IGNORED

C64 to PC cable?

I made one myself, and it worked pretty well. The transfers were always fairly slow though. My brother ended up modifying some of the 1541's we have so that they have a parallel connector on them... using this parallel connector, you can copy things a LOT faster.

The one I built was the X1541 cable, but there's a number of others that you can make (XA1541, XE1541, and the XM1541). If you're new at making cables, the X1541 is probably the easiest to make, since you don't need any diodes or anything... all you have to do is cut open a parallel printer cable and a C64 serial cable and splice them together (This is what I did). Everything else requires extra pieces, but has greater abilities. For example, I think you need to have your parallel port in SPP mode to use the X1541 cable, and I don't think you can use it in Windows, since it requires very precise timing that Windows can't do. The XM1541 cable is harder to build, but I think you can use it safely in any parallel port mode, and from within Windows.

In any case, you'll probably want to look through this page for more information. There's also links there on where to buy these cables premade.

Anyways, they work really well, and I'm glad I built one. I've made many disks from .d64 images. Plus, I was able to use the same cable to hook the C64 itself up to a computer, and run a program on the PC that would act as a server for the C64. By doing this, I could access the PC's hard drive from the C64 as if it was a regular disk drive. It was pretty sweet except that the computer had a dead CMOS battery, so it constantly forgot it's bios settings unless I left it turned on the whole time.

--Zero

How hard is it to make .d64 images if the disks have a lot of copyright protection (intentionally bad blocks or sectors, et cetera)? I'd love to back up all my old Commodore software before bit-rot gets it all.

How hard is it to make .d64 images if the disks have a lot of copyright protection (intentionally bad blocks or sectors, et cetera)?  I'd love to back up all my old Commodore software before bit-rot gets it all.

I haven't personally done this but I'm very sure that 99.5% of all C64 games and programs have been already dumped onto the internet, so you can just start backing them up for posterity.

How hard is it to make .d64 images if the disks have a lot of copyright protection?

Generally, it's not possible. There's a LOT of goofy tricks that are used in copy protection on the C64, and most of them can't be properly done on a .d64 image. Some games do things like reading "half-tracks" where there isn't supposed to be any information at all. And I'm fairly sure that .d64's can't hold error information that protection schemes use very often.

However, there IS a format that can handle this. It's called a .g64 file, and it's basically a straight dump of the GCR formatting of the disk. There's a program called mnib that can be used to make these images, and I believe that some emulators (VICE comes to mind) support them. From reading the mnib homepage though, it doesn't look like you can transfer a .g64 image back onto an actual disk, so it won't work that well for backup purposes.

Of course, if you look around, you can probably find cracked copies of pretty much any C64 game. My brother used to do a lot of stuff with mnib because he was disappointed with the slow load times on cracked games, since they usually had to hack out the speed loaders in the process of removing copy protection.

--Zero

You can also create G64 from using a program called 6PAK on the C64 to make 6 image files of a C64 disc side. You can then transfer over these images to the PC and use a program there called S2G to turn these into an G64. This method has more success than normal d64 conversion, but less success than the MNIB route.

This all sounds incredible time-consuming and PITA to do anyway, so I think I'll say bugger to the whole thing. If my disks rot, they rot. The only ones I'd regret losing is all the games I hand-typed in from Ahoy! and Compute's Gazette (I had about 200-300 on two different disks).

Well, type-in games have no copy protection, so making .d64's out of them should be no problem at all.

As for stuff like California Games and any others, if they die, just download a cracked version off the net, and make yourself a new disk.

--Zero

Yes, but here's my point - this seems cost prohibitive; ordering parts and making a cable just to back up two disks full of games I typed in. I'd actually rather send the disks to an AA user I could trust, if they'd be willing to make the .d64 files and send them to me, at which point they could keep the disks anyway. I'd even trade a loose Atari game for the time and effort. :D

I'll be making one of these soon for my C128 and using the server software with the PC too! Just like my Atari and SIO2PC/10502PC cable and A.P.E software! :D

Yes, but here's my point - this seems cost prohibitive; ordering parts and making a cable just to back up two disks full of games I typed in.  I'd actually rather send the disks to an AA user I could trust, if they'd be willing to make the .d64 files and send them to me, at which point they could keep the disks anyway.  I'd even trade a loose Atari game for the time and effort. :D

Well I don't have a problem doing this... I have my StarCom PC (aka the mighty 486) connected up to the same monitor this PC is connected to. Great things, digital and analog connections ;)

PM me if you want to arrange anything...

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think that's the same thing... the cables we're talking about generally connect to the parallel port of a computer, and to the serial port of the C64 or 1541, not the user port.

Not sure what your cord is meant for though... maybe for connecting printers or something?

--Zero

Archived