IGNORED

Street Fighter II, Gameboy and arcade fighting

Tanooki

I was just tinkering around a bit with the everdrive and for some reason after playing some Pop'n Twinbee I rolled by Street Fighter II. I forgot just how fun (even with 3 fighters removed) how fun that game is despite the hardware limits. Not the most frames of animation for sure, but workable. Large sprites with solid detail, much of the non-animated stage visuals intact too. All in all a fun little game which surprisingly isn't missing all that much nor is it as bad as various other conversions of the game too to the 8bit market.

I wonder if there is some history about it out there to read up on. I used to be curious why they made certain cuts. Capcom being just Capcom (cheap) and fitting what they could, or maybe more. I'm sure it had an interesting development cycle wedging that game into the space.

In contrast you have the stunning 'chibi art' style works from Takara of hot stuff SNK games especially Samurai Spirits(shodown) 1 and 3 among others. Those removed no one, fluid play, just used goofy graphics to pull it off in style.

Being a hardcore game fan who played everything and not a "normal" or casual gamer, I really aporeciated what was done with the port.

But by the time it came out, I had already been playing SFII' on my TurboExpress for a couple years and the Sega Nomad hit at the same time, with SSFII available for $10 in large quantities everywhere you went.

I remember having this as one of my first Game Boy games... Boy did I suck at it!

Still not much better, but I remember it pretty well and being a pretty good game despite the Game Boy limitation.

Impressive what developers could seemingly do back then within their limitations when it seems now your best bet with a port is that it's riddled with issues. *looks at modern PC ports of multiple games*

The only value of the old MK game on Gameboy was that the sweat due to the darkness of it looked more like blood making it seem gorier than the SNES version. Had they actually made the controls not sloppy and changed all the known move motions around away from the arcade it would have been decent.

SF2 just amazes me given what all they pulled off in that 4mbit cart space. Some was taken by the unique setup for SuperGB where each character had a changed up border on your SNES that matched the SNES game stage backaround around the GB screen area which was kind of cool. Games typically just had one border and that's it, so that ate up room. I doubt that caused them to exclude the other fighters. Vega(US name) wouldn't have been much of a problem, but I'm thinking the size of E Honda and his hand slap along with Dhalsim and all that stretching maybe was a bit much. It would be nice to know but you'd probably have to find the original developer for the game if they'd be willing to talk as I couldn't find any reason using google before posting that.

What is even the button mapping of SFII on the GB? I mean, really doesn't sound great to not even have different punches and kicks...

I don't recall 100% as I don't have the manual, but it's time sensitive. I think you lose the medium punch/kick entirely, and you tap it fast for a light punch/kick for B/A button, and if you press to hold that's your hard punch/kick on the same. It actually works quite well and Takara did the same with all the Neo Geo conversions. The games (none) suffer for it.

I've never played the GB SFII port, but holy hell is the Samurai Showdown port AWESOME!!! I've had it since it was new, and it's shockingly great. Not only does it have all the characters, it even has some hidden ones as well! I am pretty sure Amakusa is in it, and the judge guy too. Very cool game.

My suggestion to you since it's cheap and easy to get, get Samurai Spirits 3, it blows it away as they upped the quality, larger set of characters as all from SS3 are represented with (like SS1) hidden stuff too. The game has (though you can't read it) the story mode comments around each fight, and it even has audio samples of some chatter in the close out part as well as that winning taunt of sorts. Easily the best of the Neo Geo conversions, Takara's finest outside of the GBC release of Transformers Beast Wars. That one only because each has their robot and beast modes so all player moves/styles are doubled by 2 adding a wide base of variety.