IGNORED

Budget Atari and Capcom arcade cabinets to see release this fall!

21 minutes ago, Zoyous said:

I'm not sure what the deal is with that bezel design they've come up with. It looks similar to bezel from the cabaret cabinet, but they've added an unattractive yellow trapezoid at the bottom of it.

The ugly grey plastic bezel around the original, doesn't look so hot either.

later

28 minutes ago, negative1 said:

The ugly grey plastic bezel around the original, doesn't look so hot either.

later

Maybe not - and I wouldn't really expect A1up to spring for a molded plastic bezel like that - but I just object to adding some "artwork" that wasn't there to begin with. Why not just go with the original cabaret bezel design? Ultimately it's no big deal. I'll be thinking about getting the stand-up cab when it's out next year.

If they ever do an After Burner/Space Harrier cabinet... that would be hard to resist, too.

I do like that Outrun cabinet, just no room for something like that with the sit down attached.  I saw this video the other day that compared like a dozen + releases of the original and was surprised to see short of emulation the PC Engine one seems to be the most nice version you can pick off which pleases me as I own it. :D  For the price and room they eat up I really wish they all ran more than like 3-4 games a piece.  I know some have the button array and stick with it where you could swap PCBs, that is an option at least.

1 hour ago, Tanooki said:

I do like that Outrun cabinet, just no room for something like that with the sit down attached.  I saw this video the other day that compared like a dozen + releases of the original and was surprised to see short of emulation the PC Engine one seems to be the most nice version you can pick off which pleases me as I own it. :D  For the price and room they eat up I really wish they all ran more than like 3-4 games a piece.  I know some have the button array and stick with it where you could swap PCBs, that is an option at least.

The PC Engine version is pretty impressive! I've heard lots of people prefer it over the Genesis/Mega Drive version, but they both seem really good to me. Personally I think the Saturn version played with a racing wheel is probably the most accurate console version.

Yes, I agree swapping out the PCBs is the way to go if you don't have much room. Another user on here was saying they have had good luck getting used PCBs from people who are modding their cabinets with Raspberry Pi's or other computers.

2 hours ago, Tanooki said:

The standup version is the one for people that want to take up less space.

later

2 hours ago, Zoyous said:

The PC Engine version is pretty impressive! I've heard lots of people prefer it over the Genesis/Mega Drive version, but they both seem really good to me. Personally I think the Saturn version played with a racing wheel is probably the most accurate console version.

Yes, I agree swapping out the PCBs is the way to go if you don't have much room. Another user on here was saying they have had good luck getting used PCBs from people who are modding their cabinets with Raspberry Pi's or other computers.

I have owned it on PCE, Genesis, Game Gear, GBA (Sega Arcade Gallery), and 3DS download currently or before.  The 3DS one isn't fair, it's just the arcade game, but if you skip back to those attempts to do it, the PCE really is the closest which is kind of a shaming on the Genesis for sucking worse from their own maker.

1 hour ago, negative1 said:

The standup version is the one for people that want to take up less space.

later

Very well aware of that, I was speaking more in generality as well as myself as it sticks out quite a bit.  You'll need probably near a pinball machine sized space to do it while the stand ups aren't all that big.

15 hours ago, Tanooki said:

I have owned it on PCE, Genesis, Game Gear, GBA (Sega Arcade Gallery), and 3DS download currently or before.  The 3DS one isn't fair, it's just the arcade game, but if you skip back to those attempts to do it, the PCE really is the closest which is kind of a shaming on the Genesis for sucking worse from their own maker.

I can't really agree. The PCE has smaller sprites, fewer hills to crest, there are fewer scenery sprites (e.g., no water next to the first track), road junctions look worse as they were handled with interlacing rather than another layer of road, there are no road junctions after a checkpoint, there is no animation of the car arriving at the starting line, you don't arrive at the finish line animation - it's changed to a fade to black followed by a cutscene. Overall the PCE version is still really good, but I think the Gen/MD version is more accurate to the arcade.

Even after owning an Arcade1UP for a while, parting with it and telling myself I really don't need another, that OutRun seriously has me tempted. Would love to own an original cab, but there's no way in hell I'm getting that thing up my stairs and so this could be a fun alternative. I am curious how well that wheel works. Turbo OutRun and Power Drift are nice bonuses as well. It would be in complete "insta-buy" territory for me if it had OutRunners on it.

*Edit: Looked at the photo closer. Holy crap, it DOES have OutRunners! Haha, I must be getting old... OK, I'm definitely going to be tracking one of these down when funds free up.

Edited by Austin
I'm an idiot.
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Austin said:

Even after owning an Arcade1UP for a while, parting with it and telling myself I really don't need another, that OutRun seriously has me tempted. Would love to own an original cab, but there's no way in hell I'm getting that thing up my stairs and so this could be a fun alternative. I am curious how well that wheel works. Turbo OutRun and Power Drift are nice bonuses as well. It would be in complete "insta-buy" territory for me if it had OutRunners on it.

*Edit: Looked at the photo closer. Holy crap, it DOES have OutRunners! Haha, I must be getting old... OK, I'm definitely going to be tracking one of these down when funds free up.

Just keep in mind it's VERY small and there's no backing on the bench. You may want to check it out in person or wait for the stand up model.

1 minute ago, Bill Loguidice said:

Just keep in mind it's VERY small and there's no backing on the bench. You may want to check it out in person or wait for the stand up model.

Oh yeah, I'm mainly interested in the standup version. It looks like Arcade1UP doesn't have an entry for that one yet on their website, but I'll keep an eye out for it.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Balloon_Jouster said:

Golden Axe is back at Gamestop! It's $100 more expensive than the initial release on their website:

Hmm, I thought the price increase but was supposed to include "enhancements" like a stool, addional games and / or features to warrant the price increase.  At least that was alluded to on the 1Up Facebook Official fan page (I believe it was 1Up's John Diamonon but I could be wrong).

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Curious Sofa said:

Hmm... No Lit Marquee??  That seems painfully shortsighted.  I love Xmen vs SF dearly, and like the cab design.  And I even like the SNES game thrown in there.  But not sure on this one.

This is the basic $300 version with no riser or light up marquee that Arcade1up's been doing this year for Walmart. They also did this for Pac-Man 40th and Ms. Pac-Man. The $400 versiom will come with a light up-marquee.

Does this game cabinet need a lift? Matching riser included. Need to bask in the glow of your sizable skills? A light up marquee comes included.

https://arcade1up.com/collections/cabinets/products/xmen_vs_streetfighter

https://www.walmart.com/ip/X-Men-VS-Street-Fighter-Arcade-Machine-with-Riser-Arcade1Up/911365167

7 hours ago, negative1 said:

Outrun unboxing and first look:

As noted in the video, the pedals look like they're not very robust. The cable seemed to be a 3.5mm audio cable so you could easily extend it with a female to male cable and mod this to be a stand-up cabinet on a riser. The host didn't play the games much, but from what I can see, it looks like the wheel provides fairly precise control. And there's a micro-USB on the PCB... personally, I expect it allows for linking cabinets to play Outrunners multiplayer, but we don't know for sure yet.