IGNORED

Firmware update 6.0.0 and online service now active

eightbit

I was originally going to do the family membership, but I don't have eight switches in my household (just two) and I didn't want to chunk down $35 right now. I had some gold coin credit ($4) and purchased one year single membership for $16.

It is exactly what they said it was going to be. Cloud saves work. I finally backed up my Odyssey save which makes me feel better. After subscribing you are able to download a NES app that launches to a screen full of NES game boxes with some select games. Very generic feel to it, but it works and the NES games load instantly. It also supports cloud saves. And, the CRT filter is plain crap! I did not try any online modes, but they are there. I will give it a whirl tomorrow most likely after some people sign up :)

It is what it is. I just started getting into Splatoon 2 and online turf war which I find a whole heck of a lot of fun, so I did not want to lose the ability to play online. But, it is nothing special. Being able to play some NES games when I am bored I guess is something, but it feels like that was just thrown in to help people justify the price that they now have to pay to play online.

I guess by now you can tell that I am not "mind blown" by the service, but, its only $20...and it keeps me online, saves my ever so precious Odyssey (and some other) saves to the cloud, and I get to play Balloon Fight on it. :roll:

I guess it is a matter of expectation with some things. I expected from the get go (from the point I purchased the Switch) that I could just back up saves to the microSD card. I really didn't even think twice about this not being an option. I thought it was the reason I had to add a microSD card. But no. It could have been, but why not make something as simple as backing up your game save into a cash grab venture? Yeah, that is what happened here.

I have no problem paying for online play, and the price per year is fair. I appreciate some NES games being thrown in for good measure. And I am happy to have SOME way of backing up my save. But I really wish I could have just backed up my save locally and saved it....and I wish I could have just paid for the NES stuff and kept them permanently.

I am squabbling of course as I did buy in to it, but whatever.

Edited by eightbit

Well, almost exactly what they said when you factor in the almost 100% price increase over the original price tag they announced. Plus you're going to be hit and miss for cloud saves as not every switch game will be able to use it.

As for me, if I end up getting it, it'll probably depend entirely on the types and frequency of discounts in the store you can get. I wouldn't mind putting down 35 dollars for a year if I could very quickly recover the cost from game savings. (a mere 10% off or something ain't going to make me run and jump on board mind you. If I have to spend 350 bucks to get that 35 recovered, it ain't going to be worth it.)

It installed fast, both the update, then the controller updates, and the NES tool as well. Not bad at all and for the price it seems a fitting service.

I am wondering what it takes it to cloud back up stuff. It did like 2 games, no wit's just on waiting to backup... while just waiting. Maybe they're being server blasted or I missed something. You know I do agree it's about expectation. And all I expected was nothing but the things on the site, no surprises, nothing better than the basics listed. Only the discounts to come are the question mark, and who knows freebies could occur on rare chance as they used to do that too but would make more sense under a pay account. I think for what it is and only at $20 it delivers.

I did charge the 8bitdo nes30pro up I have, felt like I was using a dogbone controller playing the games so no need to feel a reason to blow $60 on controllers if anyone does and should find that a bit stupid.

Edited by Tanooki

Has anyone figured out how or where to purchase the exclusive NES controllers? My Son and I looked everywhere we could think of after signing up, but no such luck.

The only place to get them is through the Nintendo website. https://nesc.nintendo.com/nintendo-entertainment-system-controllers

Personally I'd read the fine print before ordering them. If you stop subscribing to Nintendo online they become paper weights and 8bitdo sells similar controllers.

• Like 2

The only place to get them is through the Nintendo website. https://nesc.nintendo.com/nintendo-entertainment-system-controllers

Personally I'd read the fine print before ordering them. If you stop subscribing to Nintendo online they become paper weights and 8bitdo sells similar controllers.

Thanks for the link, I could find nothing linking to that from any of their pages so I appreciate it. I am seeing these now as more a collectible item as opposed to functional if they are limited to the NES games only. As the Switch is my Son's console, I'll talk to him about them and make sure he understands that they'll only work with the retro games.

I like the look of the 8BITDO N30 Pro controller and it may appeal to him more than the NES ones. He's been asking to get one of the Switch Pro controllers but these (N30) look like a better option (plus he can use them with his phone & Chromebook).

I like the look of the 8BITDO N30 Pro controller and it may appeal to him more than the NES ones. He's been asking to get one of the Switch Pro controllers but these (N30) look like a better option (plus he can use them with his phone & Chromebook).

I use a NES30Pro, looks like the NES original, feels and layout like the top loader style with a bit extra yet with it's comfort. I tried playing it last night using that and it felt natural.

Yes in the system settings area, the whole space for data changes it up a bit with the cloud section. The base screen you turn on and scroll around, no. I haven't gone into the shop since the update, haven't in a long time as the last couple items I just paypal'd through the website on my laptop.

The console forces a folder system of sorts. Once you hit 12 squares a new item on the far right (it should be on the left for ease) pops up called All Software. You now get a bunch of mini tiles 6 across and ? down as you need it to roll into. I don't see a way to fix that as I would.

Now interestingly enough the cloud data maybe due to so many trying it now is not acting well, it's selectively picking what to back up and not right off as it should auto do this as it defaults to ON. Now if you go into each game, turn it OFF, then turn it back ON it un-grays (activates) the 'back up save data' option. I just did this and it's working on one that didn't get done so I did it to them all and now they're synched for future backup as they're played.

Not quite. They do not become "paperweights". Nintendo proclaims that these are designed for the NES Online service and they "cannot guarantee" that they will work with other games. What I read out of this is that if it works, "hey it works". There may be some titles that the controllers work with off the bat now...who knows. But, I suspect some game devs will add support for these in games that can utilize a NES two button game pad down the road. So, I wouldn't write them off as NES online controllers only.

They are very unique. True NES controllers from Nintendo that charge via the Switch rail system. That is cool. The 8BitDo stuff cannot do that. And, as much as I like the 8BitDo stuff for the quality that this third party company brings to the table...they still are not up to true NES quality no matter what is said...not to mention their controller option for the Switch is nothing near the configuration of the official controller. If it were I may have considered...but no.

Edited by eightbit
  • Like 1

Unfortunately, if you're hoping devs add support... history is not on the side of that. Look no further than the Wii to see games that should have been compatible with the classic controller or GameCube controller not work because... reasons. Nintendo likes to make you use the controller they want you to use.

I was forced to buy the online service today. My girlfriend currently lives about 250 miles away so we both got it to play togethe. Its well worth the $20 though. Comes out to less than $2 a month. Now im checking out these NES controllers.

Whoa....we just figured out how to play NES multiplayer games online together. Thats bad ass. There is lag though which is unfortunate.

Edit: There is a low latency mode to help with the lag. It works pretty good now. Just playing NES games multiplayer online is worth the $20 imo

• Like 1

I have warmed up to the service and can definitely recommend it if you want to back up your saves and play online (who doesn't want to do these?) and the NES stuff is a nice addition. The emulation is actually very very good on the switch. The input delay is next to nothing...at least to me. The NES games feel right in other words. Now they just need to add the ability to remove that border design!

Otherwise, good stuff. It was a no brainer for me for these reasons:

1. Needed to back up my Odyssey save as I have over 700 moons!

2. I really got into Splatoon 2 and online Turf War is what I do when I get out of work

3. NES games on my Switch are a cool addition especially with online play

4. $20 a year is not $60 a year :)

Well, those are my reasons. And, I do have those NES controllers on order just because they are awesome.

• Like 1