IGNORED

Stella 5.1 not working

manicminer2068

Hi Everybody... first time here

I´ve installed Stella V5.1.1... on double click the UI opens ok, but when i click on a game to play it, i get a black screen with only the windows mouse pointer and nothing more. Plus, Windows hangs and the only thing i can do is to turn off the computer (with the power button, not via software)

I´m running it with:

-IBM Lenovo ThinkCentre M55e

-Pentium Dual E2140 @1.60GHz 800MHz

-Intel® 946G2 Express Chipset Family (the onboard default)

-Windows 7 Ultimate, with a fresh new instalation

Thanks in advance, and just in case excuse my english

My buddy had issues exactly like that, it was related to the Graphics API. OpenGL, DirectX.. Or Software. Try reading the docs to learn how to select one of those manually. Try Software or OpenGL.

Stella can and does lock hard when going from OpenGL to DirectX on some rigs.

Edited by Keatah

My buddy had issues exactly like that, it was related to the Graphics API. OpenGL, DirectX.. Or Software. Try reading the docs to learn how to select one of those manually. Try Software or OpenGL.

Stella can and does lock hard when going from OpenGL to DirectX on some rigs.

I guess i've tried both OpenGL and Software.... the same pc lock with the same violence... practically i have to unplug the power cord

Tried older versions of Stella, even 3.2.1 that i've been using in Win XP... and it hangs too.... not with the black screen, but it hangs completely the PC

AFAIK i have the latest driver... at least the one that Win Update gave to me. I have 1gb of ram

1GB of ram with part of it allocated to the graphics adapter might not be enough for Windows 7 and Stella. In Control Panel >Display > Screen Resolution > Advanced what does it say for "dedicated video memory"? In Control Panel > System what does it say for "installed RAM"? It's probably a good idea to upgrade your computer to 4GB ram anyway.

Edited by mr_me

1GB of ram with part of it allocated to the graphics adapter might not be enough for Windows 7 and Stella. In Control Panel >Display > Screen Resolution > Advanced what does it say for "dedicated video memory"? In Control Panel > System what does it say for "installed RAM"? It's probably a good idea to upgrade your computer to 4GB ram anyway.

Putting money into the computer is not an option by now. In fact, this computer was a gift of a friend.

Maybe i´ll go back to Win Xp if Stella needs so much food in Win 7

The most your integrated graphics will use is 256MB UMA. The proper way to control it is by using the intel control panel. In the 3D options there should be a short list of things to change. IIRC, the panel has Low, Normal, High, for the memory usage. The control panel is usually a little monitor that sits next to the clock on the bottom.

On my Panasonic Toughbook, I can get stella to start with a blank screen by setting the usage to low. Normal or high and it works fine.

The most your integrated graphics will use is 256MB UMA. The proper way to control it is by using the intel control panel. In the 3D options there should be a short list of things to change. IIRC, the panel has Low, Normal, High, for the memory usage. The control panel is usually a little monitor that sits next to the clock on the bottom.

On my Panasonic Toughbook, I can get stella to start with a blank screen by setting the usage to low. Normal or high and it works fine.

Found it, and set to High (all this time it was set to normal)... but i get the same result ... and the trial-error is killing me. A shame that i don´t know where to hang some screen captures to show if i´m at the righ places (if the forum allow me, of course)

But anyway.... I guess there´ll be no more Stella love for me. I will evaluate returning to Win Xp

Normal is what I've been doing for years. Turn off the compressions. Set what ever else you can to 24bit and/or 32bit. Flipping and buffering won't make it work or fail I don't think. So whatever.

Use the more reply options to attach screenies. Use the advanced uploader to post more than one in one go.