IGNORED

unknown famicom games? SOLD

McCallister

4 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

My post is approved??  Since when do I need permission to post?  What happened?

You quoted a post that had the word "Trump" in it. There are a small number of words that, when used, sill

automatically put a post into the moderation queue. Really just to alert mods that a discussion may have veered into politics.  This post of mine will also be flagged because is that. 

..Al

• Like 3

Just now, Albert said:

You quoted a post that had the word "T" in it. There are a small number of words that, when used, sill

automatically put a post into the moderation queue. Really just to alert mods that a discussion may have veered into politics.  This post of mine will also be flagged because is that. 

..Al

Ahh ok, that makes total sense, thanks.  Figures D/R -- T+B would set that off all things considered even as a quote I guess.  I didn't think I had a restriction since I keep away from that bs here, it's a huge reason I like this place as it is because you can't get into the weeds without chugging weed killer as a punishment which is deserved.  Games and that don't belong on the same forum, it's an escape, not a horrific reminder.

5 hours ago, CPUWIZ said:

Sorry, I don't make it a habit to read some random noob's past threads, and well that makes you even more weird.  What platforms were those games released on?

Well I wrote it wrong, it was an earlier post on this very thread that you had been reading! Also I've been a member here since 2015, though I browse quite a bit I just rarely post. 

2 hours ago, Tanooki said:

You're too preachy for your own good you know that?  These things are decades old and hurting no one, this isn't like some multi-million dollar Switch theft racket...that I'd get behind your argument 100% over, no questions asked.  You're correct they're a mix of lacked to not giving any F's, same in South America among a few other areas.  The thing is, outside asia in particular despicable politicians passed tariffs and other taxes, on top of their social programs making the economy so shit, that buying these old games would be like an entire paycheck or pay for a month.  They were bred out of a necessity of local era greed and honestly, doing that crap, I'd call it (even if illegal still) more than justified.

Your argument honestly is 100% pure bullshit, you're fanticizing on that bit there about ripping on people like myself and fcgamer there who authors books on this stuff as supporting these people, giving them a living, as we get them second, third...10th hand doing the game of for-sale-telephone.  Buying old shit like this whether it's worth a dollar or a hundred of them isn't supporting those bootleggers, they're not seeing a coin out of it anymore than the real IP holder and it doesn't encourage a damn thing either because there's no money in those.  You would be right, if you went to aliexpress, and then bought a cart of something on a new PCB they're shipping today then it's an issue and you can get moral about it or not and even then still a gray area.  MindKids is a big one, they run copies of Bio Miracle Bokutte Upa for Famicom for around $10USD.  Konami doesn't back, support, or sell that one anymore and not in a LONG TIME, so you can either play a scalper $120+USD for a legit cart which benefits no one but that greedy asshole, or pay a 10th of the price.  So I mean, I guess you're ok being screwed to take the moral high road?  Most people aren't or these wouldn't be being made, or all those Anbernic devices either.

Huh funny you should ask that next question, copyright laws DO exist here where I am, and I do have a copier, the Epilogue Operator which can dump any form of Gameboy - Color - Advance games, also write new ones, and their save data too.  If someone wanted a game I know where to get the board, I had ONE, a couple months ago I grabbed Balloon Fight GB which was a Lawson's only download in Japan for GB Memory kiosks and I made a cart out of it for myself, I could get more and sell them easily enough but I haven't seen a point in it.

You're not going to win any fans here, there are gamers and collectors here, but few I've seen ever get this preachy about it because it's largely effectively dead media with the exceptional cases of when some company puts them up as free(sorta) downloads as part of their service (like nintendo switch online) or makes a rare and far between re-release collection (like Mario 3D/Allstars) for modern system retail.

What you're failing to grasp here there are two issues and you're conflating both.

1. Vintage bootleg games where the bootlegger and original company no longer make them hurts no one, not directly and not by some manufactured proxy as they're lost/dead/unsold media only had by resellers/scalpers so IP holder gets nothing.

2. Modern bootleg games where the bootlegger still makes them.  This one you have a case, in the exception of the game still being offered by a licensing deal(piko, lrg, etc) or for sale/free offering (super mario 3d allstars/switch online services.)

I'd agree with you on point two, but point one...good luck finding anyone to agree on that.

I may sound preachy, but only because I feel passionate about issues of software piracy and IP theft in particular.  I merely took a stand and stated my opinions on a very polarizing issue. Hard to believe in this day and age, huh? Someone who is actually willing to take a stand on a matter of consequence.  But I am not trying to change anyone. I am not about imposing my beliefs on others, nor am I motivated to diminish your argument by taking it apart on a point by point basis as you have now done. I believe there is plenty of room on this forum for multiple viewpoints, including yours.

I've said all I am going to say about this issue, and I shall now abandon this thread for good.  The OP has long since sold his games, and this lingering thread is now showing all the signs of turning ugly. And nobody wants that. 

Do have a great day!

-Ben

Hard to believe?  Not really.  Finally in recent months/last years time people have been more and more pushing back against the types of clowns that will try and erase ones existence for not agreeing and watching those meltdowns online are a real source of amusement as it's overdue. :)

We're good, and yeah I own them now, so it all ended up well in the end.  I got where you're coming from, and that's from someone who used to work in that industry then after the related media for a time and still has family in that industry who works as a producer.  I get there are stakes being set and jobs on the line, but there are differences between A and B but some people just get hot and that's that.

1 hour ago, Tanooki said:

Hard to believe?  Not really.  Finally in recent months/last years time people have been more and more pushing back against the types of clowns that will try and erase ones existence for not agreeing and watching those meltdowns online are a real source of amusement as it's overdue. :)

We're good, and yeah I own them now, so it all ended up well in the end.  I got where you're coming from, and that's from someone who used to work in that industry then after the related media for a time and still has family in that industry who works as a producer.  I get there are stakes being set and jobs on the line, but there are differences between A and B but some people just get hot and that's that.

Agreed, I have IP and know how it feels when someone rips off your hard work, but at the same time, I try to contextualize things rather than just looking at things from a black / white viewpoint. As mentioned in the video, entities such as Konami were even involved in the whole mess back in the day, likely for the sake of getting people familiar with their brand. I guess what all my entrepreneuring has taught me is that people who steal a product (i.e. software, digital music, etc) likely weren't going to be a paying customer anyway, so the damage and loss of sales is not necessarily what we may think it to be. Anyways, I'm with Tanooki on this one - if these were modern items my feelings would be quite different, but they are historical artifacts from a time long gone by.

As mentioned in an earlier post in Taiwan no one buys bootleg stuff anymore, you don't even see it. Even at the culture markets and what not, everyone is selling official cartridges, and these are also being used at retrogaming conventions, etc., despite the majority of the locals not having access to such official cartridges as children or young adults due to financial reasons. Now everyone buys and uses official items though, as now people can afford them.

If some regions decided against allowing the sale of bootleg games, yet the locals (aside from the rich) couldn't afford originals, I reckon such regions really wouldn't even be gaming regions at all in today's society. So in that way, we waded through some IP theft playing the long game, knowing that we could reach new customers and access a new market once the country develops and salaries increase. 

• Thanks 1