IGNORED

AVGCART

tmp

10 hours ago, Larry said:

@tmp  I'd like to upgrade my older AVGCART with the PBI and ECI cables.  (My SIO mod works great.)  I have a brown/white pcb with the diagonal solder pad.  I looked at the ECI Mod listing, and that looks doable by me.  My questions are about the cables and plastic connector.

1. Can I get longer cables from you, or must I splice/lengthen them myself?

2. Can you supply the plastic connector along with the cables?

-or-

3. Can you sell me a new-style PCB, if it will fit in my original cart shell?  If so, what would the price be? 

Thanks.

i can make you a longer eci cable (but wires won't be black) and also supply 9pin jst connector

i don't provide longer pbi cables

Edited by tmp
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/26/2020 at 11:16 PM, Xuel said:

Yeah, tmp and I discussed the possibility of storing defaults somewhere.

Is this already implemented?

As I am using covox playback with PokeyMax ($d280) it would be nice not to have to enter the covox address again for any file I play.

7 hours ago, patjomki said:

Is this already implemented?

As I am using covox playback with PokeyMax ($d280) it would be nice not to have to enter the covox address again for any file I play.

it should be enough to hexedit both covplay and cosplay and replace $0d, $06, $00, $00 by $0d, $02, $08, $00 near the end of those files to change default covox address

if that doesn't work, let me know

• Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/3/2023 at 7:53 PM, rcamp48 said:

Hey Charlie: Here is an original set of NTSC and Pal files that was recorded from my gramophone and subsequently put on the Atari , hence it is called Listen_To_The_Mocking_Bird_On_An_Atari, the video is the original on the PC, the NTSC version does not work on my Atari at all, I could do it as a PDM file however. Check the PAL version out and see if it works, if you have an NTSC machine try it too..... I am beginning to suspect something may be wrong with my Atari 800XL.

Listen_To_The_Mocking_Bird_On_An_Atari_NTSC.avf 88.83 MB · 10 downloads

Listen_To_The_Mocking_Bird_On_An_Atari_PAL.avf 73.92 MB · 9 downloads

Did these files ever work? I assume the reason they did not work on my machine was a bad chip.

[q] Did these files ever work? I assume the reason they did not work on my machine was a bad chip. [/q]

Sorry to tell you Russ, but the video did not work - at least the PAL version did not. (Unable to test the NTSC version, since I only have a PAL system.) Tried to playback several times. Most of the time the file would not play at all, but when it played back, the audio (or part of the audio?) was there, while the video was only garbage. Looks like you have to give the conversion one more try...

Anyone out there who can test the NTSC version and report back if it works or does not work ?

- added type 83 (SIC+ 1MB)
- 1MB extmem support for ATR files (PBI/ECI)
- fix for X in stacked SDX (don't disable IDE)
- some search fixes
- XEX loader fix (Getris)

not much changed if you run the latest beta but it's time to finally close 0029 so i can start breaking stuff again

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

And since there is an update.txt in the 0029.ZIP (from 2022!) which says copy both AVGCARTa.UPD and AVGCARTb.UPD to SD card, I have to ask again: If I own the newer AVG cart (with dark-blue, light-blue AVG sticker) do I really have to copy both of them to the SD-card or is the AVGCARTb.UPD enough ?!? Last time I did the update someone told me, version b would be enough for the newer AVG...?!?

23 minutes ago, ascrnet said:

Hi @tmp,

For another cartridge project I was doing a cartridge type collection and came across some unsupported ones for you to keep in mind in the future. 😅

21 - Right slot 8 KB cartridge
44 - OSS 8 KB cartridge
57 - Standard 2 KB cartridge
65 - The!Cart 32 MB cartridge
68 - Atrax 128 KB cartridge

Regards

21, 44, 57 should be supported unless i broke something

65 is too large

68 isn't supported, the "decoded" variant should be

I have AVG, and it works nicely, but over the last few months, I've been using SIDE3.1 to eliminate instability issues. It succeeded, and currently, an O2/Fixer based on my laboratory work is available at Lotharek's. Now I'm waiting for an update to AVG that will include the option to permanently remember (even after a cold reset or turning off the computer) assigned ATR images to specific disks. An ideal option would also be the same function as in SIDE3.1, to be able to completely disable AVG during startup and switch to it from Ultimate 1MB option "L" - loader. AVG is a great cart, and with a little more work on the firmware, it can be as good as SIDE3.x.

7 minutes ago, lewiS said:

@lewiS,

I know that workarounds work well, along with other workarounds for Fujinet Config. Still, it is easier to work with SIDE3 (if it works, and it certainly works with O2/Fixer). In my humble opinion, in that area, SIDE3 has better UX.

By the way, for me, the best interface has the Ultimate Cart. It has nice fonts, shortcuts like page up/page down, and the "X" key that skips the cartridge menu and boots the system.

Currently, I'm counting on merging external Ultimate 1MB, SIDE3.x, and Fujinet into one device. All of those projects are at Lotharek's lab right now.

17 minutes ago, Piotr D. Kaczorowski said:

I have AVG, and it works nicely, but over the last few months, I've been using SIDE3.1 to eliminate instability issues. It succeeded, and currently, an O2/Fixer based on my laboratory work is available at Lotharek's. Now I'm waiting for an update to AVG that will include the option to permanently remember (even after a cold reset or turning off the computer) assigned ATR images to specific disks. An ideal option would also be the same function as in SIDE3.1, to be able to completely disable AVG during startup and switch to it from Ultimate 1MB option "L" - loader. AVG is a great cart, and with a little more work on the firmware, it can be as good as SIDE3.x.

i just wonder, you've spent considerable time to design training wheels for side3 ("o2 fixer") to make it even work on your machine, you imply that it's functionally superior, why even go back?

is it the sticker? ;-)

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, tmp said:

i just wonder, you've spent considerable time to design training wheels for side3 ("o2 fixer") to make it even work on your machine, you imply that it's functionally superior, why even go back?

is it the sticker? ;-)

I don't know exactly what you mean. The problem I encountered was related to various internal and external extensions. Since no one could answer my question (including you) as to where the problem lay, I managed to solve it. I decided not to have any financial benefits from this project, and Lotharek also sells O2/Fixer at virtually the cost of production, so that projects developed over many years could cooperate with each other. From the information I received, the problem concerned projects such as U1MB, Rapidus, MyIDE, IDE+, SIDE3. Currently, the problem has been diagnosed as the creation of parasitic capacitance. O2/Fixer solves this issue. During the lab, I was able to demonstrate a so-called slowly increasing system degradation (I am an engineer in computer science, automation, and electronics, so I know what it entails). The matter is closed. The device is available at Lotharek's store and in RetroLemon.co.uk .

SIDE3 will have persistent image mounting (which is definitely a good idea) with the next version of the loader, when I get time to finish it.

As for functionality: since the software is the 'face' of the device and sits between the user and the hardware, it's the most critical part of any project. SIDE3 is designed to work in concert with U1MB, and users who want that functionality (including the ability to run the loader with 'L' from the U1MB setup menu, which I can assure you will never run any other device's loader) buy SIDE3. Those who don't buy something else.

Edited by flashjazzcat
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Piotr D. Kaczorowski said:

@tmp

Please plan to add a switch for permanent disk mounting in the next version. This will greatly help those who want to use AVG during development with an Atari computer. For those who only want to load games, this is indeed not necessary.

Isn't it done by Shift+Ctrl+N already?

@lewiS,

@flashjazzcat,

I use SIDE3 with U1MB. It seems to me that there is permanent mounting. It's worth checking in subsequent revisions. Nevertheless, I'll tell you how I use it. Usually, as D1, I have mounted Fujinet Config or something I load from the network - for example, LiteDOS. On subsequent disks, I have either disk images from TNFS or from SIDE3.1, which guarantees me ultra-fast access. I have SIDE3.1 available through the loader from Ultimate 1MB. This is the ideal configuration for me. Of course, everyone can have their preferences and may feel more comfortable with something else, but this gives me the best comfort.