IGNORED

PLATOTerm for Atari - Working out tgi and ser issues.

Thom,

thanks for the "hug" :-)

Please remind me: What do I have to do to test it on real hardware? When using an 850, what should be run on the other side of the serial connection? I'm remebering some "tcpser" program, is this the one to run? With which parameters?

regards,

chris

Yup, hook up a usb to serial adaptor, like this guy:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AHYJWWG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1(I love the blinkenlights)

to an Atari 850 to terminal cable (CX88): (aka null modem)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CX-88-Terminal-Cable-8-bit-Atari-New-800-XL-XE-810-1050/130888382792?hash=item1e798e3948:g:LXkAAOxyHslQ4zp9

Use the attached tcpser, I've patched it to remove the double-IAC bug it has, and have submitted it to Jim Brain and Fozztexx to commit upstream:

tcpser-fozztexx.zip

Hook that up to whatever system you're running tcpser on. I have a Raspberry Pi zero that runs this guy all the time, and run:

tcpser -d /dev/ttyUSB0 -s 1200 -i "&K0"

Replace /dev/ttyUSB0 with whatever your serial device needs to be, cygwin exposes it like /dev/ttyS*

If this is all running as it needs to be, you should see PLATOTerm emit a 'c' ... This is because the splash screen has a spurious echo packet that I did not remove. I left it in there so we could test to make sure the serial port acts sanely.

-Thom

@chris: if you have an sio2pc cable of some sort, you can also abuse it to be an R-Verter cable. Point tcpser to the /dev/ttyXXXX of your sio2pc cable, and have the boot disk load the r-verter driver. It will just work. I test this configuration, as well.

(p.s. RVERTER and APE won't work at the same time.) ;)

-Thom

Edited by tschak909

looks like there is a slight rounding error with the math based multiply, you can see it in checkers, and in a few other small places.

Hmm, yes, could be. The routines work with integers (no "dot-something" numbers), everything after the dot is truncated. So, a "0.9" will become "0", and not "1". Correct rounding will be more complicated. Let me think about this more.If someone else has a solution ready, (s)he is welcome to post it ;-)

• Like 1

Hi Thom,

I had a little bit of time and wanted to try to reproduce the SDX problem locally.

How do I run it? I'm using 6f1feb3dbad9fe823a71403631212 of github.

I guess, "AUTORUN.AR2" is the PLATOterm program. I've set my system in Altirra (running under wine on Linux) to have a 320K Rambo memory extension.

When I'm running AUTORUN.AR2 I'm just getting a "Not enough memory." message from SDX.

How do I do run PLATO with SDX inside Altirra?

regards,

chris

Hi Thom,

I had a little bit of time and wanted to try to reproduce the SDX problem locally.

How do I run it? I'm using 6f1feb3dbad9fe823a71403631212 of github.

I guess, "AUTORUN.AR2" is the PLATOterm program. I've set my system in Altirra (running under wine on Linux) to have a 320K Rambo memory extension.

When I'm running AUTORUN.AR2 I'm just getting a "Not enough memory." message from SDX.

How do I do run PLATO with SDX inside Altirra?

regards,

chris

Try using "X AUTORUN.AR2". The X command is needed in some programs under SDX. It basically turns off the cart, freeing up some RAM.

Yes, and not to come around as completely remote-controlled person (as we say in German), when I posted that I'm going to try the hardware setup "during the next days" I didn't remember then that I won't have the time for it.

But this evening a time frame became available, and I think I've got a better idea in the meantime of how to solve the SDX problem, so I continued there, instead of trying out real hardware or the multiplcation routines.

regards,

chris

Thom,

can you try to link with the attached object file, and not using the patch I've posted before? Does this work with SDX?

This would be a more general solution and also solve the problem with loaded drivers (which is not a problem with your program, since it's quite large).

regards,

chris

irq.zip

Edited by sanny

New alpha test build 20180827 below:

Fixed:

* Prefs works and loads and saves, you can select touch driver and baud rate. Test the touch drivers. e.g. Koalapad

* keys now click in terminal mode

* you can change the background color with SELECT and the up and down arrow keys

* you can change the text intensity with the SELECT and the left and right arrow keys

* colors will be saved in the option preferences.

* Running under SDX is now possible on systems with extended memory due to @sanny's work in relocating IRQ handler.

Newly Borken:

* Prefs do not save under SpartaDOS X for floppy or hard disks.

Enioy,

-Thom

plato.atr

Edited by tschak909
  • Like 1

Short answer. No.

Two reasons,

This needs hardware flow control, and I haven't been able to implement it yet for those things that can support it (MIO and Blackbox. that's it.)

It also needs drastically optimized text output routines to be able to handle the higher bitrate.

I would highly suggest grabbing a Raspberry Pi and plopping tcpser on it. It's infinitely more reliable than any of the Lantronix devices, and infinitely less finicky and broken in implementation. I have lost many hours to Lantronix devices.

-Thom

I just had a user connect to me today and his baud was set to 2400, and mine is locked @ 9600. We didn't drop a single character. We were doing FaceTime on iPhones while testing this. He experienced no obvious buffering pauses and NO dropped characters. We are both using LANTronix devices as modems. And Yes, it was _The_Doctor__.

He is right.