IGNORED

AVGCART

tmp

didn't old side loader limit to 8k roms?

I think you can have SIDE mode active and still run CAR/ROMS from AVG menu while still using SIDE loader for the other stuff/ATR XEX etc. and still having your hard drive SD card available as well. At least that's how it used to be, I would have expected it would have gotten even better over time, if it is still being updated with everything else.

30 minutes ago, Donald Dennis said:

Ok... New issue for the collective... Sorry (Lol)! With the U1MB flashed to the Side 2 PBI and plugin, the AVG Side loader does indeed pick up and run ATR and XEX files. But in that configuration, it no longer sees ROM and CAR files. I can't win. (Lol)! Any thoughts on a solution?

maybe we should figure out why are you launching that emulated side loader and find a way to achieve the same without doing so, there was one legitimate reason to do so i know about, to run getris but that was fixed in the latest fw

u1mb+side2 doesn't support rom/car so you can't expect anything else by emulating it

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, tmp said:

maybe we should figure out why are you launching that emulated side loader and find a way to achieve the same without doing so, there was one legitimate reason to do so i know about, to run getris but that was fixed in the latest fw

u1mb+side2 doesn't support rom/car so you can't expect anything else by emulating it

13 minutes ago, tmp said:

Without using the Side loader, It sees all 4 types of files. I was experimenting around with the Side loader to see what all capabilities it brought to the game. With U1MB configured for Side 2 operation, I got ATR and XEX files. Configured for Side 3 I get XEX, ROM, and CAR files. To get ell of em, I'm just gonna have to stick with the actual AVG menu. Nothing ventured nothing gained and I certainly appreciate the assistance. Learned a few things I was unaware of.

1 hour ago, Donald Dennis said:

With the U1MB flashed to the Side 2 PBI and plugin, the AVG Side loader does indeed pick up and run ATR and XEX files. But in that configuration, it no longer sees ROM and CAR files. I can't win. (Lol)! Any thoughts on a solution?

One thing SIDE2 actually doesn't support is CAR and ROM files, so your options are to use AVG's own loader (if you're not bothered about coherent integration with U1MB), or reflash the SIDE3 firmware and use the SIDE3 cart. Did the SIDE3 ever get un-bricked? The only reason I can see for using SIDE2 instead of SIDE3 is if SIDE3 is busted or flat-out refuses to work on your system.

26 minutes ago, Donald Dennis said:

Without using the Side loader, It sees all 4 types of files. I was experimenting around with the Side loader to see what all capabilities it brought to the game. With U1MB configured for Side 2 operation, I got ATR and XEX files. Configured for Side 3 I get XEX, ROM, and CAR files. To get ell of em, I'm just gonna have to stick with the actual AVG menu. Nothing ventured nothing gained and I certainly appreciate the assistance. Learned a few things I was unaware of.

Right: this is what I get for replying before noticing that the thread spilled over onto another page. :)

It's immediately apparent that the reason your SIDE3 didn't 'see' ATR files is that you either had the PBI HDD disabled while U1MB was carrying the SIDE3 firmware, or the wrong PBI BIOS flashed to the U1MB at the time you were using SIDE3. Ignoring the advice to abandon the user interface you evidently favour, you should flash the 'U1MBS3FW.ROM' file to the 'firmware' slot of the U1MB, enable the PBI HDD, put your SIDE3 back in the computer, and everything should work (XEX, ATR, ROM, CAR). If it doesn't, let me know and we'll sort things out rather than allow you to be inveigled into abandoning the software you apparently prefer to use.

Meanwhile, I begin to wonder why SIDE2 emulation mode isn't removed from AVG entirely, such are the efforts made to talk it down at every opportunity, and I say this as the person who came up with the idea of SIDE emulation, helped the developer when he was enthusiastically implementing it, and told him that no compensation was necessary for the special stand-alone CAR versions of my loader presumably supplied on every SD card sold with AVG. If the only legitimate reason for using the emulation feature was a bug in the native AVG loader that's since been fixed, surely no-one would miss it.

24 minutes ago, flashjazzcat said:

One thing SIDE2 actually doesn't support is CAR and ROM files, so your options are to use AVG's own loader (if you're not bothered about coherent integration with U1MB), or reflash the SIDE3 firmware and use the SIDE3 cart. Did the SIDE3 ever get un-bricked? The only reason I can see for using SIDE2 instead of SIDE3 is if SIDE3 is busted or flat-out refuses to work on your system.

Oh yes. I got the Side 3 back months ago. In the interim while it was out for repair I purchased another Side 3 and the AVG cartridge. Also have a couple of UNO cartridges in the mix. Wanted a variety of options apart from S-Drive max for loading files. I was simply curious about how well AVG would integrate with U!MB.

3 minutes ago, flashjazzcat said:

Right: this is what I get for replying before noticing that the thread spilled over onto another page. :)

It's immediately apparent that the reason your SIDE3 didn't 'see' ATR files is that you either had the PBI HDD disabled while U1MB was carrying the SIDE3 firmware, or the wrong PBI BIOS flashed to the U1MB at the time you were using SIDE3. Ignoring the advice to abandon the user interface you evidently favour, you should flash the 'U1MBS3FW.ROM' file to the 'firmware' slot of the U1MB, enable the PBI HDD, put your SIDE3 back in the computer, and everything should work (XEX, ATR, ROM, CAR). If it doesn't, let me know and we'll sort things out rather than allow you to be inveigled into abandoning the software you apparently prefer to use.

Meanwhile, I begin to wonder why SIDE2 emulation mode isn't removed from AVG entirely, such are the efforts made to talk it down at every opportunity, and I say this as the person who came up with the idea of SIDE emulation, helped the developer when he was enthusiastically implementing it, and told him that no compensation was necessary for the special stand-alone CAR versions of my loader presumably supplied on every SD card sold with AVG. If the only legitimate reason for using the emulation feature was a bug in the native AVG loader that's since been fixed, surely no-one would miss it.

No worries. I was just experimenting on a day off and procrastinating about cutting grass. (Lol)! Everything is flashed back to accommodate Side 3.

• Like 1

okay so does that mean that SIDE loader for AVG was frozen in time and updates didn't come forward?

I used side loader on avg for titles that didn't work on AVG's loader, and I suspect that while the SIO cord will allow all atr's etc to run no problem... the two loaders both AVG and SIDE would still be of benefit for those just using the cart without other cables.

The 8 K rom limitation was where I last saw the software. That hopefully doesn't get interpreted as some downer or neg, as it is what is was at that time. I found it useful and pleasant so why is aesthetics and function a bad thing? Some demos did not work on SIDE loader ran on AVG's and some demos ran on SIDE loader and not on AVG loader.

I would gladly update if I saw the update. I launched side loader from the AVG menu and not from SDX  CAR command because I wanted my carts to work and still have SIDE loader. At some point a change was made to launch side loader using car... at that point I rolled back the SDX etc and stayed with the older version.

It's good to have choices. Don't understand what's going on in the thread, shouldn't be bad for TMP or FJC, doing good stuff and being symbiotic in projects has been good for us all. Hopefully you both are just having tough days.

Out of curiosity, is there a way to support a "return to loader" functionality in programs where it is back to the AVGCart interface, ideally in the last folder visited, highlighting the .xex file that was returned from?

I apologise if this was already explained somewhere, I simply don't remember if this was possible.

I was wondering because attempting to "return to DOS" either booted the Test Screen, or crashed my machine.

2 hours ago, VinsCool said:

Out of curiosity, is there a way to support a "return to loader" functionality in programs where it is back to the AVGCart interface, ideally in the last folder visited, highlighting the .xex file that was returned from?

I apologise if this was already explained somewhere, I simply don't remember if this was possible.

I was wondering because attempting to "return to DOS" either booted the Test Screen, or crashed my machine.

i don't know, maybe, attach such xex and i'll add it to queue

some time ago i realized that some improvements could be made regarding returning to selector on configurations without eci/pbi cable but i always forget about it because most of the time, i have eci/pbi cable connected so i just press reset and selector autoenables without having to press cart button and i only fix stuff that somebody reports or annoys me enough personally ;-)

• Like 1

15 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

does that mean that SIDE loader for AVG was frozen in time and updates didn't come forward?

No. I produce a CAR file for AVG with every update.

16 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

The 8 K rom limitation was where I last saw the software.

The only way SIDE/SIDE2 could run any kind of ROM file at all was by loading it into RAM as a flat 8K or 16K cartridge and manually relocating the screen and changing MEMTOP to suit. This was a trememndously half-baked and perfunctory solution which immediately fell over if the cartridge code happened to rely on being in ROM and not in RAM (as is commonly the case), and when SIDE3 came along I believe I pulled the feature entirely, since we finally had proper cartridge emulation with banked cart support, etc. I later back-ported to the SIDE/SIDE2 loader a lot of UI and performance improvements which first showed up in the SIDE3 Loader.

16 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

It's good to have choices.

I agree, although it probably does become a little confusing for the end user, what with the U1MB firmware dependencies, etc, especially when they remember such and such working prior to a firmware update, only to be told it was never supported in the first place.

• 1 month later...

And now for something completely different!

I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok...

Is there a way to mount multiple drive images that are all live? I know I can select up to 8 image files, but for example, I mount 4 .atr files - D1, D2, D3, D4. I boot from D1, then I want to copy a file from D3 to D4 without hitting the swap button. Is this possible? 

Another scenario - if you want to play Synapse's Mindwheel, it requires you to have two drives simultaneously. Not a problem if I use physical hardware, but can I do it virtually with the AVG?

• Haha 2

when atrs are emulated via sio cable, all mounted drives should be visible and accessible, if you see only d1:, that'd mean atrs are emulated via pbi which is non-default (unless you run them via shift-return or hit a bug i've recently fixed concerning using shift-number to mount drives and launching via space key)

On 10/12/2023 at 11:45 PM, tmp said:

when atrs are emulated via sio cable, all mounted drives should be visible and accessible, if you see only d1:, that'd mean atrs are emulated via pbi which is non-default (unless you run them via shift-return or hit a bug i've recently fixed concerning using shift-number to mount drives and launching via space key)

I didn't know about the space bar trick, good to know. A little progress - I attempted to mount 4 atr files. Just to troubleshoot, drive 1 is Dos 2.5. When I do a directory search, I can see drive 2. Yay! However, drives 3 and 4 give me an error 160, which is a drive number error.

DOS 2.5 supports only two drives by default

DOS 2.5 supports drives 1-8, but
is initialized to drives 1, 2, and 8, so if you have other drives, change
location 1802 ($70A); that is, if you have three drives and the
RAMdisk, POKE 1802, 135. All bits in location 1802 now represent pos-
sible drives.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, tmp said:

DOS 2.5 supports only two drives by default

You can also change that using the utility that comes with DOS 2.5.

"Binary Load" SETUP.COM

Then select "Change system configuration" from the menu that comes up.

setupmenu.thumb.png.bf28ebbefa63c5c81754de1d38cad8b7.png

changesystem.thumb.png.4a861f6e9558302c68042ddf7c076eb3.png

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi friends,

I have a huge problem with my AVGCART,
firmware update 0029 does not want to be done, the two files are nevertheless present on the root of my SD card,

but when I press CTRL-Shift-U simultaneously, I get the Search indication each time: u.

I also have all the other functions that do not work, although my ECI/PBI cable is connected, no key combination works.

I specify that my AVGCART was working well before I updated the bc29 firmware

What do I have to do to get my AVGCART back in good condition?

Edited by ricky