IGNORED

Budget Atari and Capcom arcade cabinets to see release this fall!

Yeah everyone in this thread knows about the rubbing off CPO.. make sure you order your overlay cover.

On another note check this out.. I was checking out the display at the local Walmart and saw this little purple "Arcade Retro" thing next to it. It didn't power on, and I couldn't find any other unopened ones, so not sure what it is. Looks pretty craptacular tbh though. :lol:

post-31-0-41158400-1543041650_thumb.jpg

My Wal-Mart had a bunch of the Centipede ones in stock in the videogame section, along with some Galaga/Galaxian models up front. I was actually kind of tempted with the discounted price, but fortunately they had a Street Fighter unit to try. The buttons and sticks are a bit spongy, but overall work and feel well enough. I was impressed by the sound too, as that is something I was expecting them to skimp on. It sounds loud, clear and beefy, as a single speaker cab setup should. The monitor didn't fare as well though. The colors are a bit de-saturated and there was noticeable screen tearing when there was vertical scrolling. I would have been down with a Street Fighter model, but not being able to alter settings is a big problem for me (Super Street Fighter II Turbo for instance was defaulted to higher speed settings, with no way to slow it down). Obviously as you can see by the photo, there is a lot of wear on the panel and the left decal is already peeling. Not good.

post-24675-0-55002100-1543047688.jpg

I'm kinda curious as to what that little game beside the Centipede is.

this discussion should be moved to the 'mini arcade' thread:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/255982-mini-arcade-alert/

e1a2e881-8313-4f44-8b54-824ebcbd07a8_1.3

https://www.walmart.com/ip/My-life-as-100-game-real-working-arcade-game-with-working-joystick/695393730

Give your imaginative little one a play set item they're sure to love with this fabulous My Life As Arcade Game! Designed to perfectly compliment My Life As Dolls, this colorful, detailed and functioning retro inspired arcade game features an impressive 100 arcade games, and boasts a joystick that really works! Designed in a fun purple color in a classic arcade game style with punchy yellow buttons, this neat play set addition is sure to get often play from both your child and their dolls! Requiring only 4 AA batteries, that are provided, the My Life As Arcade Game offers an interactive and unique play set item that is sure to blend in seamlessly with your child's existing toys. Keep your child happy and occupied for hours! Be sure to collect all the vibrant My Life As Play Sets to bring your child's beloved dolls and toys to life! This arcade set is designed for children ages 5 years and up. My life as 100-game real working arcade game with working joystick

review:

"My ten year old is a huge retro game enthusiast. She loves all things video game, but especially the old classic 8-bit games. This cute arcade system has 100 basic, non branded versions of older 8-bit arcade games. Just a few we've tried are a version of snake, baseball, and a jump-man/Mario style game. It's fun, but there are no instructions, so you have to figure out the game controls on your own, much like the actual classic arcade games. It looks and feels like a tiny cabinet game. It's about a foot and a half tall. The controls are a little awkward for grown up hands"

later

Edited by negative1
  • Like 1

That peeling control panel is rather disappointing. I won't be buying one until they address that issue.

I consider that particular issue satisfactorily addressed. The clear plastic overlay is super simple to install on the control panel. I actually kind of like the way it looks too. I just wish there was a drop-in fix for the terrible spinner (they just sent me another trackball and spinner assembly of the same type).

I consider that particular issue satisfactorily addressed. The clear plastic overlay is super simple to install on the control panel. I actually kind of like the way it looks too. I just wish there was a drop-in fix for the terrible spinner (they just sent me another trackball and spinner assembly of the same type).

So they actually have a new "overlay" for the control panel artwork, that goes over it. I think its in one of the YouTube videos linked to here. This is not the clear control panel protector, instead its a replacement for the artwork. I have not seen it installed so I can't comment on it.

I am not sure why they didn't produce a vinyl graphic that could be put on it instead, and I'm also wondering how this is supposed to work or if its supposed to be used along with the control panel cover.

1Up ordered some of these for my cabs apparently, but I have not received any yet. As my Centipede has physical damage to the control panel I told them the overlay was not going to cut it so they are supposed to be back to shipping me a new CP.

it's been "addressed" in that a tiny handful of hardcore retro video game collectors on two websites that reviewed these know you can get a plastic overlay if you call their customer service and ask for one. I highly doubt they are spending penny one to proactively address the thousands they already shipped to stores with defective paint/decals that will be bought by unsuspecting dads and kids who don't know people complained about it before it was even released. Edited by John Stamos Mullet
  • Like 1

Gauntlet NOT fixed:

Installed the replacement Rampage cab PCB that is supposed to fix the level 16/31 and various sound issues. While I can confirm they fixed the level issue (I played to level 33 - my cab froze on level 16) and the sound issue for the Warrior and the Valkyrie, they have also BROKEN the sound for the Elf and the Wizard in the exact same way the Warrior and Valkyrie sound was broken on the original PCB (no sounds for insert coin, picking up treasure or food, no sound on exiting the dungeon).

So while a major issue was fixed, they simply shifted an annoying issue to another set of characters.

I would appreciate it if anyone else with the Rampage cab who has replaced the PCB can confirm the same sound issues so I know its not just me.

If 1Up has in fact fixed one issue and caused another, I have to seriously question whoever the hell they have play testing these "fixes" and seriously volunteer to do it for them.

• Like 1

Is it free or you have to buy it from them?

No doubt that's true. But I finally saw one of these in person and think it's pretty cute, especially at the $200-$250 price. The cabinet seems sturdy enough (for a toy) and the screen looks better in person than the photos and videos make it appear.

The average person is better off spending $250 on a cheap laptop for playing these games, but I'm looking forward to seeming how well this does. It's way nicer than the tiny CRT-based $400 crappy Midway "mini-arcades" from 10 years ago.

Yeah everyone in this thread knows about the rubbing off CPO.. make sure you order your overlay cover.

On another note check this out.. I was checking out the display at the local Walmart and saw this little purple "Arcade Retro" thing next to it. It didn't power on, and I couldn't find any other unopened ones, so not sure what it is. Looks pretty craptacular tbh though. :lol:

It's a Walmart toy, they have their line of knockoff American Girl dolls with a lot of accessories. What you have there is a NOAC chinese tabletop setup rebranded with its own sticker and plastic set. Now what's unique is that there are actual NES games on there, but hacked both in title and with some graphical details. The demo mode if it worked, should pull up hacked Gradius NES. If I remember right the music is tampered with too so they can avoid being sued over it.

• Like 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=9&v=F4EuidoS9Eo

A new Atari 6-1 cab with a stool, Costco exclusive. They also appear to be pre-assembled

It's a nice cab, I dig the Deluxe artwork they went with, reminds me of the prototype cab that was Asteroids Deluxe based (regular, deluxe, havok & tempest) we saw in some videos and photos.

Probably would have picked this up as opposed to the 12-in-1 had I known about it, but what are you gonna do.

Speaking of the original Deluxe cabinet, here is something weird that I found listed on "ebay.ie"

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/MINI-CABINATO-ARCADE1UP-CABINET-122-CM-ARCADE-GAME-ASTEROIDS-DELUXE-VIDEOGAME-1-/142809493756

Its the original Asteroids Deluxe cab, with the original lineup:

This cabinet includes the following games:

- Asteroids Deluxe

- Asteroids

- Tempest

- Major Havoc

s-l1600.jpg

This might be a tricky way to fix the mono sound, and mod it to

stereo on Street fighter 2:

---------------------------

https://imgur.com/gallery/MCMW6EG

from : https://www.reddit.com/r/Arcade1Up/comments/a02870/hack_original_board_not_just_replace_w_pietc/eah3h1k

UPDATE: Photos with additional details.

I picked up a SF2 last night. Before I even assembled it, I put the board under my cheap USB microscope, 
dug out the multimeter and soldering station, and found the design flaw!

The AllWinner A13 SoC supports stereo audio, but the NS4165 amplifier chip is mono. 
Traces for R & L audio end up near the amp, and are combined for the amp's mono input. 
But, the support components are only installed for the RIGHT channel. 
(C78 & R78 are for the right channel & C79 & R79 are for the left.) 
This is fine for older mono games - PacMan, Galaga, etc - but not for games with stereo sound.

The NS4165 datasheet shows it needs a 0.1uF cap and 30K resistor inline with the audio input. 
(C78 & R78). I can't measure caps this small, but R78 is exactly 30K, so it's likely C78 
follows the reference design too. 
(Things are always easier to troubleshoot/modify when real-world designs match the datasheet!)

Luckily, the traces are there for both channels. Unluckily, these are 0402-size components, 
freaking tiny - 1mmx0.5mm. I have an assortment of 0402-size caps & resistors, 
and was able to install the missing R79 & C79 successfully. I only had 27K & 33K resistors, 
so replaced both w/ 33K; audio output may be slightly lower. 

(Before installing the missing components, I temporarily moved C78/R78 to C79/R79, 
allowing me to test that the left channel (by itself) also had audio.

Both channels should now be audible, mixed to mono. I'm not a SF2 player, 
so have no idea where to listen for the "missing" sounds.

If you don't have the magician-level soldering skills needed to install 0402-size parts, here are a few other options:

Combine (short) the two signals before the existing coupling capacitor (C78): 
Bridge the input side of C78 & C79 with a solder blob, or a short piece of tiny wire ~30ga. 
The result should be the same as installing C79/R79 - R & L audio get combined and fed to the amp. 
(During my testing, I shorted the audio signals and didn't notice a difference in audio quality or volume.)

If you'd like to add an external amplifier and stereo speakers, you can pull the raw R & L audio from the traces 
that go to C78 & C79. They are small, but will be easier to solder than the audio-out pins on the main processor. 
Depending on what you do with the audio, you may need to add similar coupling capacitors in-line with your signals.
later

Edited by negative1

As someone who has the Atari Deluxe 12-1 I gotta say that Asteroids Deluxe Costco exclusive looks sweet. I like the artwork, bezel, and control panel much better. Wonder if it saves high scores for Asteroids? The 12-1 does for Asteroids Deluxe but not for Asteroids so I'm guessing this one will be the same.

I'm not a fan of pre-assembled, there's no way that would fit in my small car where as the Pac-Man box fit like a glove, but I can see the draw there.

I would also like it better had they dropped the spinner games and in their place put in a trackball and Missile Command and Marble Madness. That would rock. ;-)

Edited by Skeeter

Can I make a suggestion? Assemble it now, don't wait, then, if you really want, cover with a sheet or something and put a big bow on it till Christmas.

That's what I plan to do with Pac-Man (it was the only way the Wife would let me get another one).

As someone who has 5 cabs now, I can tell you unless you have the luck of the Irish, more than likely something will need to be replaced. With up to a six week waiting period, I wouldn't want you to have to wait for parts into next year.

(Alternatively: open the box, take pics of how everything fits, take everything out and check it, piece by piece. You can also test the monitor, game and control panel without fully assembling the cabinet as the power supply just plugs into the PCB on the back of the monitor, and the control panel connects to the PCB via an attached ribbon cable. If anything is bad, broken or damaged in any way, open a ticket with 1Up for a replacement after taking pics of the damage, then put everything back the way you found it. Now you can still unpack and assemble it on Christmas)

I could do that.. I don't want to pre-assemble it but I guess I'm open to doing a quicky test. There's just so much on the arcade1up reddit about missing / bad parts I guess I should. :lol:

Looks like the Deluxe model is available at Walmart now as well, and currently at a price of $380

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Deluxe-Edition-12-in-1-Arcade-System-with-Riser-Arcade1Up-Atari-Graphics-815221025172/827734225

Everything else is 50 bucks off including Pacman & Galaga.

Different walmarts are setting different prices for clearing out the machines.

If you're lucky, you can get some for $150, like galaga:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Arcade1Up/comments/a0is43/saw_galaga_unit_on_sale_for_150_at_walmart_in/

later

Edited by negative1

I tried my local Walmart today and they still have a good amount of Pac-Man and Galaga. I didn't count them but it looked as though they had more of Galaga so besides the one I bought maybe they sold a few more Pac-Man. But they have bumped the prices back up to $299. I was hoping to get Galaga at or below the Black Friday price of $249 and toss one in layaway.

And to complicate matters I could order one online for that $249 and choose in store pick-up but then I couldn't put it in layaway. I thought about getting a manager and showing him the online price, in hopes they would price match it. They probably would but then I thought they're going to say since it's a Black Friday price I can't use layaway anyway.

If I had the cash now it would be a different story but I'm waiting til later in the week when my once a month fixed income is fixed. If I can find a Galaga then for $249 or less, it's mine.

Edited by Skeeter