IGNORED

TIPI's Chess program!

Omega-TI

Thanks for posting about this Omega. I need to add some more features, which I plan on doing this week during my copious spare time :) Right now there's no way to concede checkmate or forfeit, so I guess I better hurry up since people are playing it now :)

The browser version didn't get much action, but I think TIPI will be far more widespread than people with serial interfaces, UDS-10s, and infinite patience.

• Like 2

Thanks for posting about this Omega. I need to add some more features, which I plan on doing this week during my copious spare time icon_smile.gif Right now there's no way to concede checkmate or forfeit, so I guess I better hurry up since people are playing it now icon_smile.gif

The browser version didn't get much action, but I think TIPI will be far more widespread than people with serial interfaces, UDS-10s, and infinite patience.

agreed, compaired to the uds 10 interface TIPIchess is lightspeed!

• Like 3

Not having played the game, if the chess pieces during the moves were sprites (magnified maybe), it may be interesting to see the move when it takes place. Too many pieces to have all the pieces sprites, so I think it would only work during the actual movement of the piece. Maybe a chat window on the side if both players are online at the same time.

Just ideas........

Beery

• Like 3

Not having played the game, if the chess pieces during the moves were sprites (magnified maybe), it may be interesting to see the move when it takes place. Too many pieces to have all the pieces sprites, so I think it would only work during the actual movement of the piece. Maybe a chat window on the side if both players are online at the same time.

Just ideas........

Beery

The endgame is to have the chatTI integrate with games so you can start in chat jump to games and return to chat.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Just ideas........

Beery

Thanks for the feedback Beery. There are definitely too many sprites to simultaneously define, but I thought about just creating one sprite on the fly just when it's time to move a piece, place it on the FROM spot after blanking it out, move the sprite to its new location, kill the sprite and re-draw the piece with its original characters. It'd give the illusion of moving pieces. I mentioned this to JediM@ and he said this was a common trick, and it does seem pretty obvious :)

I did make some good progress last night with allowing for matches to end, either in Checkmate, draw, or a stalemate - just like the web version. I endeavor to have it ready for FestWest.

~~

Greg is right - I want to be able to bounce around between programs using the same login session on MYTI99.com. This should be easy since the way I keep track of users and who's who on the back-end is by creating a unique session_id upon login, which is then stored as a global and persistent variable locally on your TIPI. This session_id survives reboots (just like a browser cookie) that can then be read by any program, so it's quite easy to do things like this.

MYTI99.com has a backend that works with registered users, and can serve as a platform where people can connect for games, chats, whatever. I know it's a little bit of a wheel re-invention with BBSes and all, but my goal was to have something standalone, centralized, and available for any program on the TI to use. Anyone can use the MYTI99 backend if they want to. If anyone else wants to experiment with this system, I'll be glad to help. I have a dev instance that can be used to build and experiment on.

I'll have more time after FestWest to help any interested persons.

The CHESS game is written in C, but for people wanting to tinker in BASIC, they can also use this system. I created a Rock Paper Scissors demo in BASIC (Nod to ArcadeShopper for the idea!) to illustrate how this can be done. You can see it on http://myti99.com

• 2 weeks later...

I published version v.003 tonight. You can now actually end a match, just like the web version can. I still have a bunch of features to add, but wanted to at least publish a version that allows for match completion :)

If anyone finds any more bugs, please PM me.

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

This was fun and good program for the TIPI.

There are only a few items I see in v.003:

*  setup of the chess board (queen selects color), white queen on white d1 and black queen on black d8.

* rocade is not possible to the left (long rocade) or right (short) (and probably the rules if one square in between is attacked cannot do the rocade) or when the king is check.

* En passant move for the pawn, i cannot remember I tested it.

* Check-mate detection.

20200503_060135.jpg

39 minutes ago, globeron said:

* rocade is not possible to the left (long rocade) or right (short) (and probably the rules if one square in between is attacked cannot do the rocade) or when the king is check.

Also

• Neither the king nor the rook to be moved can be under attack and
  • Neither the king nor the rook to be moved has ever been moved.

...lee