IGNORED

EGM's a bunch of jerks!

Ze_ro

Of course, this comes as no surprise to me to find yet more evidence that the guys who write for this crappy magazine are idiots... but while reading through an old EGM that I had (April '93, Vol 6, Iss 4), in the coming soon list, it lists the following three Jaguar games:

Virtua Pong 64 (Vay Porwhere Games)

Adventure 199X (Software R-U)

Yar's Revenge 2 (Fuldigen Soft)

Christ! What a bunch of asses! :x I can't believe people took this rag seriously at one time!

--Zero

Of course, this comes as no surprise to me to find yet more evidence that the guys who write for this crappy magazine are idiots... but while reading through an old EGM that I had (April '93, Vol 6, Iss 4), in the coming soon list, it lists the following three Jaguar games:

Christ! What a bunch of asses! :x I can't believe people took this rag seriously at one time!

--Zero

April Fools huh? That was before the Jags official release, so they didn't have a "bad" opinion of it yet. In fact, they were all for it until the deep pockets of Sega and Sony got ahold of them. I think they were just being funny....no ill will....at least not yet. 2 years later it's a different story.

--Zero

Jay is right. it sounds like a joke. When the Jag did come out, they were mostly positive about it. It was a significant step up from the SNEs and GENESIS and costed under 1/2 of the 3DO price.

April Fools huh? That was before the Jags official release, so they didn't have a "bad" opinion of it yet. In fact, they were all for it until the deep pockets of Sega and Sony got ahold of them. I think they were just being funny....no ill will....at least not yet. 2 years later it's a different story.

--Zero

Jay is right. it sounds like a joke. When the Jag did come out, they were mostly positive about it. It was a significant step up from the SNEs and GENESIS and costed under 1/2 of the 3DO price.

yEAH i have to agree egm is now a rag magazine.I have read the magazine since fabio was on the cover( yes FABIO was on the cover of egm) number 2 if not mistaken. And over the years it has gone downhill, more apparent within the last few years. Since the popularity of it has grown, also has bias opnions. I am sorry but they are pretty bias ( they love there ps2, and always compare games to the ps2 version) . I used to love a magazine called computer and videogames? Hope I got that one right, been so long since I have seen it sold.I even heard it shut down? maybe someone can clarify if it has. You also have to remember they make alot of money off the big 3 just off advertising alone, so to slam a game,( which you just took x amount of dollars for a full page ad) would be like biting the hand that feeds you.

I always thought EGM was crap. I can't believe they are still in business. GameFan had a great layout in it's magazine but it was biased as hell. NeXt Generation I liked, although they seemed a little biased. VideoGames magazine I also liked, and they seemed a little more fair in their reviews. I heard that Next Generation and Gamefan went out of business. I am kinda sorry the Next went out of business, but not Gamefan. They didn't have much integrity to me.

I still think Next Generation was by far the best gaming magazine ever. They weren't always flowers and roses about the Jag, but they more than gave it a fair shot, and at least appeared to be honest with their reviews. Hell, what other magazine had not one, but TWO feature articles on Atari? I still mourn their passing.... :sad:

I personally think EGM was and is the only mag worth reading, sure there is some reviews and opinions that i dont agree with but as a whole, I think they are the best out there. GameFan was a joke (a bad game would still get at least 70) Videogames was biased in my opinion, Next Gen had a lot of people from Game Players mag and they were brutally biased (take a look at their hatred for 2d games for example when 3d games came out) GamePro i guess was ok but i stopped reading that since 97. It seems like you guys dont like EGM because you didnt like what they said about the system or whatever kinda like that tonymontana guy. But all in all, its just a difference in opinion

I still think Next Generation was by far the best gaming magazine ever. They weren't always flowers and roses about the Jag, but they more than gave it a fair shot, and at least appeared to be honest with their reviews. Hell, what other magazine had not one, but TWO feature articles on Atari? I still mourn their passing....  :sad:

Next Gen was good for a while, in their beginning. But evetually they became just like the rest...biased! I did like their layout and had more content and less flash. But as soon as they stop giving the Jaguar any respect, I stopped reading them.

I think Gamefan was one of the few who stuck with the Jaguar as long as they could.

All the rest are not good enough to recycle for toilet paper! Everyone of them are all biased! Just look at who dominates the ads the most and you see who they favor.

Not saying that Atari didn't contribute to their own demise, but the magazines had a huge impact on its survival.

My opinion is that most of the people who write for those magzines are people who couldn't make it in the video game industry. In fact they probably couldn't get the game tester job!

That's my two angry cents!

Glenn

My opinion is that most of the people who write for those magzines are people who couldn't make it in the video game industry.  In fact they probably couldn't get the game tester job!

That's my two angry cents!

Glenn

Are you saying people who write about movies are people who couldnt make it in the movie industry or people who write about cars couldnt get into the automotive industry? Its opinion and not everybody is gonna agree with it. Think of it the other way around, if they were praising the Jag all the time giving it what you call "unbiased" reviews the games would all get 9's or whatever and Kasumi Ninja or Checkered Flag would get 7's right? There would be alot of people saying how stupid they are, they are too biased they love the Jag too much. Its absurd its because most people on here are Pro-Jag so of course they arent gonna like what people say about the system right?

Are you saying people who write about movies are people who couldnt make it in the movie industry or people who write about cars couldnt get into the automotive industry?

Nope, not implying anything like that with other industries. Just expressing my disrespect for them. But then, I've never taken advice from movie reviewers either.

Your right, it's their opinion. But when they just consistently go out of their way to bash a system to death...even today...then they just don't deserve any respect.

Checkered Flag defintely deserves any bad press it gets.

If there was anything I was doing on my last post it was just some venting. And yes, I'm very biased in favor of the Jaguar.

Its absurd because most people on here are Pro-Jag so of course they arent gonna like what people say about the system right?

Point taken!

At least I don't waste my money anymore on the gaming magzines.

Glenn

I am not sure if it was EGM or Gamepro I was thinking of. I get those two confused. It's been a couple years. Which magazine was 75% advertisements? I don't think Gamefan stuck with the Jag very long at all. Hell, they were pretty much barefaced liars at the end there. I thought VideoGames and Next Generation were the only mags to give the Jag a fair shake.

I am not sure if it was EGM or Gamepro I was thinking of. I get those two confused. It's been a couple years. Which magazine was 75% advertisements? I don't think Gamefan stuck with the Jag very long at all. Hell, they were pretty much barefaced liars at the end there.  I thought VideoGames and Next Generation were the only mags to give the Jag a fair shake.

lol, what the heck are you talking about? Gamefan was probably the only mag that ever supported the Jag for a long period of time. I know this because I read it cover to cover for years. They also were the least biased toward any systems imo because they always gave every system a fair shake including underdogs such as the Jag, 3DO, Saturn, PC-FX, Virtual Boy, NGPC etc... Of course they complained about things like not enough Jag games coming out but that's not biased it's just facts. They gave the deserved praise to some Jag games released even as it was on it's death bed so to speak including Attack of the Mutant Penguins, Battlemorph, Battlesphere and Hyperforce, and even the Jamma arcade stick! They always had way less advertisements than the other mags, way better paper, and WAY better editorials and screenshots. There reviews were way more honest than the rest of the industry which probably led to their demise. They had three reviewers for every game and many times you would see vastly different opinions on even high profile games such as FF8. Whereas EGM reviewers seem to have a roundtable discussion when they review games lol, like 90% of the games reviewed are all reviewed by the 3 reviewers within 1 point in alot of cases (i.e. 10 9.0 9.5) Anyway, as you can see Gamefan was my favorite mag and I was sad to see it go, I just don't understand why you think they were "barefaced liars" in the end? Please explain?

I used to read GamePro a lot... it wasn't great, but it was sure better than EGM. Even when I was 10, I could tell that EGM wasn't worth the paper (The only reason I have EGM's is because I bought a huge load of magazines off a guy for $10 a while back). I only have maybe 1 or 2 GameFan issues, but it seems like a decent magazine. They gave Doom and Ultra Vortex a decent amount of coverage, which was good to see. GameFan was also one of the few places I saw give Blue Lightning a good review too... I always thought that game was underrated.

It's worth pointing out that in that same issue of EGM, they have an article about the "upcoming" Konix Multisystem :roll: At least they didn't hype it up... they were quite skeptical.

--Zero

Ah yes gamepro, i used to read it along time ago, wasnt to bad, but after the whole let have a blow out issue for half life on the dreamcast , and then not have the game released didnt leave a good taste in my mouth( I had money in hand on the supposed launch date and was denied !). I think the best opinions are the people who actually have to spend x amount of dollars for the game.Unlike most of these mags where they get a free this , that and everything else just to play a frickin game. For me when I am torn whether to buy a game, i just go to gamefaqs and see if there are any reviews on the game from other gamers. If there are enough you eventually get an idea of what the game is really like. Thanx to the 1 and zeros and the good ole tcp/ip you can now spread ur message to everyone.

I am not sure if it was EGM or Gamepro I was thinking of. I get those two confused. It's been a couple years. Which magazine was 75% advertisements? I don't think Gamefan stuck with the Jag very long at all. Hell, they were pretty much barefaced liars at the end there.  I thought VideoGames and Next Generation were the only mags to give the Jag a fair shake.

lol, what the heck are you talking about? Gamefan was probably the only mag that ever supported the Jag for a long period of time. I know this because I read it cover to cover for years. They also were the least biased toward any systems imo because they always gave every system a fair shake including underdogs such as the Jag, 3DO, Saturn, PC-FX, Virtual Boy, NGPC etc... Of course they complained about things like not enough Jag games coming out but that's not biased it's just facts. They gave the deserved praise to some Jag games released even as it was on it's death bed so to speak including Attack of the Mutant Penguins, Battlemorph, Battlesphere and Hyperforce, and even the Jamma arcade stick! They always had way less advertisements than the other mags, way better paper, and WAY better editorials and screenshots. There reviews were way more honest than the rest of the industry which probably led to their demise. They had three reviewers for every game and many times you would see vastly different opinions on even high profile games such as FF8. Whereas EGM reviewers seem to have a roundtable discussion when they review games lol, like 90% of the games reviewed are all reviewed by the 3 reviewers within 1 point in alot of cases (i.e. 10 9.0 9.5) Anyway, as you can see Gamefan was my favorite mag and I was sad to see it go, I just don't understand why you think they were "barefaced liars" in the end? Please explain?

I meant 'at the end there' referring to the Jag's life, not the publications life. Take for instance their review of NBA Jam for the Jag. That was a barefaced lie. Although I can't remember specifics, the review said it was worse than the SNES version. At that point, I put the mag back on the shelf and walked away. Also their catering to the Playstation, such as Rayman for the Jag and PSX. One of them said "The Playstation version is, of course, superior in every way to the Jaguar version." One of the Rayman PSX previews said the game had voices and singing in it. Something I never heard in the PSX version. Although I used Gamefan as an example, they were nowhere near the worst. I believe that honor is reserved for EGM. Or Gamepro. Still get them two confused.

I meant 'at the end there' referring to the Jag's life, not the publications life. Take for instance their review of NBA Jam for the Jag. That was a barefaced lie. Although I can't remember specifics, the review said it was worse than the SNES version. At that point, I put the mag back on the shelf and walked away. Also their catering to the Playstation, such as Rayman for the Jag and PSX. One of them said "The Playstation version is, of course, superior in every way to the Jaguar version." One of the Rayman PSX previews said the game had voices and singing in it. Something I never heard in the PSX version. Although I used Gamefan as an example, they were nowhere near the worst. I believe that honor is reserved for EGM. Or Gamepro. Still get them two confused.

Well, I have that issue you are talking about and yes one of the reviewers sis state that NBA Jam is comparable to the SNES or something along those lines. I've never played either version so I can't judge that, but I remember one or both of the other reviewers gave it fairly decent scores. And Rayman on the PS has slightly better sounds than the Jag but graphically they are so close it's hard to tell a difference, and they did praise Rayman for the Jag. Anyway, I must say most of the mags today are just trash, page after page of ads and they are focusing more and more on mainstream games.

Well, I have that issue you are talking about and yes one of the reviewers sis state that NBA Jam is comparable to the SNES or something along those lines. I've never played either version so I can't judge that, but I remember one or both of the other reviewers gave it fairly decent scores. And Rayman on the PS has slightly better sounds than the Jag but graphically they are so close it's hard to tell a difference, and they did praise Rayman for the Jag. Anyway, I must say most of the mags today are just trash, page after page of ads and they are focusing more and more on mainstream games.

someone ever heard of "enter" ? there is a enter button on youre keyboard :D

What in the world are you talking about?

What in the world are you talking about?

Isn't a 10 page quote followed by one line annoying?

I still cant believe this has gone on this far. yes it was an april fools joke. If you arent sure, take a good HARD look at the name of the company making 'virtua pong 64' if you aren't particularly swift, say it out-loud...

I still cant believe this has gone on this far. yes it was an april fools joke. If you arent sure, take a good HARD look at the name of the company making 'virtua pong 64' if you aren't particularly swift, say it out-loud...

Aw, don't spoil my fun...I was enjoying that :evil:

Stone

Archived