IGNORED

130xe - no sound

xrbrevin

Hi,

I hope someone can assist, i have a shabby 130xe that is reliable but it has no sound out of the monitor socket (just thought: i will have to try the RF modulator..)

anyhoo, heres what ive done so far:

desoldered pokey - it works fine in my 600xl :)

desoldered LM358 (U1) - also works fine in my 600xl.

metered up all the associated resistors (as specified in sams computerfacts) - R3 showed no reading. great! - or so i thought. i replaced it but sadly no change...

desoldered 2x electrolytic caps to isolate out the SIO audio in: C22 C18 - still no audio so i put them back in.

confirmed continuity between LM358 (U1) and modulator left pin, associated resistors: R8 R10 etc and monitor port audio pin - all ok

I get a voltage from pin 37 of the pokey and there is continuity from here to capacitor C17

im wondering if an electrolytic cap is bad..

will check modulator audio now and report back

..no audio via modulator :/

fitted 1x of the caps (C50) but still no sound

however, i spotted an anomaly - 3x resistors are blue: see image (ignore the one on the left, i fitted this the other day).

i metered them up and they are all 75ohm! (someone's been meddling....) they should be:

R53: 100ohm

R204: 47ohm

R202: 180ohm

so there is a possible solution - ive ordered new ones. fingers crossed!!

post-38211-0-85895700-1530359054_thumb.jpg

fitted 1x of the caps (C50) but still no sound

however, i spotted an anomaly - 3x resistors are blue: see image (ignore the one on the left, i fitted this the other day).

i metered them up and they are all 75ohm! (someone's been meddling....) they should be:

R53: 100ohm

R204: 47ohm

R202: 180ohm

so there is a possible solution - ive ordered new ones. fingers crossed!!

Did you look at a schematic to see what those resistors are for? I'm not super-familiar with the internals of the 130XE, but that seems like an awful specific set of changes from stock, so I've got to wonder why someone changed them. From a quick review of the 130XE SAM'S COMPUTERFACTS on AtariMania, those are all video circuit components. Unless one of them is shorting a nearby audio component or audio trace, changing them will have nothing to do with your audio issue.

Rather, I'd suggest you get hold of a schematic and start tracing audio lines from POKEY to the monitor jack until you find the problem. Page 10 of the SAM'S COMPUTERFACTS has details for audio output troubleshooting.

cheers for the advice.

im also intrigued to know why someone may have changed these resistors. I'll research their purposes to get an idea.

im using sams computerfacts but im struggling for a keyboard to input the basic audio command! the one i have has intermittent mylar issues so unfortunately ive not been able to follow the guidance to the letter.

i have traced the signal from POKEY pin 37 and the associated components are within their ratings - 1 resistor (R3) gave no rating so i replaced this (the blue one on the left in the image). i ought to re-check just to verify the results tho.

i think i should get a logic probe really, its worth having one anyway

That cap to GND in front of R53 and R204 looks mangled. I don't think it's part of the audio circuit though.

Worth checking for a dead short to GND on one of the audio caps.

yep and make sure cap cases aren't touching legs of components they are partially covering as well...

fitted the 3x non-polarised electrolytic caps and no joy...

decided to compare voltages with my 65xe and found that C17 (the first cap after the pokey sound output) had 2v more on the left side. swapped the cap - also no joy (killed the cap putting it back in the 65xe! :( gah!)

decided to compare resistor readings in situ with the 65xe. R11 didnt read up as 2.2k on either board (obviously some draw from neighbouring component(s)) but they also didnt match!. i rooted around and found a new one - fitted it and instant proper sound on the 130xe!! Jackpot - its not a spare part any more :)

of note: the removed R11 reads nothing and it has no visible damage. cheeky little beggar...

many thanks again for your assistance!

• Like 1