL.CASSINI%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20150817211758%26meid%3D551a11017b0c4622b4d414472a77933e%26pid%3D100507%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26%26itm%3D172801968777&_trksid=p2045573.c100507.m3226

If you already have a SPST on-off toggle the right size you need for whatever you are putting it in you could also make it work using a relay perhaps but I think the one I posted above should do.

• Like 1

Make more sense now? Sorry for sounding like such a dumbass here but currently the shoe fits so I'm wearing it.

I'm the dumbass. You said it pretty clear what you wanted and only 5 replies later I got it(maybe).

I kinda glanced over the whole thing and saw kinda like a rocker switch and showed you the bat type toggle switch, then thought maybe since like a rocker switch but like a push button thought maybe you might a meant a momentary push button action in an actual rocker switch style, then after that I misinterpreted what you said and showed you a toggle rocker switch, then finally get to the actual "push button" toggle switch that many replies later, after CPUWiz pointed it out after the first reply I made and I still kept getting it wrong, lol. I'm the dumbass.

Edited by SignGuy81

Hopefully post #12 is what you wanted. What I make out of what you have said is that you want a latching push button that completes one circuit when depressed and a different circuit when released with one common lead.

This maybe?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/19mm-Mounted-Thread-3-Pins-SPDT-High-Head-Latching-Push-Button-Switch/163277284?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=571&adid=22222222227042227065&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=106305758477&wl4=pla-293289304157&wl5=9024793&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=111838760&wl11=online&wl12=163277284&wl13=&veh=sem

They sell them as on/off but, with three terminals I think they are the equivalent of a SPDT slide in push button form.

But what you want is like an Atari difficulty switch but a push button yes?

Edited by SIO2
  • Like 3

Hopefully post #12 is what you wanted. What I make out of what you have said is that you want a latching push button that completes one circuit when depressed and a different circuit when released with one common lead.

But what you want is like an Atari difficulty switch but a push button yes?

Correct

• Like 1

Sounds like you are looking for an SPDT (Single Pole Double Throw) latching pushbutton switch if you want two permanent states (push for one state, then push again to return to the previous state).

Otherwise you are after a SPDT momentary pushbutton switch (sprung to one state, held in the other only while being pushed).

If you are just replacing an existing switch you should not have any other considerations, if you are building something yourself remember that when the switch is a particular position the other throw connection will be floating (no connection to the pole). That is generally a bad idea (creates random results as the circuit responds to any stray signal pickup) and so depending on your application the throw connections will need to be pulled either high (if the pole is connected to Ground) or low (if the pole is connected to the supply) via a resistor so that a defined high/low input is always fed to the respective part of the circuit.

• Like 1