IGNORED

Not my Atari VCS (that console formerly known as Ataribox)

Tidus79001

Reuse of the name Atari VCS for the upcoming console formerly know at Ataribox  

98 members have voted

1. 1. Reusing the name Atari VCS is a misappropriation of the name & leagacy of the original conosle

2. 2. The name Atari VCS for the new console formely known as Ataribox is an appropriate tribute honoring the lagacy of the original console

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

I mean, you moaners didn't have a problem with NES mini or SNES mini, so what's the problem with Atari VCS? You're just a bunch of moaners.

And no, before you guys trying to defend this Nintendo shit, it is TOTALLY the same.

Nintendo Classic Mini, and Super Nintendo Entertainment System: Classic Edition are not not reusing the original names, hence the "mini",or "classic edition" part added onto the name. Taking the name Atari VCS, and putting it on a new console is directly an attempt at attaching itself to the legacy of the original console that it has no part of. The new console is not just a flashback type device, but supposed to be its own product with unique new games & feature, so therefore it should have its own name, Ataribox, or Atari VCS 2, and not try to rob the original of its legacy by misappropriating the name Atari VCS for its own gain.

Edited by Tidus79001
  • Like 6

Apparently pirates feel concern for the lagacy (or is it "leagacy"?) of Atari too. The things you learn!

I know my typos are atrocious looking. Not sure why the auto correct didn't flag them when I typed this originally. Usually I don't have such mistakes in what I post.

I know my typos are atrocious looking. Not sure why the auto correct didn't flag them when I typed this originally. Usually I don't have such mistakes in what I post.

And I'm not usually such a dick about pointing out typos, so my apologies to you. I have been in a bad mood the last few days but that doesn't give me an excuse to take it out on random folks online.

• Like 3

I don't feel too strongly about it either way. It's definitely a better name than "Ataribox," at any rate. And there will really only be one true Atari VCS, which no one will mistake this for, so I think of it as more of a tribute than anything, albeit a somewhat lazy one. It's whatever. Actually, it's not anything at all until the thing actually comes out. ;)

Who knows, maybe it will generate more interest in the real, original Atari VCS again (assuming it ever actually comes out), which could finally lead to stuff like cart-based 2600 clone systems and such (how's that Retron77 coming along, Hyperkin?...)?

• Like 1

I dunno it was always just atari until the 5200 came out then there was a reason to distinguish it, the stupid box it comes in says VIDEO COMPUTER SYSTEM by ATARI, or later on ATARI VIDEO COMPUTER SYSTEM, there's not even an attempt to make an acronym out of it

"Atari VCS" was widely used back in the day. When the 5200 came out, that's when everyone started calling it the 2600

• Like 1

I mean, you moaners didn't have a problem with NES mini or SNES mini, so what's the problem with Atari VCS? You're just a bunch of moaners.

And no, before you guys trying to defend this Nintendo shit, it is TOTALLY the same.

This isn't a mini, it would be different if it was.

It's supposed to be a brand new console.

• Like 2

This isn't a mini, it would be different if it was.

It's supposed to be a brand new console.

To be fair, Im not sure if anyone knows what its SUPPOSED to be, least of all Atari.

I get the distinct impression that Atari is trying to figure out what group of people will pay $300 for this thing, and will then design it to be what those people want. They dont yet have a target market, so their concept is still far more fluid that it should be at this stage.

• Like 7

food for thought: when the nes was first put on display at ces 1984, it had the name avs (advance video system) and ran famicom carts because that's what nintendo had on hand. they were in talks with atari at the time to handle distribution in the us. deals ultimately fell through and nitendo released the radically redesigned nintendo entertainment system the following year to great success. fast forward 30 years and retrousb celebrates the legacy of the avs prototype by releasing the first ever fpga nes clone, the avs, narrowly beating the ntmini to market by a few months. this is how you pay homage to an legacy brand. not by using a beloved title for a chunk of vapourware that may or may not ever see the light of day... :razz:

• Like 3

it's a terrible disservice. other thoughts: the poll basically askes the same thing twice but with inverted response.

They wanted to make sure we are sure.

We called it the Atari. Actually never said 2600 till I got a jr. As there was never any other except in the flyers you get when buying games. Then I thought wow I got to watch out for these other 5200 7800 games so I don't buy the wrong ones for my 2600. I never had that chance as the only games ever seen in stores were 2600.

• Like 2