IGNORED

PlayStation Classic (mini) is coming...............

Can someone please explain Cartwheel to me as if I were a small child? I don't know what it is.

It's yet another loyalty program so they can track you and your purchases. In return, you get some discounts and digital coupons. I believe they even reserved the purchase of the SNES Classic at one time for Cartwheel users. Look what they're doing with the PS Classic - the stores sell it at full price, even though everyone else has dropped the price to $60, then they make you use the Cartwheel app to get it for $60.

• Like 1

Mine was 60 in store too. Did not buy one. But on the website and app I do not see a price match option.

I just asked the guy to match Best Buy, and he pulled out his scanner and opened an app that shows different retailer's prices for the same SKU. He saw that everyone had it (including themselves online) for $59.99, and I told him I had a coupon on the phone and he scanned it from the app. Bam... done. If it was $59.99, I wasn't buying the thing.

I just asked the guy to match Best Buy, and he pulled out his scanner and opened an app that shows different retailer's prices for the same SKU. He saw that everyone had it (including themselves online) for $59.99, and I told him I had a coupon on the phone and he scanned it from the app. Bam... done. If it was $59.99, I wasn't buying the thing.

What coupon on the phone? At target now he says there is no cartwheel deal. And he can match 59.99 from the website but he can not do an additional 40% off. I sjow him the scanned receipt here but he can not do that he said.

Edited by 0078265317

Just some preliminary thoughts on the Playstation Classic. I've only had it for a day.

I managed to find time to tinker with it a little bit today and here are some observations. The game I tried was Pacman World.

Image types..

The Bleemsync instructions recommend converting CD images that have multiple .bin files (aka Redump Org images ) to a single cue/bin. I did notice Bleemsync had trouble dealing with Redump Org style dumps. It would name the game after the first .bin file and attempt to get the SLUS id from all of the other BIN files which are essentially CDDA tracks.

Since my initial attempt did not work (more on this later). As recommented I converted it to a single cue/bin using ISOBUSTER. The game worked fine but there was no music on the title screen. Later on when I took a second stab at the original Redump Org image I was able to get it work correctly (with title screen music).

The trick to doing Redump Org style images is to initially copy over only the .cue file and the first BIN file (01). Rename the first BIN file to match the .cue file name. Run Bleemsync to create the database and hopefully scrape the box art. Rename the first BIN file back to it's original name. Copy over the rest of the BIN files. All should be good.

Just so everyone knows. The underlying emulator ( pcsx_rearmed ) natively supports man y formats.. ( PBP, CHD, cue/bin, redump org, etc ). So one should be able to manage to use them. However Bleemsync is still relatively new so it may be a while before the coder programs it to handle those formats.

USB sticks..

Apparently it is true that the system is fickle about what USB mem sticks it will work with. My initial attempt with a 4 gig stick produced no results. I ended up having to use my 32 gig stick that I use for storing other stuff.

My suggestion. Copy the Bleemsync files over to a mem stick AS IS, run Bleemsync and then try it. If the two "fake" games do not show up on your classic then chances are your mem stick is not going to work. It will be immediately obvious because the system takes a several more seconds to boot when the mem stick is setup properly and compatible. This method will save you time and once you find a compatible mem stick then you can focus on putting disc images on it.

Hopefully in the future someone will figure out how to improve the compatibility.. possibly with better USB mem stick drivers?

Controllers..

The controllers are nice.. but they are the original and lack analog sticks. So any games that need the dual shock are not likely to work. I'm curious as to whether the emulator is capable of recognizing an actual PS3 or PS4 controller. I'll post later when I try.

The emulator is capable of handling analog sticks .. so hopefully someone will figure that one out as well as possibly rumble (less likely).

Savestates..

Internally the emulator is capable of handling 10 savestates. So I personally would recomment using them. However if you hit the "reset" button on the playstation classic system you will have the option to save the state in the 1 slot available to the game select interface. Just do not use the emulators internal "quit" option or the game select interface save state functionality will not work.

Emulator menu..

Bleemsync makes it accessible by hitting Select and Triangle at the same time. The menu options are extensive.. seem to contain everything I would expect to see in pcsxr_reloaded and there even is a little help text at the bottom for many menu options. Pretty handy.

Overall thoughts..

This goes to general thoughts on Sony and this product. How they managed to botch this one is beyond me. Just a few quality control checks and this thing probably would have done better.

1) Whoever decided to replace timing sensitive games with the PAL version ought to be shot.

2) Whoever set the system up so that shell commands ( and programs ) could be run from an attached USB stick ought to be shot.

3) Game selection is abysmal. Especially compared to the NES and SNES classic which have far better selections relative to the available library. Less than half of the games included (depending on your taste) are worth looking at and some of the choices are bizzarre. I know that licensing can make some games hard to include, but really...

4) The quality of the controls seems to be good and the overall package good. It's a shame a few bad choices turned this into a botched mess who's only saving grace is that the hacking community will likely turn this into a better product. LOL

5) How they handle multi disk games is pretty cool. When you need to change the disc just press the "Eject" button on the Playstation Classic system.

That's it for now.

Edited by Shannon
  • Like 2

Yeah I know #2 is kinda self defeating. But my point of view for that one if from Sony's point of view. If they would have fixed the couple minor issues they had, added a better selection of games and plugged that hole. I think the product would have been more successful. But as a person who loves being able to hack these little systems I ain't going to complain.

I just thought it was pretty stupid of them to have a rather large whole in their security. :P

• Like 1

I finally setup mine and played it unmodded for a few hours. I seriously have no idea what all the hate is over this thing. It's fun and the input lag is far less than the NES Classic. The graphics look better on my HDMI monitor than the real PS1 I have hooked up to the same monitor. I played the "horrible PAL games" everyone has been complaining about and they play fine.

Sure, it would have been better if Sony tweaked it more before release, but it's still a solid product. Without modding it's a solid 3/5 or 4/5. The internet dogpile on this is completely undeserved.

• Like 1

I tried hooking up a PS3 controller and got weird results. I didn't complain about a controller not being attached but the only thing that worked were the analog sticks nothing else. :lol: A PS4 controller gave me nothing except an "attach a controller" message. I'm unsure about emulation once in-game. Maybe I'll try that next.

I finally setup mine and played it unmodded for a few hours. I seriously have no idea what all the hate is over this thing. It's fun and the input lag is far less than the NES Classic. The graphics look better on my HDMI monitor than the real PS1 I have hooked up to the same monitor. I played the "horrible PAL games" everyone has been complaining about and they play fine.

Sure, it would have been better if Sony tweaked it more before release, but it's still a solid product. Without modding it's a solid 3/5 or 4/5. The internet dogpile on this is completely undeserved.

https://www.polygon.com/2018/12/3/18123851/playstation-classic-pal-games-emulation

https://www.geek.com/games/the-playstation-classic-is-the-worst-way-to-experience-classic-playstation-games-1763810/

Edited by 0078265317

Undeserved? Hardly, those 2 links above and especially shown off in motion in that DF video linked in the 2nd is all the reason enough to get on them about it without even complaining about the poor choice of most the games on it. The big bit there earlier by Shannon is a pretty nice write up all things considered as it comes off pretty fair.

I just finished setting up a custom game list with the menu hack. Adding scanlines is really nice, that feature should have been available without modding. With the scanlines the PS Classic's graphics look better than my original PS running through a HDMI upscaler.

The automatic BleemSync setup isn't as comprehensive as I hoped. Over half the games I added had to be configured manually. It's not difficult, just tedious and more time consuming than expected. BleemSync is very cool but will be that much better after more game info has been added to their online database.

The PS Classic is definitely better than I expected, however it will not replace my original hardware or even my RetroPie. I was hoping if it would satiate my desire for the PSIO but it has not.

I played mine last night for a bit, fully stock. I was fully prepared for it to suck, based on all the negativity surrounding it. Honestly, it wasn't that bad. Some quick observations:

-Like many have said, the choice of games is strange and mediocre at best. There are some good ones on here, and there's a few decent RPG's, but man, there are so many that should have made the cut!

-The controllers are dead-on perfect repros of the originals. But seriously, leaving Dual Shock off the table is a terrible choice. Also, I plugged one into my Retropie and it fully recognized it! I played some Playstation games on the Retropie with it and it felt perfect.

-I still can't tell if the Retropie plays Playstation games better than the Playstation Classic. I want to say that it does, but I haven't modded mine yet or changed any of the Retroarch settings, so the jury is still out.

I watched the video in the first aforementioned links and... I'll just leave the nitpicking to the nitpickers.. I do find it odd the guy is complaining about sync issues when his own video has audio synch issues after a certain point. :lol: Anywho..

One good point is brought up and that is the PSX Classic's performance is only as good as the emulator that it runs. So with that in mind. I tried out the third Spyro game which is known to have audio sync issues in the opening video and of course the sync issues are there. So pretty much any known glitches with Pcsx_Rearmed will be present on the Playstation Classic. One thing to keep in the back of our minds.. it is likely in the future that it will be possible to replace the built in emulator so any improvements made to Pcsx_Reloaded can be taken advantage of.

The video kind of implied that Pcsx_rearmed was a poor choice of emulators. But outside of PcsXE I do not know of any emulator that is considered better in the emulation department. Sure the retroarch core provides graphical enhancements... but those enhancements also require some hefty hardware as well. I also did not realize that the reason the PSP Playstation emulation was so good is because some of the emulation instructions apparently can be run directly on the PSP hardware. So maybe that explains why they chose to go with emulation. Although it has been pointed out that with pre-existing PSP hardware they might have been able to do better. Again I'll leave that for other people to dwell on.

I noticed that the games are not sorted alphabetically and thus are listed in the order you place them on the memory stick. Hopefully something that will be resolved with future updates to Bleemsynch. In other words it is an issue that should be easily correctable. I guess it depends on the BleemSynch maintainers priorities. Given the great flexibility of hakchi2 CE for the NES/SNES classic. I have high hopes Bleemsynch will eventually turn into a very flexible tool.

I loaded a bunch of other games on there to try. Who knows I may try more games known to have emulator glitches to see how they look. But for now I am enjoying what is there. I'd like to compare the emulation on it to the NES/SNES classic.. but I can't do that until I get an OTG adapter so I can use a larger memory stick.

That is all I have for now..

Now that I messed a bit with mine (both out of box and the softmod), I really only have a few comments.

1. I agree the hate is a bit strong for it. It works well enough for what it is. Not amazing by any degree, but it's not HORRIBLE either.

2. On the flip side, I'm glad I only paid $30ish for it. A full $100 down on this would have made me incredibly disappointed.

3. It's actually a really cool miniaturization of the original PS1. Even the box is made to look like the original box.