IGNORED

STUNT CAR RACER?

Irgendwer

Hi Heaven,

Is that the xex from this thread?

me was refering on that exe here where it was "hacked" to run on 65816... where I am concerned that this "unofficial" "hack" will be on DL portals.

As it#s untested etc... and when looking at the youtube videos... the laptime e.g. works? as it's tied to frame rate etc? and there might be other side effects...

Edited by Heaven/TQA

Spectacular work gents - Very polished and an instant hit/classic for the 8bit. Whats next, Need for Speed :)

Seems, conversions have been to create easier than new special software for the Atari.

Even Lucasfilm Games did it that way , by just scaling the available software down to fit to the hardware specs. of the small 8 bit.

A Test Drive with playable framerates would be fun enough.

Seems, conversions have been to create easier than new special software for the Atari.

Even Lucasfilm Games did it that way , by just scaling the available software down to fit to the hardware specs. of the small 8 bit.

A Test Drive with playable framerates would be fun enough.

- Yeah, Test Drive is only filling about 40% of the screen with the 3D world (the rest is cockpit+HUD), so the fillrate cost would be minimal.

- Plus, unlike StuntCarRacer, TestDrive's 3D space is very limited (far from the generic 3D meshes of SRC)

- it also appears to be constantly repeating same few identical segments (straight, 2-3 bumps, 2-3 versions of curves), so a lot can be actually precomputed and just pre-stored at loading-time without imposing a run-time computation cost

- at the very least, 25-33% higher framerate than StuntCarRacer is easily achievable during most of the driving - e.g. without opponents (which will, understandably, for those few frames, bring the framerate down accordingly)

Gotta way.....AMAZING WORK !!!! Loved SCR on the ST and never even knew there was a C64 version.

.....and great to see it runs better on the A8 :)

I never understood the hype about Test Drive. It had pretty pictures of fast cars but the "game" ......seriously....it felt like 1 or 2 frames per second....the grapihics were lousy on any system and IMHO it was Unplayable.

Let's do a conversion of Vrooom !!! Now THAT is a Racing game.....IMHO I never played any joystick controlled Racing game that was better....

• Like 1

Again I would like to thank Fandal and Irgendwer for their absolutely fabulous conversion. Had a lot of fun with the game so far. It really gives such a special feeling when you jump and fly through the air to land on the platform eventually.

Thank you!

Edited by ProWizard
  • Like 2

I never understood the hype about Test Drive. It had pretty pictures of fast cars but the "game" ......seriously....it felt like 1 or 2 frames per second....the grapihics were lousy on any system and IMHO it was Unplayable.

When Test Drive was new, it was kind of a novel concept and something we could show off on our shiny new 16-bits.

But yeah.. it definitely did not hold up.

Yes - this Stunt Car Racer conversion is truly excellent - something you did not expect to see done at all - especially at this very late date.

Are there any candidates for what this team would work on next? If they were inclined to do so?

My suggestion would be Sentinel?

Harvey

Sentinel = Good call (as another Geoff Crammond title, I've also done a bit of the BBC title 'Aviator')

A good portion of The Sentinel is done but the hurdle is that the way the scrolling is done on the C64 needs to be reworked for the A8.

So an open offer to anyone who'd like to team up to get this past the finish post, PM me.

https://youtu.be/4At1s8UAjD8

• Like 9

My suggestion would be Sentinel?

One of those "missing links" :)

But I'd still prefer Test Drive. The Atari could do that game in Turbo Basic showing more than 3 fps ;)

If it only was possible, to get coders doing such games from scratch and to optimize the graphical presentation for the A8. The parts for controls, game logics and so on, should be usable from the C64 game.

Actually, the game could even do well using hires.

• Like 2

I'm one of the rare Amiga SCR players, always enjoyed it..

Sentinel I tried and like you never really understood the fuss it got, I put it down to anything that was 3D was going to get good reviews because it was the new 'in thing', the author obviously raised its profile but I was bored by it, mind you I'm not really a strategy person.

But having it on the 8bit would be a lovely proof that there's great coders out there and the Atari 8 bit was undervalued by some people, SCR proves a huge point.

I briefly loaded and looked at Sentinel when I had an ST. As I recall, it wasn't a fast action game that would need high fps to be good on the 8-bit, so for that reason it might be a good choice to port. But as you guys said, after checking it out it really didn't interest me. Maybe that would change due to amazement of seeing it on the A8. But Test Drive was already my next suggestion. I know the A8 can do it better than the C64, and it would possibly be another fantastic game for those with Rapidus.

What is the history of the original SCR and Test Drive? I always thought that both were done first on one or both of the 16-bit systems Amiga and ST, and then ported to the C64. Or was the C64 actually the first? They certainly seem to be next-gen games that would have been natural to attempt on newer tech first. Or where they all developed about the same time?

Some quick research didn't bring much enlightenment, some wiki articles on games have plenty of background info but not in this case.

My memory of it was that the C64 version of Test Drive was first though by 1987 it was becoming common for simultaneous development and release of such games.

By 1989 when SCR was released most 8-bit systems were lucky to get a version of a new game so I would guess it was probably a parallel release for that game.

• Like 1

When Test Drive was new, it was kind of a novel concept and something we could show off on our shiny new 16-bits.

But yeah.. it definitely did not hold up.

While rewatching YT vids on TestDrive across all platforms, I realized 3 things could greatly enhance the gameplay:

1. Framerate -that one's obvious (in itself)- but more importantly better framerate would actually allow for these two additional features:

2. Driving off the cliff - it's such a waste of game design that you're constantly driving along the cliff edge and can't fall off. Of course, game over in that case.

3. Weather - making your car prone to loose traction and harder to keep on the road. From physics implementation standpoint, it's just a different constant in the driving equation, so performance cost of computation is the same (per frame).

• Like 2

2. Driving off the cliff - it's such a waste of game design that you're constantly driving along the cliff edge and can't fall off. Of course, game over in that case.

+1 for driving off the cliff. The more horrific, the better. :D It's the first thing that came to my mind too.

You could probably consider it a desirable feature of Out Run to get bashed around a bit when you screw up enough.

• Like 1

The car pictures of Test Drive (converted with G2F) are already available at atarionline and the G2F webpage (pics 163-167), so 1% of the job is already done... ;-)

But maybe we should start a new topic about Test Drive and not derail this topic much further ?!?

Edited by CharlieChaplin
  • Like 1