IGNORED

TI and the MiniPro TL866 EPROM Programmer

atrax27407

1 hour ago, dhe said:

Did you try replacing it @FarmerPotato ?

I didn't try til now.  I feel like it should last longer with such light use.  I doubt that it is ideal to put .025" header pins into ZIF.

It pops out. A machine socket underneath.  The adapters with the common 0.025" breakable header can't plug in directly.

Pluggable pins would be 0.018" solder tails. (and they might cost 10 cents each?)

Mostly what I want is PLCC-28 and PLCC-32 now.  I wonder if I will make some in the future.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FarmerPotato said:

I didn't try til now.  I feel like it should last longer with such light use.  I doubt that it is ideal to put .025" header pins into ZIF.

It pops out. A machine socket underneath.  The adapters with the common 0.025" breakable header can't plug in directly.

Pluggable pins would be 0.018" solder tails. (and they might cost 10 cents each?)

Mostly what I want is PLCC-28 and PLCC-32 now.  I wonder if I will make some in the future.

About the only adapters I've seen with nice pins for insertion into machine sockets are the ones from Aries. I have several different sizes of them that I use regularly. They also seem to be a bit more robust than the others when it comes to the blades that hold the chips to be programmed in place.

• 1 month later...

I need to get a programmer, one thing i am missing, and i been looking on amazon canada, that my best solution for shipping costs, and afforably, and return policy with prime, i came across this two:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07QL1YRT7

https://www.amazon.ca/Programmer-Universal-Adapter-TL866II-EEPROM/dp/B07WS7FLVJ

They are both Minipro TL866II+ with 10 adapters, one is for $116.14 CAD and the other $108.66

Is either one a good purchase? And if no, where is better for Canadians? and what else do I need besides a good old uv light to erase eproms and of course a stock of chips to program with!

Can these also be used to program the chips for the UberGROM? as i have a few bare boards of those now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, atrax27407 said:

The TL866II will only do up to 18V chips - which eliminates its use for 21V and 25V chips.

so no good for the older 27 eproms then as some are 21v and 25v - What about the T48 still the same, or only the T56 will handle it. -- just too bad the T56 doesn't come with many adapters, which brings up the cost even more.

Well, I decided to grab this one from Amazon, only $200 CAD plus "import fees" of $27.12 so not too bad, its not the T56 but its the T48 with 19 adapters and claims it will handle the 25V levels, and with business prime i can always return it if it does not work out, it will be here by Friday. And on my normal amazon, i grabbed a uv eraser for $35 CAD so that not bad, it will be here tomorrow. now i just need to get some blank chips as well, plus the parts needed to use the ubergrom boards i have, but i do have some plain rom only cartridge boards thanks to @Tursi so once i can find some 27512 eproms i will be able to use them as well.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07DHTC44J

image.thumb.png.9a64066d63e47df9f83af6b12817d5d0.png

image.thumb.png.c8678248e767df0f0051a80e128047c0.png

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07TM3KMZ2

Edited by Gary from OPA
added links to the uv eraser

1 hour ago, FarmerPotato said:

@Gary from OPA Try Winbond 27C257 EEPROM types: no UV eraser needed. They are common on eBay. That's a 64Kbyte chip, but still 28 pins. I use the big sizes. 

thanks i got the uv eraser as i have some old chips, DSR mainly i want to update or change. but i will check out the 27C257 see if i can find a canadian source as ebay customs and shipping is crazy. I also need to track down a canadian source for the parts needed to finish off this blank ubergrom boards i have as well.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Has anyone tried installing V12.66 in a WinXP system?  The software loads, but bombs at the USB driver installation.

The PDF file at www.xgecu.com says it works on XP.  Forgot to mention, this is for the T48.

K-R.

Edited by Kchula-Rrit

• 3 weeks later...

This all got me interested, as did trying to get my old programmer back online with new software and finding a lot of it dubious at best.

I needed the T56 for the 16 bit EPROMs, and ultimately I found the official XGecu store (on Shopify...) I was a little uncertain, but the T56 there was $140 without adapters vs the nearly $300 on Amazon, so I went for it. It arrived today, SEEMS to be legit, and seems to work!

https://xgecu.myshopify.com/collections/xgecu-t56-programmer

• Like 3