IGNORED

Baby Pac-Man

PacManPlus

This is incredible work! Awesome!

Forgive me if I've missed it earlier in the thread, but how do you plan to distribute the final product? Are you doing a cart for it through AA? ROM sale? How will people be able to get the final version of the game to play? I have an s-video modded 7800, and I can only imagine what a wonderful game this would be on it.

Thanks!
Blaine

Thanks, guys, for the kind words.

This is incredible work! Awesome!

Forgive me if I've missed it earlier in the thread, but how do you plan to distribute the final product? Are you doing a cart for it through AA? ROM sale? How will people be able to get the final version of the game to play? I have an s-video modded 7800, and I can only imagine what a wonderful game this would be on it.

Thanks!
Blaine

Yes, hopefully Al can put this in the AA store.

Bob

• Like 6

Hi Bob,

It would make a wonderful addition to the AA store. I hope it gets there, it deserves it.

I had a Baby-Pac about 12-13 years ago. Traded a blind-playing Star Wars upright with sanded side art (I didn't sand it) for it. Took LOTS of cleaning and some contact replacement, but it worked. It was, as they all are, loaded with little gremlins that liked to make little things stop working. Gorgeous game, fun pin, very unreliable. A cart version of your game would be incredible. Either way, I'll buy a copy when its ready in either ROM or physical form. Then I can spend my time fighting off these gremlins instead:

s-l300.png

• Like 3

Ok.

Finished the sounds (including the flipper click), prioritized the pinball sounds, relaxed the collision detection a bit, and removed the 'pinball only' selection.

I think we are done, barring any bugs. I also fixed the ball appearing in the wrong place if you go back to the maze through the saucer and then die (Seen at 10:30 in the latest video I posted).

Also tested on the real thing.

Edited by PacManPlus
  • Like 15

Ok.

Finished the sounds (including the flipper click), prioritized the pinball sounds, relaxed the collision detection a bit, and removed the 'pinball only' selection.

I think we are done, barring any bugs.

Is there a specific reason for removing the "pinball only" mode? I think would be fun to have the option of "maze only" and "pinball only". Maybe hide them in a debug menu (press some combination of inputs on boot to unlock).

Very cool, and I can't wqit to play this fantastic and historic game on my 7800.

Are all the Pacman games now accounted for? We have Pacman Collection with all Pacman and Ms Pacman variants, Super Pacman, Jr Pacman, and Baby Pacman, as well as historucal curiosity Carzy Otto. And yes, well there's also Pacland, but that's a spinoff. I also have Pacland on Famicom, Lynx, and Turbografx.

Job well done, and by far your most ambitious project to date! :grin: :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Is there a specific reason for removing the "pinball only" mode? I think would be fun to have the option of "maze only" and "pinball only". Maybe hide them in a debug menu (press some combination of inputs on boot to unlock).

Very cool, and I can't wqit to play this fantastic and historic game on my 7800.

Are all the Pacman games now accounted for? We have Pacman Collection with all Pacman and Ms Pacman variants, Super Pacman, Jr Pacman, and Baby Pacman, as well as historucal curiosity Carzy Otto. And yes, well there's also Pacland, but that's a spinoff. I also have Pacland on Famicom, Lynx, and Turbografx.

Job well done, and by far your most ambitious project to date! :grin: :thumbsup:

Pac and Pal?

• Like 2

Hey guys, and thank you again.

@AtariBrian - From what I was able to see, 2-player seemed to be ok. Nothing changed in that area from the last binary I posted, so if anyone else catches anything, please let me know.

@Kosmic Stardust - I removed the 'pinball only' mode, due to lack of any information/videos of what changes. For the Video only mode, we all know what the pacman games were like... But 1) I have no idea what is different for the 'pinball only' mode (which is a dip switch setting in the game) and 2) Being that there are no videos & no information (the dip switch in pinmame didn't seem to do anything), it didn't seem like a necessity to keep it in. *Some things* have to change, because the fruit, tunnel, and energizers that normally interact with the video mode would have no meaning in pinball only mode.

Pac&Pal is not getting done by me. The 7800 may have the most Pac variants, but I will have to leave Pac-Land and Pac&Pal out (unless someone wants to hack Bentley Bear into Pac-Land)... I want to continue working on some of the other games I have started, but never finished.

------------------------------------------------

Also, and I've been meaning to post this, I won't be posting any more final versions of the ROM (for the first time ever). I've been seeing reproductions being made on eBay too much (by one particular person especially, and they don't comply when I ask to stop selling them). Albert / AA is the ONLY person / site I want distributing the games I do.

...and there are QUITE a few hacks out there where someone changes a maze and then claims authorship of the game... That kind of irks me too.

Edited by PacManPlus
  • Like 22

Also, and I've been meaning to post this, I won't be posting any more final versions of the ROM (for the first time ever). I've been seeing reproductions being made on eBay too much (by one particular person especially, and they don't comply when I ask to stop selling them). Albert / AA is the ONLY person / site I want distributing the games I do.

...and there are QUITE a few hacks out there where someone changes a maze and then claims authorship of the game... That kind of irks me too.

D-bags like them are killing homebrews.

• Like 9

Pac & Pal / Pac-Man & Chomp-Chomp and Professor Pac-Man have yet to see console or home computer ports, if I'm not mistaken. Those should cover everything up to Pac-Land.

• Like 2

Pac & Pal / Pac-Man & Chomp-Chomp and Professor Pac-Man have yet to see console or home computer ports, if I'm not mistaken. Those should cover everything up to Pac-Land.

For the hate Professor Pac-Man gets, I think there's a real opportunity there to make a home adaptation something special. Sure, it's a puzzle / trivia game, but the opportunity for redemption lies in the questions. "Professor Pac-Man - Video Game edition"

• Like 2

So this means that the final version will only be available in physical form, not as a ROM image? Or will the ROM image be made available as the game hits the AA store? Or will we have to wait until someone dumps the cart, and the ROM makes its way to various ROM sites (as eventually Red Sea Crossing did as well)?

As for the pinball only mode, @Imstarryed, maybe you can fill us in on how this one works and what the differences to the regular mode are?

As a wild guess, I would speculate the following:

- The player starts in pinball modes and has as many balls as there would normally babies.

- A ball counts as drained with the same rules as normally, that is, there are 3 tries to get it going until something else scoring than the left bumper has been hit

- When the ball hits a hole, it never goes up to the maze, but the ball always gets spit out again

- The fruit and tunnel levels of course don't make that much sense, but the arrows in the middle still advance and eventually give an extra ball after all have been lit

One problem I see is how the player should keep track of how many balls are still left... in the original version, the video screen probably is still active, but in the 7800 version, the extra lives only get displayed when in maze mode. Maybe this could be added to the scoring line, or the number of extra balls could be displayed in place of the tunnel speed (with another ball replacing the fruit indicator)?

There will be no ROM image available. I plan on setting up a custom bank-switch method, so that ROM dumps will be hindered.

Regarding the Pinball only mode, I had already implemented the spitting back of the ball from the saucer regardless of the energizers. I had planned on giving as many balls as lives, and I had also begun to use the 'Tunnel' level display as the ball count when I realized that this mode probably was unnecessary.

Edited by PacManPlus
  • Like 10

First. I am in awe. This game really captures the feel of the arcade game.

The arcade game flickers when Baby Pac and the monsters line up. I guess this is one time where the 7800 strength is a weakness. lol :-D

...But seriously, I wouldn't have imagined this being captured so well back in the day. Great job, and thanks again!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Secondly, about ROMs and piracy.

I'd be happy to pay for a legitimate ROM release. I purchased 3 from Carl Mueller Jr. Maybe I am not looking hard enough, but I haven't seen his DK, DKII, or Ms Pac-Man ROM in the wild.

I am a fan of supporting the authors and AA, but generally don't care for carts. I've purchased them. Pac-Man Collection sits on my shelf, because I can't handle the dot eating noise. I prefer to play the Pokey version on my Ballblazer EPROM cart.

I do not want to hijack this thread, but this whole issue gave me an idea concerning Digital ROMs.

It's not polished, but just brainstorming to maybe inspire something more polished.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First. I am in awe. This game really captures the feel of the arcade game.

The arcade game flickers when Baby Pac and the monsters line up. I guess this is one time where the 7800 strength is a weakness. lol :-D

...But seriously, I wouldn't have imagined this being captured so well back in the day. Great job, and thanks again!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Secondly, about ROMs and piracy.

I'd be happy to pay for a legitimate ROM release. I purchased 3 from Carl Mueller Jr. Maybe I am not looking hard enough, but I haven't seen his DK, DKII, or Ms Pac-Man ROM in the wild.

I am a fan of supporting the authors and AA, but generally don't care for carts. I've purchased them. Pac-Man Collection sits on my shelf, because I can't handle the dot eating noise. I prefer to play the Pokey version on my Ballblazer EPROM cart.

I do not want to hijack this thread, but this whole issue gave me an idea concerning Digital ROMs.

It's not polished, but just brainstorming to maybe inspire something more polished.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From your link: "I believe his logic is that if a person's ROM image was found in the wild, they'd be blacklisted."

I believe the guilty parties in question have been confronted and outed on the forum, but, as has been said, do not care about their reputation in this respect.

• Like 4