IGNORED

using the SDRIVE-MAX in conjunction with other drives

SS

.....maybe it just damaged the part of the SD that keeps the directory of its contents.....but even so, it should never be able to do this....

Perhaps you just got a defective SD card rather than the SD-MAX damaging it? I have certainly had SD cards go belly up on me for seemingly no reason before.

• Like 3

I don't think it's defective. It would be a REAAAAAALLLY big coincidence that it has worked flawlessly UNTIL I started experimenting with the Sdrive and 1050 combi....

I tried a LOT of things....so much could have go wrong. Remember I have a 1050 with Megaspeedy....don't think so....but maybe that could be an issue....

But mostly I simply think 0.9 screwed up.

I tried DOS 2.5, Smartdos, SDX (from U1MB) and Copy 2000 to do a lot of copying/formatting whatever....still shouldn't hurt anything more than an image file IMHO....

Anyway...hopefully I have some time to update the firmware this weekend...

So what does the "1050" setting on the SDrive-MAX do? I ask because I had the very briefest of success in getting my real 1050 and SD-MAX to communicate with each other. I connected the two devices directly and enabled the SDrive-MAX's "1050" setting. I powered the SD-MAX via the SIO port rather than external power. I was both able to format a floppy disk and then write an ATR to the floppy. Then I messed around with a few things again (like trying the connection through the hub) and cocked the whole thing up. Even when I reconnected through the direct daisy-chained connection, I was unable to replicate my one time success.

So what does the SDrive-MAX's "1050" setting do for me exactly? Was enabling it related to my brief read/write success?

post-1863-0-35513600-1543784356.jpg

Edited by SS

So what does the "1050" setting on the SDrive-MAX do? I ask because I had the very briefest of success in getting my real 1050 and SD-MAX to communicate with each other. I connected the two devices directly and enabled the SDrive-MAX's "1050" setting. I powered the SD-MAX via the SIO port rather than external power. I was both able to format a floppy disk and then write an ATR to the floppy. Then I messed around with a few things again (like trying the connection through the hub) and cocked the whole thing up. Even when I reconnected through the direct daisy-chained connection, I was unable to replicate my one time success.

So what does the SDrive-MAX's "1050" setting do for me exactly? Was enabling it related to my brief read/write success?

attachicon.gifsdrive-max settings.jpg

Per the recently-revised Release notes (on GitHub), the "1050" button enables 1050-specific timing in lieu of the default 810-specific timing.

What I want to know though is what the "Blank" button does?

Per the recently-revised Release notes (on GitHub), the "1050" button enables 1050-specific timing in lieu of the default 810-specific timing.

Thanks. It seems like perhaps this setting really might have been related to my limited success then. I'll have to play around with it all a bit more.

Not sure it is was answered in this thread before:

Did you connect TxD with a diode to DIN? Otherwise, SDrive-Max cannot work with other SIO devices on the same bus.

http://www.kbrnet.de/projekte/sdrive-max/index.html

I assume that diode must "point towards" the SIO plug, i.e. block signals from the plug to TxD?

Sorry, electronics are not my forte.

The cathode of the diode (indicated by the marking on one end) points to the Arduino side of the connection.

Interesting. I will assemble it that way then, luckily I didn't touch a soldering iron yet.

Nevertheless I assumed that the Arduino transmits data on TxD which needs to "flow"/"move" to Data IN on SIO and still can't understand why such a signal isn't blocked by a diode that only allows current to flow from Data IN to TxD. Can anyone explain this to an electronically challenged soldering butcher?

Interesting. I will assemble it that way then, luckily I didn't touch a soldering iron yet.

Nevertheless I assumed that the Arduino transmits data on TxD which needs to "flow"/"move" to Data IN on SIO and still can't understand why such a signal isn't blocked by a diode that only allows current to flow from Data IN to TxD. Can anyone explain this to an electronically challenged soldering butcher?

The DATA-IN signal is pulled high on the computer, the peripheral transmits by pulling the signal low.

• Like 1

The DATA-IN signal is pulled high on the computer, the peripheral transmits by pulling the signal low.

So the transmission of data is done by the computer sensing a voltage drop? Is there any easy primer on this stuff? Fascinating but I never progressed beyond transistors and diodes with my 1980s electronics kit (and didn't understand the more complex stuff I plugged together following the instructions in the manual).

A slight tangent. My AtariMax SIO2PC sees some strange behavior depending on my 800XL console. The SIO2PC does not load programs if it is connected directly to my 800XL (NTSC) with UAV and U1MB installed, but works fine if I plug it in through the 1050. I don't know if the UAV or U1MB have anything to do with it.

On my stock 800XL (NTSC with PAL ANTIC), with the "box" 1.5A power supply, the SIO2PC won't work and I get screen artifacts with carts, but both work fine with the large 1.0A XEGS power supply (???). Also, the choice of these two power supplies makes no difference on the U1MB modded 800XL. Again, I doubt the PAL ANTIC swap has anything to do with the behavior).

Point being, the computer itself may have some role in SDrive-MAX behavior from person to person.

If you think pal timing is affecting sio 2 pc usb, go in to the settings and select pal divisors...

Is your APE registered?

If it isn't you should set SIO rates lower, as it will fart at you, with a note to register in the info status as it scrolls up.

Edited by _The Doctor__

Hi all,

From Klaus (SDrive Max creator): We strongly recommend the use of an external power supply for the sdrive-max, because I think most of their problems may be caused by power leakage, because the SIO-Port power is defined with

50mA, and the sdrive-max takes 150mA.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

The external power supply worries me a bit. With the Atari off and the SD-MAX plugged in, the power feeds back through the SIO port and causes the LED indicator light to glow slightly. I am afraid of causing some damage to the Atari itself.

The external power supply worries me a bit. With the Atari off and the SD-MAX plugged in, the power feeds back through the SIO port and causes the LED indicator light to glow slightly. I am afraid of causing some damage to the Atari itself.

Disconnect the 5 volt line from the Atari SIO Port and all is well...

If you think pal timing is affecting sio 2 pc usb, go in to the settings and select pal divisors...

Is your APE registered?

If it isn't you should set SIO rates lower, as it will fart at you, with a note to register in the info status as it scrolls up.

It is more strange that a 1 amp XEGS ps is needed for the stock 800xl (for both SIO2PC and carts) rather than 1.5A and on the modified 800xl the SIO2PC needs to go through the 1050 and not directly into the 800xl.

It is more strange that a 1 amp XEGS ps is needed for the stock 800xl (for both SIO2PC and carts) rather than 1.5A and on the modified 800xl the SIO2PC needs to go through the 1050 and not directly into the 800xl.

Failing power supplies and computer strangeness? This sounds like it needs it's own thread..

perhaps a miss wired device or sio cord...

Edited by _The Doctor__

Yeah, I know. My point was that mild oddities related to the computer could also cause sdrive max dysfunction. I dont have an sdrive max, but I have an sio2pc that requires an unexpected setup to function on both of my 800xls. That was all I wanted to communicate for this thread. Still investigating the why. Ill start a thread if I cant come to a conclusion on my own.

• 4 weeks later...

FYI: BigBen analyzed the issue, found the root cause and proposed a solution. Discussion in the German ABBUC Forum.

http://www.abbuc.de/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=9451&start=100#wrap

BigBen also posted his solution here on AtariAge (in English) in the "other" SDrive Max topic :)

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/275629-sdrive-max-atx-support/page-22?do=findComment&comment=4189049