IGNORED

Budget Atari and Capcom arcade cabinets to see release this fall!

Posting this for the tear-down bits (at ~2:14):

Well, the good news is that the Monitor connects to the board using a jumper/cable harness, meaning it's likely just a standard VGA monitor, and can be fairly easily hacked to connect to a laptop/RPi, etc. So isn't not directly soldered onto the board, or a surface mount mess. Cool. So maybe buying one of these isn't a bad move.

Thanks for posting this.

Edited by John Stamos Mullet

Damn.

another one where I was like GREAT! a Pac-Man Cab!

but then it turns out it's just pac-man and pac-man + and .... nothing else.

Well if they provided a true 4-way joystick in the Pac-Man cab that would fall under the "special control scheme" category for me, and be pretty cool for what it is.

I mentioned Q-Bert with it's diagonal controls earlier, but the Pac-Man games (and other 4-way titles like Pengo, Amidar, etc.) are another common issue with multi-cabs where the control can get kludgy with an 8-way joystick. Yes, some games are more forgiving then others..

Edited by NE146

This is what I'm thinking. Scoop one up in January or February from Bed, Bath & Beyond when they put the leftovers on their typical post-Christmas overstock "we gotta get these off the floor" discount, while using one of their weekly 20% off one item coupons.

the 20% coupon or whatever is not applicable, they stated that already. though they do have some kind of buyers program, but you have to pay to get some other savings.

later

Damn.

another one where I was like GREAT! a Pac-Man Cab!

but then it turns out it's just pac-man and pac-man + and .... nothing else.

there will probably be a multi-namco cab down the line. we'll see.

As far as I know, nothing has changed. Arcade1Up confirmed Fry's and Best Buy as carrying this model on Facebook, which I posted earlier in this thread. I believe the Atari model along with the Galaga cab were advertised before they were supposed to be, as it appears Arcade1Up planned to make the announcement. Now, I don't know if the Atari cab is the mysterious second "secret" cab (Galaga was the first) but I'm sure we'll know soon enough.

Ah, I see now that Pac-Man may be the second secret cab, but who knows? Maybe one of them is a "double secret" cabinet... ;)

in the video, the stated release date for pac-man is october, and the official tweet was pac-man news in october. so that's not really a secret.

later

Edited by negative1

just going over the titles in my mind,

and thoughts on which versions, and which games

are really worth playing or including together.

and wondering if the title games, were actually

the best ones to go with..

===================================================================

standalones

Each one of these are 5/5 stars, but only for people

that actually are fans of those titles.

-------------------------------------

space invaders - ok, it's an iconic title, so no problems here, i don't think the sequels were worthwhile, so

no loss there, the graphic sideart looks great. so no issues there.

no, of course, they're not going to recreate the mirrored screen, and features etc.

but will it be the basic black/white, green monitor effect. hmmm.

=================================

galaga / galaxian - galaga is all time classic, so no problems there,

i didn't care for galaxian (to me it was a space invaders clone),

galaga holds up on its own

---------------------

galaga has a lot of question marks - which version will it be? what settings?

will there be a kill screen on level 255/256?

some versions continue at 0, and then level 1 again.

will the 'no shoot' bug still be in there.

obviously, the fast shoot mod option will not be there.

no idea as to which rom version it will be.

galaxian had a lot of versions too, but they

didn't really make a difference, unless they

were the super versions, or bootlegs.

==============================

pac-man / pac-man plus - another alltime greatest hit, pac-man plus is underrated to most, but to pac-man fans

its got its own unique quirks. fine with this one.

---------------------

will pac-man have the killscreen at level 256? maybe a few people will find out.

pac-man plus has one also.

there were 'new chip' versions, along with turbo ones,

but i doubt those will be considered.

namco fixed the roms and versions to allow play on some versions, so it starts

over again (but still playing the 9th key patterns).

i would actually consider getting this.... we'll see how it pans out.

=====================================

capcom fighting series 1

---------------------------

street fighter 2 series - i'm ok with all of these, it's somewhat consistent, but including the two super

versions seems redundant, ever though super turbo has the new super combo in it

street figthter 2 turbo - an alltime classic, unknown rom version

super street fighter 2 - lesser known, but adds 4 new characters, unknown rom version

super street fighter 2 turbo - lesser known, but adds super combos, unknown rom version

-----------------------------------------------------------------

williams model

----------------------------------

rampage - was never a fan of it, but in order to make this 3 player cabinet work, and have extra controls for

the other games, i guess it had to be the title one

---------------------

joust - a 2 player classic, and a great game for one player, some deep strategies for experts, most people

won't last that long in it, and it used a 2 way directional joystick (like galaga),

but can easily be played with a 4/8 way stick

i doubt this version will be the one with 'pterodactyl' hunting bug, where

you could just kill them all day long. it will probably be the fixed bug rom.

---------------------

defender - another alltime great, although with the restructuring of the buttons, will be tricky, although

again, the games difficulty will kill off most people quickly anyways, experts won't be playing this

or buying it for this, unless they alter the controls just to play it.

if anyone hits the 995k mark, to get all the free men until a million,

i would be completely shocked.

---------------------

gauntlet - another megahit, but unless you're an expert at 1 player, only 1 other player can join you, with 255

levels, it's got tons of depth, most people won't get past the first few levels

there were at least 14 rom revisions of this

some had - less food

- regular settings

- different difficulties

etc. so no idea which one they will put on here.

---------------------

on paper this looks like a pretty decent 3/4 games, but considering the difficulty of them, unless you really a

certain game, or a set of them, this is a really a subpar collection

from williams, especially with the cramped controls

i would rate this as 3 out of 5 stars for game selection, based on poor controls and layouts.

============================================

atari collection 1

---------------------

asteroids - perfect choice, as a classic game, although the original vector graphics will be lost, the button

controls and boring , repetitive gameplay are all there.

yes, i don't like the game, but after getting through 4 boards, that's all there is to it, and once you master

saucer hunting, you should be able to rack up hundreds of men

and play forever.... i don't see any experts doing that.

it should be popular enough for the casual player to get it though

---------------------

major havoc - a very unknown, and underated game. super hard to play, again all the look

of the vector display is lost here also. that plus tricky gameplay makes it hard sell.

there were a few rom revisions of this game.

supposedly a 'fixed' version of this game, is coming out next year which allows the gameplay

to end instead of looping at the end.

i doubt many players will actually even get that far.

---------------------

lunar lander - a very simple to learn, hard to play game. its very short, and has very little

replay if you don't get it at first. not very fun, and not a game that anyone would get it for.

that and the original controls are lost.

---------------------

tempest - yes, it was huge when released (but i argue it was a sign of the times, and really has no arcade

legacy besides console sequels), excellent vector graphics, which will be

lost on the lcd, and the iconic spinner... this is an underated game for gameplay, although i argue its just

space invaders all over again. no ones getting to the invisible levels,

the light blue or green any time soon (without level select), so no hardcore players will want this..... i

don't even know they included it on here, super breakout would have been

a better spinner/paddle game

there were a few early broken tempest roms that came out, that had all kinds

of cool debug things, depending on the last 2 digits of your score.

i think this will be the final fixed rom.

---------------------

this is probably the worst collection of all the games, too many games are too hard,

they don't look right, and the spinner control, if not precise, will just make things even worse.

this is probably a 1/5 star collection, with tempest being the only saving grace of them.

===========================================

atari collection 2

---------------------

centipede - an all out favorite classic and standalone game, this one could be all by itself and still sell,

great choice

---------------------

millipede - the lesser known game, and harder for new players, but easier for experts, i dont see anyone caring

for this, or getting it for this,

although its a nice throw in as a sequel

---------------------

missile command - masterpiece of a game, although its way too hard for anyone to play, unless you're a master,

you'll never get to the 0x levels, or get the hundreds of extra cities,

or even see the upper levels, so yes, it's known, but i don't any fans will get it for this

---------------------

crystal castles - an excellent, but underrated game, basically an isometric pac-man.

there's a ton of depth to this game, and most people will never get to level 10 the end.

however, its cute enough, and basic enough that people will last through the first few

levels.

it's brutally hard past level 7, especially since you can't just warp to those latter levels.

there's some longevity to it. but i don't think any dedicated fans will get it for these.

==================================================================================================

so although it looks like a 4/4 for titles, 2 out 4 aren't really that well known, and 2 of those are super hard..

granted unless you're a centipede expert, you won't see the extra man for everything you kill glitch at 996k

either. i doubt any expert centipede players will buy this either.

there's just too much unknown in the trackball response, and playing it flat, instead of slanted.

i think the trackball might be the right size though, we'll see.

i would rate this as 4/5 stars for game choices.

since the trackball is the key here, if it is precise, it will be an excellent

collection. millipede feels redundant, marble madness would have made this an almost

instant buy (but that would require 2 trackballs for 2 player mode).

=======================================================================

atari deluxe

------------------------------

all the games from atari 1 and 2 plus

liberator

-----------------

a very lesser known inverse missile command game, not really known, and not a fan favorite.

the game has a bug that ends on level 19, and it has never been fixed. EVER.

quantum

-----------------

a lesser known, but supercool underated trackball game. kind of like a freeform qix,

except you are collecting the fuse and particles.

excellent choice for preserving a game, even though it used vector graphics.

it has never been ported, or released on its own before.

gravitar

-----------------

a super hard gravity type game, with mazes and shooting. another lesser known

title. there are some hardcore players out there.

if you can last a few minutes, then you are good. unless you are leeching

points off the select screen.

i doubt people will play this much. but if you want to master something, it has

depth to it.

asteroids deluxe

-------------------

more of the same as asteroids, except harder. yes, you can still saucer hunt,

but its way way harder. you won't be getting the overlay with this.

and if they don't cheap out, the vector graphics will be blue, instead of white

like asteroids.

again, if you don't like asteroids, you won't like this either. even with the

shields. the extra enemies make it a pain and not as minimal as the original.

(which i didn't like either).

================================

this is by far the best value, and best collection with tons of great hits,

well known titles, and variety of gameplay ranging from basic to super hard.

the mixed art of centipede and asteroids looks pretty cool on black also.

although the lesser known titles will never get much gameplay from most people.

the controls will literally make or break how its recieved, and if people will

actually be able to master any of these games.

as its currently looking, most casual players, will never see any of the extended

gameplay, deep levels, ending screens or masterful play that the standalone titles

would..

i give it a 4.5/5 stars overall

=======================================================================

future release

=================

capcom 1

strider

------------

strider or strider hiryu is a classic side scrolling hack and slash,

i only played it home, and never in the arcades, but it does have

appeal to fans of it, and the artwork looks great.

this is a decent choice

final fight

---------------

one of the first iconic 2 player beat em up games, that would become

a huge genre. it has a huge following, and could have actually been

the main game on its own.

good choice

1944 loop master

----------------

the 5th game in the 19xx series of vertical scrolling shooters.

i didn't even know about this game, until i saw it mentioned here.

and I LOVE SHOOTERS. this looks like a good game, but in no way

shape or form should it be here. of course 1942 is a pure classic.

heck, even 1943 or kai should be here. but nope, they stuck this on here.

very poor choice.

ghosts and goblins

------------------

an alltime classic sidescrolling adventure game, with super hard challenge.

i doubt anyone will finish the second loop, especially with the shield. its

incredibly tough. the rest of the gameplay will keep people preoccupied for

the first couple of levels.

i'm pretty sure you can continue, but if you're not that good, you will continue

to die.

you can kill of zombies for millions of points early on to gain men, but that

might be the only way to get to the real ending if you're good.

good choice.

=================================================

so overall 3/4 games are good.

i would rate this as 4/5 stars for fans of 1 or all of the other games.

good variety, and decent controls should make it an easy choice.

=============================================================================

a very mixed compilation of game releases, but who knows what they will release in the future.

if the controls hold up, a couple of these would be worth getting.

getting them for one title or series would only be worth it if you like that particular game,

and don't mind the compromises, in size, controls and screen fidelity.

later

Edited by negative1

The parts for the control panel definitely look better than I expected, so that's nice. I'm still curious about the overall sturdiness of the cabinet and the quality of the screen. Interesting that the speaker is mounted to the control panel as well. Generally cab speakers are up by the player's head, not down by the buttons.

I think my points still stand. Average Joe isn't going to want to get three Street Fighter units that he has to repair in any way. Unless it's included for free or he has a truck, shipping costs money whereas a car's back seat is enough for A1Up. And it's still a $300 three-game unit as opposed to getting three $200-300 single game cabinets. These 3/4 cabs aren't for purists, as I believe this thread has shown time and time-again.

I agree with you 100%, these are definitely not for purists and I could see them maybe being more viable to some people than a regular cabinet.

What made me feel the need to comment was some of the more generalized positive comments and attitudes taken by people who never bothered to seriously look into owning a cabinet. The price point isn't some mind blowing bargain compared to a real cab, and anyone with an extra $50 can buy an additional XXXX-in-1 JAMMA board. The assembly-required setup may make initial transport easier but the tradeoff being cheaper materials and a weird playing position. Their footprint is smaller than a real cab, but still big enough that I don't realistically see anyone moving them from room to room no more than you would a full size cabinet. Anyone with stars in their eyes thinking "Wow, I've always dreamed of owning a real cabinet and now's my chance!" shouldn't just blow off buying the real deal (and potentially be disappointed) just because it requires more footwork than walking into Wal-Mart.

If someone was offering a real cabinet with a tiny 17 inch LCD monitor, knockoff stick & buttons, unlit irreplaceable marquee, and a 2 game emulation PCB with no options..... well good luck selling that.

• Like 1

I agree with you 100%, these are definitely not for purists and I could see them maybe being more viable to some people than a regular cabinet.

What made me feel the need to comment was some of the more generalized positive comments and attitudes taken by people who never bothered to seriously look into owning a cabinet. The price point isn't some mind blowing bargain compared to a real cab, and anyone with an extra $50 can buy an additional XXXX-in-1 JAMMA board. The assembly-required setup may make initial transport easier but the tradeoff being cheaper materials and a weird playing position. Their footprint is smaller than a real cab, but still big enough that I don't realistically see anyone moving them from room to room no more than you would a full size cabinet. Anyone with stars in their eyes thinking "Wow, I've always dreamed of owning a real cabinet and now's my chance!" shouldn't just blow off buying the real deal (and potentially be disappointed) just because it requires more footwork than walking into Wal-Mart.

If someone was offering a real cabinet with a tiny 17 inch LCD monitor, knockoff stick & buttons, unlit irreplaceable marquee, and a 2 game emulation PCB with no options..... well good luck selling that.

Where are you guys finding these $500 full size working arcade cabinets? I sure can't find them; not actual licensed ones, anyway. Any Arcade 1Up title I look for comes up with $1000+ for working full size and 100% legal cabinets. That doesn't even include freight.

DIY options have been discussed in the thread already. DIYers gonna DIY, but that doesn't appeal to everyone. There will be some people collect them all, but I doubt anyone outside Ebay profiteers who are looking at these as investments.

Anyway, it looks like they're going gangbusters with sales. Can anyone explain that?

• Like 1

Where are you guys finding these $500 full size working arcade cabinets? I sure can't find them; not actual licensed ones, anyway. Any Arcade 1Up title I look for comes up with $1000+ for working full size and 100% legal cabinets. That doesn't even include freight.

Price and availability fluctuates, but generally you look for local businesses and sellers. Craigslist is a good place to start. Finding enthusiasts and collectors on forums in your area can get you in the right direction as well and even net you some good deals (example, I picked up a Final Fight cabinet from a local collector for $250 a couple of years ago. Needed monitor work but after that I paid about $500 total for it, after adding a Pandora's Box 3 multi-game emulation PCB). Arcade and game room events that focus on buying/selling/trading are good too (an example being the Whiterose Game Room show in York, PA, every September/October, though it tends to focus on pinball).

One of the local businesses that sells games in my area seems limited on variety at the moment, but here are a few examples (I bought a game from him a few years ago):

Cruisin' USA sit down ($475): https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/clt/d/cruisin-usa-sitdown-arcade/6667803702.html

Ms. Pac-Man ($650): https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/clt/d/full-sizefully-working-ms/6679841734.html

Area 51 Site 4 ($475): https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/clt/d/full-size-fully-working-area/6665940738.html

A few months ago he had some conversion cabs in the $250 to $300 range like Twin Eagle and Ikari Warriors. Prices are dependent on the game, cabinet type, how in demand it is (Pac-Man and Donkey Kong usually sell for a little bit more), etc. You just have to keep an eye out.

• Like 2

A few months ago he had some conversion cabs in the $250 to $300 range like Twin Eagle and Ikari Warriors. Prices are dependent on the game, cabinet type, how in demand it is (Pac-Man and Donkey Kong usually sell for a little bit more), etc. You just have to keep an eye out.

I do appreciate what you both are saying; I just don't think their target consumer is the DIY, "repair the monitor", "keep an eye out" crowd. That these are lighter and have two-to-twelve games makes it more appealing, not less.

Personally, I'm not in the market for any arcade cabinet of any sort. Oh, they'd be a blast for a while but I'd prefer something more practical. I do see the A1Up's appeal from a more casual perspective (compared to an aficionado's). All bets are off if the build quality isn't good enough.

• Like 2

in the video, the stated release date for pac-man is october, and the official tweet was pac-man news in october. so that's not really a secret.

later

The official tweet only says "Watch for our announcement in October" - it says nothing confirming Pac-Man and was in response to an inquiry about a Pac-Man themed cabinet with various Pac-Man themed games.

Also the "secret" part is from Arcade1Up - they've been milking the 2 "secret" cabs line for a while now, so according to them its a "secret" until they officially announce it (like they did with Galaga).

But yeah, secret is out, unless things change.

I do appreciate what you both are saying; I just don't think their target consumer is the DIY, "repair the monitor", "keep an eye out" crowd. That these are lighter and have two-to-twelve games makes it more appealing, not less.

Personally, I'm not in the market for any arcade cabinet of any sort. Oh, they'd be a blast for a while but I'd prefer something more practical. I do see the A1Up's appeal from a more casual perspective (compared to an aficionado's). All bets are off if the build quality isn't good enough.

It just strikes me that the target demo for this product is extremely narrow. Seems like the basic criteria is:

Men, (and maybe a smattering of women, but not many, given how these games were marketed in their original heyday)

between 40 and 55,

who so fondly remember arcade games to the point that they would be motivated to buy one for their house,

which needs to have adequate free space for something roughly the size of a small refrigerator or a stand alone ATM machine like you see in a 7-11,

who have enough disposable cash laying around to justify dropping $350 on 2-4 individual video games that can never be added to or upgraded.

but...

who also aren't arcade game purists, or heavily into the retro gaming scene enough to know the difference in quality between these and a real arcade cabinet,

or know that you can DIY a fullsize official and much sturdier cab for close to the same money.

I mean - maybe I'm being overly critical, but that seems like a really narrow window of sales.

or know that you can DIY a fullsize official and much sturdier cab for close to the same money.

Are we talking monopoly money? Come on, close? Really? This has already been covered - you're not getting a ready made, out of the box experience like this for $299, period.

And DIY? I'd like to see that! Better yet, "I'd buy that for a dollar!"

Are we talking monopoly money? Come on, close? Really? This has already been covered - you're not getting a ready made, out of the box experience like this for $299, period.

And DIY? I'd like to see that! Better yet, "I'd buy that for a dollar!"

I may be getting older, but I'm pretty sure that the definition of "DIY" is the antithesis of "ready made, out of the box."

Let's break it down.

3 sheets of 3/4 plywood @ 4x8 - $80

Various other pieces of lumber (2x4's and such) to hold your box together: $20

1 used 19" 4x3 aspect LCD monitor from ebay/amazon: $25

Raspberry Pi for gaming: $35

Mayflash arcade Controller (to use for buttons and stick) or similar pelican style arcade controls from amazon or gamestop, etc $35

powered computer speakers for audio: $15

Corded Drill: $29

Corded Jigsaw: $40

2 Cans of Black Spray paint: $10

1 box 2" coarse thread drywall screws.

All of the above is everything you need, and it's EXACTLY $299. In most cases, I over estimated on price, especially the lumber.

Now of course this requires the requisite skills to operate power tools, measure and plan the shape of your cab, a place to actually do the work of cutting and assembling etc. So obviously this is not for everyone. It also doesn't include nice side art or a glass bezel - but those aren't really necessary. This would be for a full size 6 foot arcade size cab, with the right proportions and controls/monitor alignment so that people over 5 feet tall won't get a stiff neck playing it. and using linux + MAME and roms, you would have THOUSANDS of games to choose from, instead of 2 or 3.

We could get into the whole licensing debate, but most people really do not give a shit about that, as the licensing is only really a concern if you're planning on adding a coin slot and putting it in a public place for profit. Sure, the games would be illegal.

I dunno. If the target-consumers for this product get's a sudden hankering for original Major Havoc cabinets, they're going to have a hard time finding one. :P

I do find it hilarious that they are charging $200 EXTRA dollars for the "deluxe" atari cab that includes 6 games I've never heard of/seen in real life.

Kinda reminds me of the Sega Genesis plug & Play consoles that offer "80+ games!!!" and 75 of the are versions of solitaire or angry birds variants.

I do find it hilarious that they are charging $200 EXTRA dollars for the "deluxe" atari cab that includes 6 games I've never heard of/seen in real life.

Kinda reminds me of the Sega Genesis plug & Play consoles that offer "80+ games!!!" and 75 of the are versions of solitaire or angry birds variants.

Well now I wouldn't say THAT :lol: Comparing those arcade games to shovelware is a little far I think. I would think any gamer who grew up in the arcade age is pretty familiar with everything on there. :P

Well now I wouldn't say THAT :lol: Comparing those arcade games to shovelware is a little far I think. I would think any gamer who grew up in the arcade age is pretty familiar with everything on there. :P

I'm 46 and grew up in the arcades. I've never heard of either Quantum or Liberator, never mind seen cabinets for them, and though I've heard of lunar lander and Major Havoc - they weren't exactly super popular titles and I've never see a cab for either in the wild. Atari has such a deep library of games, they should have put at least a couple more popular titles in there. That stuff is shovelware.

also Centipede/millipede and asteroids/deluxe is the same problem. $500 is a lot of money for 2 versions of the same game. twice.

Edited by John Stamos Mullet

Well, $40 of that $200 is for the riser. The only two I don't recall seeing arcades are Liberator and Quantum. I don't know if my being four years older is enough to make the difference or if it was sheer luck. I even remember there being a Lunar Lander cabinet somewhere. Perhaps at the roller rink, bowling alley, or a laundromat.

I find the art to be appealing, but that's subjective. It's also cheaper than buying both the Asteroids and Centipede cabinets.

I'm 46 and grew up in the arcades. I've never heard of either Quantum or Liberator, never mind seen cabinets for them, and though I've head of lunar lander and Major HAvoc - they weren't exactly super popualr titles and I've never see a cab for either in the wild. Atari has suck a deep library of games, they should ahve put at least a couple more popular titles in there. That stuff is shovelware.

also Centipede/millipede and asteroids/deluxe is the same problem. $500 is a lot of money for 2 versions of the same game. twice.

in my lengthy analysis of the games list, i came to similar conclusions about which games are popular and which ones still hold up.

there's a lot of deep gameplay in some of the more obscure titles, however, you'd have to be willing to put in the time and effort.

the basic, well known games, are rather short and repetitive:

for most of the main headline titles.

------------------------------------------------------------------

sf2 games come to an end, but there's the ability to master each character and with hard enough ai, you can get better, 9-13 levels

centipede has deeper gameplay, but it's hard to master for most, 12 levels repeat

asteroids - simple and repetitive, after about 6 levels

rampage - unsure, since i never mastered it

galaga - pac-man - space invaders - easy to learn, and master, repetitive after about 20+ levels

strider - comes to an end

later