IGNORED

forget Polymega, I can't wait for odroid to run Saturn!

Due to a few random searches about the Polymega I stumbled across these videos from within the last week. Looks like the odroid device is going to run Saturn pretty well in the very near future. Sign me up!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKNefvxoLGI

and I just LOVE what the same guy has done to 3D-print his own Sega Saturn Mini ..... I want one!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SgfE1GlPxQ

• Like 6

For anything 32 bits and above emulation seems the way to go today. Especially considering that one can sometimes upgrade the 3D visuals by neat techniques such as increasing internal resolution. It looks great on PS2 emulation on PC...

For anything 16 bits, we now have multiple FPGA devices for pretty much everything except the Neo Geo, but I wouldn't be suprised if the gap closes soonish.

He keeps saying "it's very playable" which sets off my alarms as meaning "it's nowhere near right"

But this is software emulation on an under-powered device, so I'd expect it not to be great, even when it matures, and terms like 'perfect emulation' start getting thrown about.

At 9:30 in the second vid he claims that there aren't a lot of racers for Sega Saturn, (if that doesn't set alarms off, nothing does) so I don't believe he has enough experience with the system to have a good accuracy reference. I can really see the choppiness in Astal a few seconds later, which isn't even watchable, much less "playable."

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 3

I remember a time when Atari 2600 emulation was "very playable." And it kept improving over the years.

The Saturn is a complicated machine. Being patient and supportive of the emulator author's efforts is the important thing at this point. Personally, I find the demonstrations in these videos very impressive, despite the minor video problems, which are being corrected case-by-case.

I wish they would have shown how Castlevania SOTN plays on current Saturn emulators. :)

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

I laugh so hard at these people saying Saturn emulation is good. It's F***ing awful. I've been a Saturn player since 1995 and still am. I wouldn't touch let along entertain Saturn emulation if I wanted to play a game. I recently tried SSF and yes, it ran a few games but there were frame issues, sound issues and graphical issues. All this on a PC 10 times more powerful than the Odroid.

• Like 2

Isn't gamester kind of a shill, the greasy used car salesman of these dumb review bits up on youtube? I mean there are others, but he's like the go-to that'll say whatever as he gets free stuff.

Mike Kennedy... PolyMega.... this stuff... the list is pretty strong.

• Like 1

I laugh so hard at these people saying Saturn emulation is good. It's F***ing awful. I've been a Saturn player since 1995 and still am. I wouldn't touch let along entertain Saturn emulation if I wanted to play a game. I recently tried SSF and yes, it ran a few games but there were frame issues, sound issues and graphical issues. All this on a PC 10 times more powerful than the Odroid.

No emulator's perfect though...well aside from that one SNES emulator BNES or something like that I think. You just have to ask yourself if the technical issues are enough to ruin playing the game for you.

In my time playing SSF that hasn't been an issue on my front, not since I stopped using the virtual drive and just went to using CDs directly. Sometimes there's a weird issue of the game hanging up but doing a save state and loading it fixes that issue and the game resumes. And from what I've tried in SSF so far the games run pretty well with no framerate issues....then again I'm not trying to run it 4x supersampling 1080p with a bunch of screen effects on.

My PC isn't even all that and doesn't have too big an issue with it.

Mednafen seems to have made quite a few strides on Saturn emu, give it a try, that's what PolyMega is running or well, may as well take Seedi for a spin:

https://seedisystem.com/seedi-windows-beta

(it should wrap Mednafen pretty nicely)

Mednafen seems to have made quite a few strides on Saturn emu, give it a try, that's what PolyMega is running or well, may as well take Seedi for a spin:

https://seedisystem.com/seedi-windows-beta

(it should wrap Mednafen pretty nicely)

I should take a look at this. Maybe it can surprise me? I just know I'll be expecting too much from it though. I'm such a big Saturn fan plus I know even PlayStation emulation can be a little iffy at times.

Maybe also check your configuration setup? Look if you're using a platter drive; that combined w/ ISOs for some emulators like Saturn ones might not be ideal. Wouldn't know, I abandoned those damn things years ago for the SSD revolution.

I have SSD drives in all of my PCs for the main drive but do use standard drives for bulk storage. Saturn emulation though I use real game discs since I own them all.