IGNORED

TRAIN - New Game for Atari 8-bit

baktra

The new Firefox is SUPER slow compared to the last version. Before that I always used Firefox. Now, I only use it when Edge doesn't work and six months later, Firefox still takes at least 30 seconds to load. There was something about Chrome I didn't like, but I don't remember now. Probably some security setting in Edge settings that isn't allowing executable downloads by this method.

Out of curiosity. If you try downloading a .xex file from atarionline.pl, do you experience the same problem with Edge?

Their <a> element doesn't have the download attribute at all.

Addendum.

It appears that the server where baha.webowna.cz is hosted doesn't send Content-type and Content-disposition in the HTTP Response header, if I can trust the development tools of Firefox.

I have no control over the server, but it has no idea what Content-type to send for .atr and .xex files, so it just doesn't send any Content-type. This might confuse the browser. But why it is working with my installation of Edge?

No. I get an .xex file.

Thank you for checking.

An then it makes perfect sense. Atarionline.pl server sets Content-type to application/xex.

So the problem is primarily on the server side. No Content-type results in trouble. So I have some homework to do, even though it works with my Edge.

My Edge is: 42.17134.1.0 Microsoft EdgeHTML 17.17134

I managed to configure the server, so that for .xex files it returns application/xex Content-type and for .atr files it returns application/atr Content-type.

So now (after cleaning caches etc.), Edge should be able to handle the file properly.

Bonus points for Edge - Its developer tools are able to display HTTP requests and responses for file downloads. Opera and Chrome display nothing.

Conclusions:

1. Determine the root cause first, blame browser later (Baktra, R0ger)

2. Don't say you cannot change server configuration, until you really try it. There was VirtualAdmin available (Baktra)

3. ZIP files are not so bad solution after all (Baktra)

4. Learn more about certain tribe of the the indigenous peoples of the Americas, namely Apache (Baktra)

5. Who is guilty as charged? Baktra!

Edited by baktra
  • Like 1

Anyway, Microsoft are about to make Edge obsolete and develop a new Chromium based browser so the world of web browsers will look even more uniform in the future. Basically you'll have Chrome and derived browsers, plus the occasional Firefox and that's it.

Seems like there is a natural taste for sci-fi and bent-truths, here.

Whoever likes or not (it does not matter), Edge is a lean, mean and FaSt web-browser, that clearly leverages the HW assets available through Windows. More and better so than any other browser, which is exactly what I would expect MS to do, on their own environment. As far as it pertains me, I don't want a foreign / half-assed cooked browser running on my 44-thread HP Z840, unless it tries to leverage my assets the best it can, and it is well and closely integrated with my productivity environment of choice (Win 10pro 64).

Google continues to throw monkey-wrenches at EVERY web-browser providers out-there, because of their constant (and sometimes hidden) changes, to which MS HTML team is having trouble keeping up with. Now is the time to consider if submitting to Google's framework is the best choice, in order to diminish the economical impact of having to chase Google at every corner. Everything looking as "Chromium" is NOT and WILL NOT be the best, though.

As for, I have Chromium, Firefox, etc. loaded on my kids machines, I have seen up-close and used them, and I DO NOT want any of them stepping a foot on my workstation. End of the story.

Edited by Faicuai

On second review, I was partly wrong. Microsoft Edge will remain under its current name, but Microsoft will replace the EdgeHTML engine with Chromium. That means it won't be a "new" browser, just that future versions will be based on different code. I suppose if you don't want a trojan horse from Google on your monster computer, you better beware updating the Edge browser during 2019.

Sorry for the off topic!

Probably some security setting in Edge settings that isn't allowing executable downloads by this method.

I just tested this and edge downloads xex's fine here.

Use regedit to look at "Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.xex" and see if there is some incorrect content type set there, sounds like it's set to 'text/html'

On second review, I was partly wrong. Microsoft Edge will remain under its current name, but Microsoft will replace the EdgeHTML engine with Chromium. That means it won't be a "new" browser, just that future versions will be based on different code. I suppose if you don't want a trojan horse from Google on your monster computer, you better beware updating the Edge browser during 2019.

The new path from Edge is not yet set. Chromium engine will be used, that is sure. What is not set in stone is the user interface. It can be the current slick one (metro), or html-based one (chrome-like). So advantages of EdgeHTML will be lost. Perhaps there will be replacement in form of MS contributions to the Chromium engine.

So this is a preliminary .cas file for testing. Baud rate of the main part is increased to 640 bps.

I believe I will have to do something with load error reporting. Pink screen is nice, but this tailored loader can display an error message. The underlying binary load file is a monolithic one, so it is safe.

train2_test01.zip

Would be there any suggestions for a copyright free loading music? :-)

http://www.openmusicarchive.org/faq.php

https://www.noncopyright.com/free-non-copyrighted-music/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_films_in_the_public_domain_in_the_United_States

some verification possibility https://library.dts.edu/Pages/RM/Helps/copyright.shtml

the music and such in the movies as well as almost any classical music from before the copyright crazy change years are often copyright or royalty free, but sometimes there is a restriction due to whoever played it in modern day but only their rendition, much like some books and movies are long out of such protections

• Like 1

http://www.openmusicarchive.org/faq.php

https://www.noncopyright.com/free-non-copyrighted-music/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_films_in_the_public_domain_in_the_United_States

some verification possibility https://library.dts.edu/Pages/RM/Helps/copyright.shtml

the music and such in the movies as well as almost any classical music from before the copyright crazy change years are often copyright or royalty free, but sometimes there is a restriction due to whoever played it in modern day but only their rendition, much like some books and movies are long out of such protections

Thank you for the tips. The licence for the linked music seems to allow usage only for YT, but nowhere else. I will check and double check my findings and and keep looking.

This is music whose copyright has expired, never held one, was made for free use, or released to the public domain. This music can be used by anyone for any purpose. once you put it in Atari form, be it pokey or gtia or whatever method tracker etc you use, it becomes your take on it. If someone has posted otherwise that isn't how it works. They are either public domain or expired and dropped. If you are looking to use someones rendition in a digitized recording and play back method (much as a recording, parrot etc), then you might have to ask their permission. You are free to use the songs/music as you wish when rolling your own, If you wish to restrict what you have done, you may, but you won't own the music (nobody does), just your specific playing of it. If someone wants to redo it themselves you wouldn't be able to say they can't just because you remade or performed it. Just your performance of it could be protected. That's the whole point of open music, expired copyrights et al..

That is also why it clearly states it can be used by anyone for any purpose. Again, that's the reason and point of it.

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

This is music whose copyright has expired, never held one, was made for free use, or released to the public domain. This music can be used by anyone for any purpose. once you put it in Atari form, be it pokey or gtia or whatever method tracker etc you use, it becomes your take on it. If someone has posted otherwise that isn't how it works. They are either public domain or expired and dropped. If you are looking to use someones rendition in a digitized recording and play back method (much as a recording, parrot etc), then you might have to ask their permission. You are free to use the songs/music as you wish when rolling your own, If you wish to restrict what you have done, you may, but you won't own the music (nobody does), just your specific playing of it. If someone wants to redo it themselves you wouldn't be able to say they can't just because you remade or performed it. Just your performance of it could be protected. That's the whole point of open music, expired copyrights et al..

That is also why it clearly states it can be used by anyone for any purpose. Again, that's the reason and point of it.

That is all right. I just need to check licence for individual songs.

Just that the https://www.noncopyright.com/free-non-copyrighted-music/points to YT channels, where the licence often allows only usage for YT video.It doesn't matter, your links helped me to bootstrap the search and get more information on Creative Commons licences. I will probably use music from http://freemusicarchive.org, where the licence seems to be crystal clear for each song.

• Like 1

Out of 5 final candidates I have chosen one public domain music for the loading. My taste is ... my taste. The short voice over at the beginning is really mine. It is only obvious that I am a non native English speaker...

Test version 03 is available for downloading here from my Google drive. So much for madness named dual track tapes in the 21st century :)

The track is "You know why" from "Loyalty Freak Music"

• Like 1

• 2 months later...