IGNORED

AVGCART

tmp

I like the candies that do not contain cane/sugar, bread, alcohol, or aspartame/saccharin. Germany has awesome candies that do not have any of that added crap. Imagine that! Candy that's tasty and not bad for you. I am glad Aldis/Lidl carry some decent German cereal and candy from time to time in the USA. I wonder what other countries have to offer

Edited by _The Doctor__

22 hours ago, ZuluGula said:

I wish if someone would start sending bacon instead of candies. Or at least kabanosy - thin polish sausages. Those are ok without refrigeration.

(cut)

Uh, these Polish sausages (and Tarczynski too) are awful man. These are far from real "kabanos" sausages. You should try kabanos sausages from Krakus.

• Like 1

Is anyone else using one of these with an 800? It is working great, but the SIO cable I ordered with it is not long enough to reach from the port to the AVGCART in the left cart slot. Any suggestions on a solution? Do SIO extender cables exist, or maybe a male to female adapter so I could use a cable from a disk drive as an extender cable?

all SIO cables have the same length (cca 30cm), the only dual length was ECI cable to accommodate different connector position on older carts

i got some of these and soldered a pair together to make an (ugly) extension for @a8isa1, i wanted to put some on eshop but as with million other things, i never got to that (i even forgot about them)

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002332868366.html

i'm not aware of any standard sio extension cables, there are splitters but i'm not sure if they'd help since i don't own 800

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, tmp said:

all SIO cables have the same length (cca 30cm), the only dual length was ECI cable to accommodate different connector position on older carts

i got some of these and soldered a pair together to make an (ugly) extension for @a8isa1, i wanted to put some on eshop but as with million other things, i never got to that (i even forgot about them)

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002332868366.html

i'm not aware of any standard sio extension cables, there are splitters but i'm not sure if they'd help since i don't own 800

lol!

tmp, I managed to break that one too  :(

I bought the parts to make my own but I am dangerous with a soldering iron.   End result is even uglier than you could ever imagine.  See below.

No mesh sheath.  Had not yet purchased shrink tubing.  As you can see, I'm not very good with a hot glue gun either.

-SteveS

P.S. The extension cable does work,  in case anyone was wondering

P.P.S.  I'm also not great with adding attachments.   Here it is now:

IMG_20221209_185523.thumb.jpg.5062a956981b8c818bc89ab8eda6919c.jpg

Edited by a8isa1
  • Like 2

@tmp I looked and checked and checked again for video tampering re the C64 AVG use and could not see any, so unless you are an accredited film editor as well as a cart making genius, I presume that the cart does work with the C64 and not a prank. Is it using the same sort of link to the IEC that the SIO cable does, ie it shows as a real 1541 to read the images off or is it just a cart and prg loader at the moment?

On 12/7/2022 at 7:07 PM, Karl G said:

Did anyone else's AVGCART come with complementary hard candies? :-D

MINE didn't. 😛 

I like the candies that do not contain cane/sugar, bread, alcohol, or aspartame/saccharin. Germany has awesome candies that do not have any of that added crap. Imagine that!

We do?? Who wants that? :D No, really, I never see those at the supermarket.

1 hour ago, Mclaneinc said:

@tmp I looked and checked and checked again for video tampering re the C64 AVG use and could not see any, so unless you are an accredited film editor as well as a cart making genius, I presume that the cart does work with the C64 and not a prank. Is it using the same sort of link to the IEC that the SIO cable does, ie it shows as a real 1541 to read the images off or is it just a cart and prg loader at the moment?

If I'm not mistaken there is some "breakout" board stuck into the C64, which would make sense since they don't have the same connector for cartridges, or do they? So there's probably some magic in that board and the AVG firmware detects if it's connected to an Atari or Commodore. The AVG GUI offers XEX and ATR files on the Atari, but CRT and PRG files on the C64. Checks out. Pretty awesome.

Just did a quick search and the Atari has a 30 pin cartridge connector and the C64 a 44 pin expansion slot.

Oh, wait. The "PBI" and "SIO" cables get connected to the AVG Cart - so there's more going on. The other end of those cables would be interesting to see. :) 

Edited by mnemo

19 minutes ago, mnemo said:

If I'm not mistaken there is some "breakout" board stuck into the C64, which would make sense since they don't have the same connector for cartridges, or do they? So there's probably some magic in that board and the AVG firmware detects if it's connected to an Atari or Commodore. The AVG GUI offers XEX and ATR files on the Atari, but CRT and PRG files on the C64. Checks out. Pretty awesome.

Just did a quick search and the Atari has a 30 pin cartridge connector and the C64 a 44 pin expansion slot.

Oh, wait. The "PBI" and "SIO" cables get connected to the AVG Cart - so there's more going on. The other end of those cables would be interesting to see. :) 

Yes, that's why the question, because I could see he was using both SIO port aand AVG PBI / ECG ports on the cart as  well.

I do hope it's not a pet personal project and a kit is made.. The 1541 Ultimate I have is great, but it could use a good mate :)

21 hours ago, Karl G said:

Is anyone else using one of these with an 800? It is working great, but the SIO cable I ordered with it is not long enough to reach from the port to the AVGCART in the left cart slot. Any suggestions on a solution? Do SIO extender cables exist, or maybe a male to female adapter so I could use a cable from a disk drive as an extender cable?

21 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

There was a longer cable, but not sure if it's long enough... was it for 1200XL/800 or some other model? I don't remember.

Well,

a friend created this AVG-SIO cable for me. Steps: 1) He used a standard A8 SIO cable (length 90cm / 900mm / 3 feet), 2) cut off one plug (length then 85cm / 850mm / less than 3 feet) and added the small AVG SIO-cable (length 10cm/100mm). 3) He printed a very small "case" (approx. 2cmx1cm) with a 3D printer and 4) glued the cables together in this case, new length is now 95cm / 950mm / a little more than 3 feet.

This was the first AVG-SIO cable I had (actually he made two of them), it is much too long for my XL computers. After I ordered the ready-made short AVG-SIO cables (25cm or 30cm) by MrRobot and later by tmp, I do not need them anymore. Think these 95cm long SIO cables are long enough for Atari 800 computers however.

AVGSIO1.jpg

AVGSIO2.jpg

• Like 1

it's just a breakout board connected to c64 cart port and those two cables into sio and eci/pbi port are there for the extra signals because c64 cart port has a lot more of them than atari

currently it's just a dev tool to figure out how c64 stuff works and what signals are needed (too many, that i've already found out)

it won't compete with 1541 uii+, that's for sure, there are too many hw limitations for that but if it'd be at least on par with kung fu flash or slightly better, that's good enough (average enough) for me

• Like 5

3 hours ago, CharlieChaplin said:

This was the first AVG-SIO cable I had (actually he made two of them), it is much too long for my XL computers. After I ordered the ready-made short AVG-SIO cables (25cm or 30cm) by MrRobot and later by tmp, I do not need them anymore. Think these 95cm long SIO cables are long enough for Atari 800 computers however.

That would be perfect, and plenty long for my purposes! The one I purchased is only a few centimeters too short (it would have reached fine if it went to the right cartridge port.