IGNORED

Budget Atari and Capcom arcade cabinets to see release this fall!

Given how much money local hucksters or even some legit businesses who happen to push them too get for those barcade, barrelcade, faux arcade multicade systems and how well they're scooped up around the $1000 mark or worse, there has to be a pretty solid market for something this size. Sure they may not be some 20 or 60in1 type sketchy device people overpay for, but this has a good size to it and has 4 solid licensed titles that are fan favorites vs the other 20+ in ones which are a lot of filler plus a few gems. $300 vs $1000 is kind of an easier sell.

There is a brew pub close to me that has free to play arcade games set up I could see these being Used like that as a cheap alternative to the pricey 60 In one units.

I spent a few minutes searching with various wordings trying to find information about the alleged SNES9X source code remnants in Nintendo's SNES Classic software, and got the expected results.

Not a single site seemed to have anything about this theft. If there was even a hint that Nintendo's SNES Classic operating system "borrowed" code from an old version of SNES9X, I believe it would've gained widespread attention online.

I say it didn't happen.

Edited by Atariboy

To whomever thought it funny to delete my retort but not Atariboy's original inflammatory post of deliberate misinformation, I congratulate you. You folks are more than welcome to have the forum to yourselves without fear of 'outsiders' offering any insight or knowledge.

Thanks for all the fish!

Your "retort" was not removed because we are favoring "insiders" over "outsiders" (whatever that is supposed to mean). It was removed because it was rude, condescending, and insulting. I see nothing "inflammatory" in Atariboy's post. He never said that the evidence to support your assertion is not there to be found; he simply said that he could not find it, and that he therefore does not believe the assertion. To call that "deliberate misinformation" is to suggest that he believes the opposite of what he said. Do you claim to know that? Are you a mind reader? If so, "I congratulate you." You are "more than welcome" to read minds, and to "offer insight and knowledge," somewhere else.

• Like 4

I can't decide whether I want the Centipede cab or the Joust/Defender cab first. I like all the games in both, but I thin the Centipede cab is a better selection of Golden Era games. I really don't care about Rampage, and wish that cabinet had Defender or Joust artwork instead.

That Galaga one looks sad compared to the others, though if they had put Ms. Pac-Man in there like the ones you seen now in airports and shopping malls, it would be an insta-buy, but $300 for only Galaga and Galaxian is weak sauce.

I'd prepay right friggin now for a $300 Defender/Stargate cab with proper "complicated" control panel layout..

I'm not sure how Defender would work with the Rampage controls with 3 joysticks :lol:.. my guess is they probably dumbed it down as usual with an 8-way joystick for movement.. which kind of sucks when the game gets intense.

Edited by NE146

I'm not sure how Defender would work with the Rampage controls with 3 joysticks :lol:.. my guess is they probably dumbed it down as usual with an 8-way joystick for movement.. which kind of sucks when the game gets intense.

I don't know about the joystick directions, but here's the layout:

Arcade 1up Official

@arcade_1up

2/2 We've had a lot of questions about Defender controls. Here is how each button functions, as explained on-screen. Hope this helps!

post-39941-0-42693400-1534709345_thumb.jpg

Gah.. Thrust and Fire should be right next to each other. Oh well I guess what do you expect if you're gonna squeeze 3 player Rampage along with it.

They could've just had two thrust buttons. It's not like they would have to add any hardware. Some layout differences should be expected, but I can't imagine that setup being enjoyable in the least.

Your "retort" was not removed because we are favoring "insiders" over "outsiders" (whatever that is supposed to mean). It was removed because it was rude, condescending, and insulting. I see nothing "inflammatory" in Atariboy's post. He never said that the evidence to support your assertion is not there to be found; he simply said that he could not find it, and that he therefore does not believe the assertion. To call that "deliberate misinformation" is to suggest that he believes the opposite of what he said. Do you claim to know that? Are you a mind reader? If so, "I congratulate you." You are "more than welcome" to read minds, and to "offer insight and knowledge," somewhere else.

A little "odd", in any case...to see the "removal" of a "post" without peoper "notification" ftom a "moderator"...odd indeed. The "times" seem to be " changin", it would "appear".

This is sacreligous to somebody like me, who kinda grew up slouched next to a Defender cab. Never even mind you'd need three hands to play it properly.

I get it they're trying to squeeze multiple games into these units but then you need to rethink the pairings. Defender is all about total control, you can't just randomly place some buttons around.

Yeah - I think that settles it - Centipede cab it is!

I'm still going to wait until they are out to see if there is a standard VGA port hiding in the built in screen though. If there is, I'm building a shelf in there and throwing a old laptop with full MAME on it and KVM switcher for it - then dril out a hole on the right side and throw my old HAPP joystick in.

Why not the Deluxe edition which has the spinner as well, and more games?

9649533.01.big.jpg

Nowhere to put the Joystick, and it costs $200 more for a bunch of games I don't care about.

There's only like 4 good games that use a spinner and a few hundred that use an 8 way joystick.

Edited by John Stamos Mullet

Nowhere to put the Joystick, and it costs $200 more for a bunch of games I don't care about.

There's only like 4 good games that use a spinner and a few hundred that use an 8 way joystick.

Yeah I guess.. but if the goal is a few hundred games w/ Joystick then why not just get (or build) a standard emulation cab seems less hassle than modding these pressboard ones... I dunno. Then again these things may come out nice when people get their hands on it and start changing them up.. so who knows.

Yeah I guess.. but if the goal is a few hundred games w/ Joystick then why not just get (or build) a standard emulation cab seems less hassle than modding these pressboard ones... I dunno. Then again these things may come out nice when people get their hands on it and start changing them up.. so who knows.

Those bartop ones suck, too small, and too expensive for what you get out of them.

In this case - you get a nearly Full sized cab (when buying the riser) for $340, with Trackball, and with WAY better artwork, nicer control panel, and all I have to do is a drill a single hole for the joystick, and add a KVM to a mame laptop (which I also already have.)

I don't know about the joystick directions, but here's the layout:

attachicon.gifArcade1UpDefenderControls.jpg

yes, that's not optimal.. but

1) most people can't play defender past a couple of levels anyways

2) i doubt there are any experts that are going to buy this cabinet to play

3) if you really want to, you will adjust to the controls

so, in the end, it won't make much of a difference since the vast majority of players aren't that good,

and won't know any better.

if there was some way to rewire the controls maybe, it would work better,since it might only impact

the other players controls on the other games, and not player 1.

later

Those bartop ones suck, too small, and too expensive for what you get out of them.

"suck" is obviously subjective and I would argue that like anything, some can suck, and some can be awesome, and anywhere in between.. but it seems you made up your mind already :)

yes, that's not optimal.. but

It's less than optimal.. at face value it's unusable! :lol: You can't reasonably expect to be able to adjust to thrusting while moving up/down and reversing, all with the left hand ...Which leads me to suspect as per usual, they just put in the 8-way directional control, making it all moot anyway

1) most people can't play defender past a couple of levels anyways

That has always been the case with Defender since 1981 when it was the fresh new hotness. It's a difficult game! BUT.. it's a total skill game that you can master and learning to "pilot" the ship with the original controls is very rewarding I think. Unfortunately a lot of that built-in subtlety of control is lost with the 8-way style.

Edited by NE146
  • Like 1

Gah.. Thrust and Fire should be right next to each other. Oh well I guess what do you expect if you're gonna squeeze 3 player Rampage along with it.

How are you supposed to move up and down while thrusting? Use your thumb?

???

WTF?

They could've just had two thrust buttons. It's not like they would have to add any hardware. Some layout differences should be expected, but I can't imagine that setup being enjoyable in the least.

ok, i see what everyone is thinking.

and to be a purist, yes, theres no way it's going to match up with the buttons.

but since the joystick is handling all 4 directions according to the picture, you don't have to worry about reversing, and technically thrust, depending on how they

implented it.

if you hold it in a direction, it should also thrust, that would make it easier to play.

also, it's not 'WARP' as they put it, its hyperspace, and that buttons is almost never used.

smart bomb is used, but not that often.

so in reality, you're really only using fire, directions, and smart bomb on occasion.

that's totally doable.

---

i can get around 200k on the arcade version, and MAME, and consoles slightly less. i am using a custom arcade stick at home

for the xbox 360, and that version lets you remap all the buttons along with directions.

later