IGNORED

Nintendo Ruined Video Games

I've got a PS4, but I'm not buying games on it at all and own none, so it would be Steam.

There is a deal going right now either fanatical or green man, but it has a 25% off preorder price for it. Knowing how insufferably tight fisted and annoying S-E can be about sales, it probably won't see a cut like that for 6-12mo easy. I'm trying to decide if I should or not because the Switch could happen and I'd rather have a mobile RPG but PC being on it as much as I am is a comfortable second.

Of that list, I don't see how anyone could argue that America's movies aren't the world's best. While there are many great foreign films, Hollywood just dominates. I'll give you beer though. I strongly prefer the rest of the world over our beers. :)

Obviously you haven't sampled our thousands of craft brews if you believe this. If you only drink the stuff they serve at ballparks, then yes.

• Like 1

I've sampled lots of our "craft" beers, and without a tinge of hipster irony, I gotta say I'm usually less than impressed. A great many of them exist just to have a place for a novelty name or label. Lots are just plain offensive. People putting fruit, herbs and shit in them should be deported on merit. On rare occasions have I found a really good beer, but it does happen. I live in one of those hipster towns where every other storefront is a microbrewery. While everybody's entitled to their opinion, it sure seems like the enthusiasts just like to have something to talk about with all the different beers. None of the folks that carry on about them really seem knowledgeable or have much to say really. Craft brews are a crapshoot. Even a blind squirrel gets a nut once in a while.

• Like 2

People putting fruit, herbs and shit in them should be deported on merit.

I respectfully disagree. German purity laws are a thing of the past, and for good reason. As a wine drinker as well, I kind of enjoy a beer now and then with winey notes. I also enjoy black coffee, and to my delight there are even brews made with coffee beans added to the malts. Great Raft makes one called "creature of habit," 8% abv.

My main gripe with the microbrewery culture is the battle to make make the strongest ipa. I do enjoy a good ipa now and then, but it seems every other brewery is trying to use oneupmanship to put out the strongest ipa they can possibly create. Stop that. It gets old visiting my local brewery to find half a dozen ipas on offer. Try to invent something else already...

• Like 1

My main gripe with the microbrewery culture is the battle to make make the strongest ipa. I do enjoy a good ipa now and then, but it seems every other brewery is trying to use oneupmanship to put out the strongest ipa they can possibly create. Stop that. It gets old visiting my local brewery to find half a dozen ipas on offer. Try to invent something else already...

Sorry had to. :)

post-48371-0-91271400-1535635186.jpg

• Like 2

Craft beer nerds aren't hipsters, you guys.

Hipsters are anorexic kids who dress in 80's clothes sarcastically/ironically, who ride fixed gear bicycles to work, and who just generally do whatever they think will be most annoying or contrary to the rest of society in order to attract attention to themselves, so they can then complain about people being mean to them.

Craft Beer Nerds are just tubby failed jocks with smelly Osama Bin Laden beards who choose home brewing kits instead of Street Hockey nets.

IPAs taste like soapy dishwater garnished with oxidized pennies.

Edited by John Stamos Mullet
  • Like 3

Of that list, I don't see how anyone could argue that America's movies aren't the world's best. While there are many great foreign films, Hollywood just dominates. I'll give you beer though. I strongly prefer the rest of the world over our beers. :)

They are just the highest budgeted, marketed and so they make the most money. So many Hollywood movies are just designed from a template. Sometimes they produce great films, but I wouldn't call the vast majority of their output the best.

Craft Beer Nerds are just tubby failed jocks with smelly Osama Bin Laden beards...

...IPAs taste like soapy dishwater garnished with oxidized pennies.

If you got that big gut from highly caloric craft beer you aren’t fat, you’re cool. And it just means you need to buy XXXL T-shirts and extra baggy ‘shants’, which in turn enhances your craft beer nerd street cred. So it’s win win!

[emoji23]

Sent from my Keyboard Component using Jack's Conversational Intelli-talk cassette

• Like 3

Hipsters are anorexic kids who dress in 80's clothes sarcastically/ironically, who ride fixed gear bicycles to work, and who just generally do whatever they think will be most annoying or contrary to the rest of society in order to attract attention to themselves, so they can then complain about people being mean to them.

Do hipsters still drink Pabst Blue Ribbon ironically, or is that too mainstream now?

• Like 1

As for the topic of the thread:

I don't think the big N ruined video games, but I also don't think they saved them either. I think they exploited a weakness in the market, by strong arming 3rd party development houses into questionable exclusivity agreements, making it much easier on themselves to deliver a mostly shoddy product to an unknowing market sector, and drowned out their competition in Atari and Sega with copious over-marketing and intentionally deceitful ad campaigns - and forced their competition into a near complete lack of 3rd party development support.

They were a bit like Gordon Gecko. They bought into the market when it was low, treated their employees like shit, and forced everyone else out of the market through unsavory tactics. And they covered it all up with a mask of cutesy mushroom and cartoon themed syrupy kidsy themed force-fed "product".

Edited by John Stamos Mullet
  • Like 1

Us consumers continuing to pay companies with bad corporate behavior ruins video games. If any company can get away with draconian DRM and suing customers they will.

More of a Worldwide issue then blame US consumers, as really Japan allowed Nintendo policies in the first place.

Zima....oh I remember that. They used to treat anal warts with that stuff, before it was cool of course.

Sadly I missed getting to try Zima all together. It was on the market when I was old enough to drink, but I didn't start drinking beer until a few years later. It's gone now, so no loss. If I wanted a Lemon Lime cooler, vodka and Sprite Zero does the trick. :P

I'm paraphrasing Obi Wan, but any side is the truth, from a certain point of view.

I think Nintendo was in the right place at the right time to capitalize on the foibles of the Western video game market- and they marketed aggressively.

The flip side is that because of this the market didn't really have a chance to even itself out- the chance was always there that folks would've shifted away from console gaming to computer gaming with more focus, but who knows?

So maybe it's a Schrodinger type of situation- Nintendo simultaneously ruined and resurrected console gaming as we know it.

• Like 1

Sadly I missed getting to try Zima all together. It was on the market when I was old enough to drink, but I didn't start drinking beer until a few years later. It's gone now, so no loss. If I wanted a Lemon Lime cooler, vodka and Sprite Zero does the trick. :P

well imagine that with a very strong malt liquor and artificial sweetener flavor

I don't even think it was lemon-lime flavored. It was more like alcoholic seltzer water

My issue is that many people spread false claims about when and where Nintendo did things, what they introduced or revolutionized, what games had what impact, and there were times people were paid off. My bigger issue is Nintendo KNEW this, but let it happen for personal gain and this has resulted in a base Nintendo will never have access to and will always only be on the competition or PC's.

Remember these: "Nes came out in 1985 with SMB sold millions saved the industry, Segajoined, NES sold 5766 million in less than two years, so Atari put out 7800 because video games were back"

"Atari and co were 4-bit systems and are2nd gen. What ColecoVision? Put that second gen to, also 4-bit machine."

"Without Nintendo scrolling games would never be made."

"All Atari and old computers had were arcade games, Nintendo had real games(proceeds to name double dragon as not an arcade game???"

"Nes introduced scrolling to consoles"

"No retailers carried games before NES."

"We would not be playing games without NES"

"Nes introduced the game genres we know today."

"Nes was first controller with two buttons giving a range of options.

"Super Nintendo Mode 7 was the first time we got Sprite scalling."

"Super Nintendo Starfox is the first 3D game.

"SNES Star Fox is the first successful 3D game."

"N64 has an analogue stick."

"Real 3D games started with N64"

"Without Mario 64 no one would know how to do 3D"

"Mario 64 Is the first 3D platformer"

"Mario 64 is 3D Crash bandicoot is not 3D"

"Zelda oot introduced a lock-on system in games."

"Without GoldenEye Quake/half-life/Halo wouldn't exist."

"GoldenEye is the first fps where you can shoot an enemy at different parts of their body."

Etc etc etc.

All quotes are real and have been said throughout the years, and also currently. They knew this, and led a cult revise history for a loong tome. But we are way better in 2018 than in 2001.

As for "saving the industry" and giving them"some" credit I don't agree. I think anyone who tried could have closed the vacuum. If Atari sold 1 million 2600's in 1985 with no advertising, a console that at that point came out almost 10 years prior with primitive graphics, anybody could have came in. Heck if the 7800 came out in 85 I think things would have been vastly different.

• Like 1