IGNORED

ICD Catbox Question

Willard

My concern (with the cartshell design (as others) is that the cables are all forced to do a 90º bend just after exiting the Jag. This looks like it could damage your cables if you were using a JagCD for example.

Other than that, I'll agree it does look nice, and I'm sure it's very useful if you have multiple copis of BS :)

Stone

Look at it this way. If you had a VCR and placed it on top of your TV set and had them both arranged so the displays and controls were facing the viewer, then the cables would have to make a 180 degree bend in order for the two devices to be connected. Why is it that nobody complains that this damages cables?

And if you had a TV with inputs on the front panel, your cables would be making a (gasp!) 360 degree bend!!!!

Stone wrote:  

My concern (with the cartshell design (as others) is that the cables are all forced to do a 90º bend just after exiting the Jag. This looks like it could damage your cables if you were using a JagCD for example.  

Other than that, I'll agree it does look nice, and I'm sure it's very useful if you have multiple copis of BS  

Stone  

Tbird wrote:

Look at it this way. If you had a VCR and placed it on top of your TV set and had them both arranged so the displays and controls were facing the viewer, then the cables would have to make a 180 degree bend in order for the two devices to be connected. Why is it that nobody complains that this damages cables?  

I think Stone means that since the CD uniot has a fairly large overhang he is concerned that the cables would have to go through a VERY TIGHT 90 degree bend. This of course would not be good. And if the TV and VIDEO were very close together so that a similarly tight bend then neither would the 180. Indeed with many of the cables for TV, Satellite, etc one has to be careful to avoid and tight bends in the cable.

Having said that, it looks from the images as though there IS enough distance from the back of the jag to the cables to accomodate the CD unit, so that such a tight bend would not be necessary on the Scatbox and hence not a problem

Thunderbird, i would be placing order for the scatbox right now if i could get the deluxe edition. Also, why can't the scatbox be more cost efficient? If i recall correctly, yhe catbox was only $70, and it was metal plated, and not made out of a modified cart shell. Please don't tell me that I cant get it for that price anymore, cuz i know that there is no more of them being made. Also, are you planning on making a run of cool-looking scatboxes? :D

i wonder why T-bird doesnt make a unlimited runs of scatboxes.

What makes you think I don't have any to sell you right now? I haven't seen you placing any orders.

ofcourse not. i first need the development tools. then i will need 30 more jaguars. as i have 2 working jaguars now.

so i would need to buy 32? scatboxes..... lets just say. for future development :wink:

Thunderbird, i would be placing order for the scatbox right now if i could get the deluxe edition. Also, why can't the scatbox be more cost efficient? If i recall correctly, yhe catbox was only $70, and it was metal plated, and not made out of a modified cart shell. Please don't tell me that I cant get it for that price anymore, cuz i know that there is no more of them being made. Also, are you planning on making a run of cool-looking scatboxes? :D

Because Tom Harker was in the business of designing and building electronics devices for Atari computers for many years. He had stocks of components and tools and connections in the industry for getting good pricing and all that. He had his own in-house circuit assembly equipment and assembly line. He also had software and tools for laying out printed circuits and good facilities for having boards printed.

On the other hand, ScatBox was the very first hardware project from ScatoLOGIC made from scratch. We had to invest in infrastructure, tools, software, parts, etc. We had to contract out assembly and labor.

Also, Catbox came in a plain brown recyled box (an old ICD box inside turned out) with a photocopied 1-page manual. ScatBox comes with a professional full-color box, with professional manual, plus an insert which solves the age-old problem of jag box inserts crushing.

On top of that, ScatBox comes in a stylish enclosure with a full-color faceplate with multi-color LED indicators on it. Catbox is made from a betn piece of sheetmetal with a couple of holes drilled in it and a 2-color silkscreened logo. Big deal.

Doom will do 2 player networking only, in co-op or deathmatch modes, via Jaglink, Catbox, Scatbox, or Jaglink2 (I believe). Although generally the connections are made via "[us] phone cable"

I thought Doom used the 9-pin port on the Catbox rather than the phone line... or can it use either? I've never actually tried networking it, since I don't know anyone else in my city with a Jaguar :(

As for the looks, I'd vote for the Catbox... my only problem with it is how it comes unhooked so easily.

--Zero

Hm, I wonder why everybody has such problems with the catbox.

I mean I can take it off easily but it never slipped off my Jag or something.

Sure you can´t place the Jag anywhere else with the catbox attached but right now it sits on it´s table and I don´t have any problems with it..

Just wondering

Peter

I thought Doom used the 9-pin port on the Catbox rather than the phone line... or can it use either? I've never actually tried networking it, since I don't know anyone else in my city with a Jaguar :(

Not at all sure, I've only networked it over a normal JagLink. I know it will work with a Catbox, but not owning one, I couldnt say which port it'll come out of.

As for the looks, I'd vote for the Catbox... my only problem with it is how it comes unhooked so easily.

Do you own both? People who have used both extensively usually rate the metal beast somewhat lower than you do. You're right that it falls off the back of the Jag all the time though.

Do you own both? People who have used both extensively usually rate the metal beast somewhat lower than you do. You're right that it falls off the back of the Jag all the time though.

I ran a couple of sneaky experiments at JFUK when nobody was watching, and though the Catbox is heavier than the Scatbox, I was able to pick up a Jag with the Catbox attached without it falling off very easily (with the Jag tilted upwards at the front, the catbox stayed very firmly put...maybe this was just an especially hardy specimen). Obviously it's going to put more strain on the connectors carrying around a jag with a Catbox attached than one with a Scatbox, but this is hardly a valid criticism of the Catbox since nobody in their right minds would be doing this anyway (doing it with a Catbox it might land on your foot, and doing it with a Scatbox it would probably break they feel so fragile). At JFUK I also heard more than one report that it was impossible to plug an S-video cable into a Scatbox with a JagCD attached, and it turned out that the cables naturally fell into a 90º bend out of the back of the Scatbox. As above in the thread, it shouldn't be necessary for this to happen (there's enough clearance for most of the cables to come out straight up), but I'd be much more worried about the Scatbox coming unhooked or simply breaking if you tugged a cable by accident. Any accident of this sort is very likely to happen with the cable being pulled away from back of the Jag, and whereas on a Catbox this would almost certainly just rip the cable loose, on a Scatbox there would be a turning force applied with the length of the cable's strain-relief as a lever acting against the pivot of the connectors...seems to me like an excellent way to snap a solder-joint or two on the connectors.

A straw-poll at JFUK showed that in looks the winner is the Catbox, hands-down. Having never seen one 'in the flesh' before I was surprised that it wasn't bigger and more deserving of the 'anvil' criticism. Using the cart cases may look smart when the Scatbox is not in use, but it does restrict you to facing the ports in the troublesome upward direction, and made more than one person comment that you were trying to get rid of an accidental over-order of cart cases while you wait for more EPROMs. Not having the headphone jack, volume control or DSP passthrough were also seen as major drawbacks, since these (along with the video outputs) are the most useful features to the lone gamer without a JagFest-sized network.

I'm not going to buy either as I have no need for them (only 2 Jags, and a SCART cable suits me just fine as far as video goes) but I find it curious that nobody bought the lonely-looking Scatbox on Nick H's table despite having so many unpacked examples to admire in the Jag room. Food for thought, eh?

I did like the transparent area on the label for the LEDs tho, that was pretty nice :D

Stone

I don't know anyone else in my city with a Jaguar :(

Perhaps someone in the ST users' group has one.

And I know that Don Cocozza (of the former 8-bit users' group executive) has said that he still has one in his possession. Sounds like it's time for a little get-together! :)

Well, here's an interesting occurence from JFUK...[pic courtesy of Tyrant, his digicam develops faster than my film one lol]

We seem to have a Catbox hanging almost-unsupported from the back of a Jag, without damaging it in the slightest. This was left in the same position for 3-4 hours with no ill effects to Catbox or Jag. And...what's that it's sitting on? :D

Guess it just goes to show how much use we got out of it at the Fest ;)

And yes, the cart was inside. Ah well, consumer can do what they want with them once they've paid :)

Stone

post-987-1055730393_thumb.jpg

I ran a couple of sneaky experiments at JFUK when nobody was watching, and though the Catbox is heavier than the Scatbox, I was able to pick up a Jag with the Catbox attached without it falling off very easily (with the Jag tilted upwards at the front, the catbox stayed very firmly put...maybe this was just an especially hardy specimen).

I'm sure that if TRY to pick up a Jaguar with a Catbox on it without it falling off that it's possible to do so. The problem is that you have to put in special effort to avoid knocking it off. Plus, I'm pretty sure you did your experiments with no cables attatched. The weight of the Catbox is bad enough, but add the pulling force of cables and you're in for a real treat.

The worst part of the Heavyweight Catbox with cables installed is that it tends to slide off when you move the console horizontally on a table. Slide the jag forward to get at the power connector and the Catbox unplugs because of friction on the table plus cable drag.

Obviously it's going to put more strain on the connectors carrying around a jag with a Catbox attached than one with a Scatbox, but this is hardly a valid criticism of the Catbox since nobody in their right minds would be doing this anyway (doing it with a Catbox it might land on your foot, and doing it with a Scatbox it would probably break they feel so fragile).

Why do I get the impression you are going out of your way to bias the comparison against the Scatbox? Out of all the comments I've received, nobody ever sait it looked "fragile", most people comment on how solid it's built.

I'd also be willing to bet you that if you dropped both a Catbox and a Scatbox from 6 feet high onto a concrete surface that the Scatbox would be undamaged. The Catbox would likely be dented or would smash the knobs/switches/connectors protruding from it.

At JFUK I also heard more than one report that it was impossible to plug an S-video cable into a Scatbox with a JagCD attached

If it wasn't possible to do so, then it would not have had an S-Video output. The S-Video connector was placed under the angled back portion of the JagCD so that it would have clearance. A worst case situation would be to have the S-Video connector touch the back of the CD unit as the cable passed by. If your opinion is that the cable isn't allowed to touch anything then I'm sorry.

and it turned out that the cables naturally fell into a 90º bend out of the back of the Scatbox. As above in the thread, it shouldn't be necessary for this to happen (there's enough clearance for most of the cables to come out straight up)

As noted above, cables coming from one device to another device typically bend in one or more locations. Some people put multiple bends in thier cables and use ty-wrap connectors to bundle them and/or route them through cable channels for a neat appearance. This would not be possible to do without making a bend in the cable, so this point is clearly not a problem.

but I'd be much more worried about the Scatbox coming unhooked or simply breaking if you tugged a cable by accident.  

Any accident of this sort is very likely to happen with the cable being pulled away from back of the Jag

The only thing that is clear is that you seem to have an axe to grind. At this moment I am holding my Jaguar with alpine board and 1 controller up in the air by the video cable plugged into the ScatBox. Nothing is coming apart, and nothing is "breaking".

If you can find a force to apply to the cables which would break the ScatBox, then there would be an equivalent force which could be applied to a cable that would break the Catbox and/or the TV set.

and whereas on a Catbox this would almost certainly just rip the cable loose, on a Scatbox there would be a turning force applied with the length of the cable's strain-relief as a lever acting against the pivot of the connectors...seems to me like an excellent way to snap a solder-joint or two on the connectors.

In other words, you're saying that it's only possible to yank a cable at an angle of 90 degrees to it's connector on a ScatBox, and no other product? Yeah... right. I'd say that you're crazy if you truly believe this. I can pull on cables on a Catbox at 90 degree angles just as easily.

As a matter of fact, you make an interesting point. The Phono jacks on the Catbox use plastic bodies, and would be much more likely to break than the metal bodied connectors on the ScatBox.

A straw-poll at JFUK showed that in looks the winner is the Catbox, hands-down. Having never seen one 'in the flesh' before I was surprised that it wasn't bigger and more deserving of the 'anvil' criticism.

Having never had to suffer with owning one for any length of time, you can't apprrciate how deserving the Catbox is of this metaphor.

Using the cart cases may look smart when the Scatbox is not in use, but it does restrict you to facing the ports in the troublesome upward direction, and made more than one person comment that you were trying to get rid of an accidental over-order of cart cases while you wait for more EPROMs.

I bet you think that these crappy new PCs with USB and Firewire and Audio jacks on the front are crappy too because the cables are all coming out in a direction you're not accustomed to.

Change is good.

Not having the headphone jack, volume control or DSP passthrough were also seen as major drawbacks, since these (along with the video outputs) are the most useful features to the lone gamer without a JagFest-sized network.

Volume controls and headphone jacks are nice, but that gets into territory where someone can sue for hearing damage, and I'm not about to go there. The main purpose for the ScatBox is to provide networking to the people who wanted it. The video and audio connections are bonus features which the lone gamer would most likely benefit from as well (most people I know would rather have an S-Video port than a headphone jack)

And what exactly are you going to plug into the DSP Expension Port? The only thing that ever used it was the JagLink, which is completely replaced by the JagLink port on the ScatBox. The only other thing is the Voice Modem, and there are so few of those that it's not going to matter.

I'm not going to buy either as I have no need for them (only 2 Jags, and a SCART cable suits me just fine as far as video goes) but I find it curious that nobody bought the lonely-looking Scatbox on Nick H's table despite having so many unpacked examples to admire in the Jag room. Food for thought, eh?

Last time I checked, people from Europe could still buy them from the ScatoLOGIC website. It's not like a person at the show would have to buy one on impulse then and there because they were never going to get another chance.

I did like the transparent area on the label for the LEDs tho, that was pretty nice :D

Well, at least you said ONE positive thing about it. Thanks for that much. I just think that you're being overly critical and really reaching for reasons not to like my product because we have had words in the past and I'm not your favorite person.

I challenge all of your criticisms, especially your use of the word "fragile", as the ScatBox is certainly as or more durable than the jaguar or Jag cartridge... yet nobody has ever used the term "fragile" when discussing those items. It just makes me take what you say with some suspicion that you're just bring critical on purpose.

I need a few jaguar games that'll actually use my scatbox when i get one. who the hell would want a scatbox just to play doom? I'd get a jaglink to do that. Thunderbird, why couldnt you make a packin with the scatbox?

-anyone want to sell their aircars for $70? :D

Hello!

I wasn't at the UK-Jagfest, nor do i own a Catbox or Scatbox

but here are my 2 cents for this topic:

1) Scatbox looks fragile:

People prefer metal casings, wouldn't we all trust a M1-tank more than a Formula1-racer?

2) 90°/180° cable-directions:

Of course i would prefer to see cables going out parallel to the ground/table or whereever i have put my device on.

But:

i) I can understand why it isn't done on the Scatbox.

ii) I have devices sitting around me where the cables put into 180°-sockets hang down the table/rack: the cables are bend there the same way as they are on a Scatbox.

3) Devices fitting into the extension-bay of the Jaguar:

Is it correct that neither the CatBox nor the Scatbox have a shell design which fits to the design of the bay? I mean Atari designed the plastic-case of the console in a way to make it impossible to attach a JagLink in a wrong direction (bottom-up, and probably their Video-cables look the same). Do both devices rely on their connections "only" on the card-edge-connector?

3.5) ;-) Thunderbird: You said that that when you move a Jag with Scatbox forwards the Scatbox won't become loose: If i understand "moving" as pulling, does this mean that the rubber feet of the Scatbox fail to do their job?

Regards

Matthias

I need a few jaguar games that'll actually use my scatbox when i get one. who the hell would want a scatbox just to play doom? I'd get a jaglink to do that. Thunderbird, why couldnt you make a packin with the scatbox?

Let me get this straight... I devote my free time produce a couple Jaguar products each year and it's up to me to produce packins as well? What ever happened to other Jaguar developers???

P.S. Last time I checked, all Jaguar games used Audio and Video, so you could use a ScatBox with those too!

People prefer metal casings, wouldn't we all trust a M1-tank more than a Formula1-racer?

That depends on what you're trying to do. I'd rather be in an Formula 1 racer if I were trying to cross a deep chasm with only a wooden bridge. Wouldn't you?

And what if we were running an F1 race? Which would you rather enter as your vehicle? (No, you can't shoot or run over the other cars, because you'd be disqualified)

All this "fragile" talk is malarchy... if you drop the "invincible" Catbox and it lands on the switches or knobs protruding from the back, I guarantee you that they will snap off.

Is it correct that neither the CatBox nor the Scatbox have a shell design which fits to the design of the bay? I mean Atari designed the plastic-case of the console in a way to make it impossible to attach a JagLink in a wrong direction (bottom-up, and probably their Video-cables look the same). Do both devices rely on their connections "only" on the card-edge-connector?

It's physically impossible to plug a ScatBox in upside down.

3.5) ;-) Thunderbird: You said that that when you move a Jag with Scatbox forwards the Scatbox won't become loose: If i understand "moving" as pulling, does this mean that the rubber feet of the Scatbox fail to do their job?

No. The feet do their job wonderfully.

The Job of the rubber feet is to protect whatever you place the ScatBox on top of from scratches. The Catbox has a great way of doing this (using a flat steel bottom with screws protruding). The feet on the ScatBox indeed protect the surface below and provide enough friction so the ScatBox won't slide around and pop off like the metal Catbox does. But there's a limit to the friction a rubber foot provides and this allows the ScatBox/Jaguar combo to be moved together without trouble.

The latter has more to do with the fact that the ScatBox was engineered to let the connectors on the back fully seat into the Jaguar. The Catbox on the other hand has a lot of loose mechanical tolerances and therefore the connectors from one catbox to another can vary in insertion depth by over a millimeter, not allowing some of them to fully seat.

Well, my PC died while I was posting this last, so I'll try and remember all my points...

I'm sure that if TRY to pick up a Jaguar with a Catbox on it without it falling off that it's possible to do so. The problem is that you have to put in special effort to avoid knocking it off. Plus, I'm pretty sure you did your experiments with no cables attatched. The weight of the Catbox is bad enough, but add the pulling force of cables and you're in for a real treat.

Actually this was with cables attached; I didn't want to disturb the network linkages.

[The worst part of the Heavyweight Catbox with cables installed is that it tends to slide off when you move the console horizontally on a table. Slide the jag forward to get at the power connector and the Catbox unplugs because of friction on the table plus cable drag.

I didn't try that, but I'll take your word for it.

[Out of all the comments I've received, nobody ever said it looked "fragile", most people comment on how solid it's built.

I'm not talking about the build quality, more the weight. I guess it's a subconscious thing, but to me the Catbox felt more solid just because of the extra weight of the case.

I'd also be willing to bet you that if you dropped both a Catbox and a Scatbox from 6 feet high onto a concrete surface that the Scatbox would be undamaged. The Catbox would likely be dented or would smash the knobs/switches/connectors protruding from it.

That may well be true. But I was talking more about the disconcerting feeling I get when handling expensive plastic items that I'll crack/bend/split them in some way, which was obviously not going to happen with the Catbox :) I probably should have phrased that better, apologies.

If it wasn't possible to do so, then it would not have had an S-Video output. The S-Video connector was placed under the angled back portion of the JagCD so that it would have clearance. A worst case situation would be to have the S-Video connector touch the back of the CD unit as the cable passed by. If your opinion is that the cable isn't allowed to touch anything then I'm sorry.

That's not what I said - their reports were that the strain relief of the cable(and hence the bit that won't bend) extended up past the height of the back of the JagCD. Maybe some suppliers use longer strain relief than others, but I don't know since no-one was using S-video with a JagCD.

[As noted above, cables coming from one device to another device typically bend in one or more locations. Some people put multiple bends in thier cables and use ty-wrap connectors to bundle them and/or route them through cable channels for a neat appearance.  This would not be possible to do without making a bend in the cable, so this point is clearly not a problem.

Obviously interconnects must change direction, but the point I was making was that having the cable forced to bend 90º at the top of the strain relief could be detrimental to cheaper cables (or even more expensive ones with repeated use). If you're certain this isn't a problem then fine, but a lot of people commented on it so I guess an entry in the FAQ could help here.

The only thing that is clear is that you seem to have an axe to grind. At this moment I am holding my Jaguar with alpine board and 1 controller up in the air by the video cable plugged into the ScatBox. Nothing is coming apart, and nothing is "breaking".

Well, to quote yourself from earlier:

I'm sure that if TRY to pick up a Jaguar with a Catbox on it without it falling off that it's possible to do so. The problem is that you have to put in special effort to avoid knocking it off.

I don't see how this is any different...

If you can find a force to apply to the cables which would break the ScatBox, then there would be an equivalent force which could be applied to a cable that would break the Catbox and/or the TV set.

I bet you think that these crappy new PCs with USB and Firewire and Audio jacks on the front are crappy too because the cables are all coming out in a direction you're not accustomed to.  

Change is good.

Half right, half wrong. I heartily approve of the front-mounted USB/firewire ports as they're much more accessible to plug things into temporarily, as is frequent with this kind of port. I think it's a terrible idea to have speaker connections on the front though, primarily because they get in the way of everything else on the front of the PC, and there's no real reason to have them in an easily accessible place (who changes their entire speaker setup with any degree of regularity?!). Having USB ports solely on the front of a PC is also a crap idea because there are some you want permanently connected without a huge mess of cables everywhere: to use a personal example, for the link between one of my rear-mounted USB ports and the hub built into my monitor. Change is only good when properly thought-out and correctly implemented - for an apt demonstration of this have a quick laugh at the DAB system.

Since CatBox does have a kicking headphone amplifier, we must warn you that using headphones at high volumes for extended periods of time can induce headaches, nausea and -- worst of all -- permanent hearing damage just as any high-volume audio source can. It is best to plug in your headphones and turn on your video-game system before they are on your ears in order to safely avoid the sudden and painful impact of high dB sound. While we consider this common sense, the American way requires us to warn you.

Problem solved.

I challenge all of your criticisms, especially your use of the word "fragile", as the ScatBox is certainly as or more durable than the jaguar or Jag cartridge... yet nobody has ever used the term "fragile" when discussing those items. It just makes me take what you say with some suspicion that you're just bring critical on purpose.

The point I made on this wasn't very clear, I'll admit, but people's expectations of the product are as important as the final thing (as we saw with BS) and playing to them by using a different design would probably have stopped people complaining. All of these problems stem from using the cart cases though (as you're restricted to the current connector location and can't make the cart fit into the 'bay' in the back of the Jag snugly, as Matthias said), so maybe a different case would have been better overall for our market. Ah well...

Stone

Hello!

That depends on what you're trying to do. I'd rather be in an Formula 1 racer if I were trying to cross a deep chasm with only a wooden bridge. Wouldn't you?

And what if we were running an F1 race? Which would you rather enter as your vehicle? (No, you can't shoot or run over the other cars, because you'd be disqualified)

All this "fragile" talk is malarchy... if you drop the "invincible" Catbox and it lands on the switches or knobs protruding from the back, I guarantee you that they will snap off.

That's exactly my point: People say "it looks fragile", nobody said it would be fragile. People tend to judge from the appearance of a product. I bet you would even find people saying that a Deluxe-Scatbox will break more easily than a normal: Because the transparent shell remembers them on glass.

It's physically impossible to plug a ScatBox in upside down.

I asked the above to prepare this statement:

I expect a device relying only on the edge-connector becoming more easily loose than a device which has a shell that fits into the connector-bay of the Jaguar-console.

Regards

Matthias

Archived