IGNORED

Sails of Doom, new multijoy game

R0ger

Hello Steve

The joystick ports are placed at an angle to each other. All you can do is use (short) joystick extension cords, since you'll need a flexible connection. Unless you want to place one multijoy interface on top of the other (like a pie). In that case you'll need supports to hold both multijoy interfaces together. In which case you could choose to use two supports to connect both multijoy interfaces to the hub. The resulting hardware would look kinda like some kind of spaceship from Star Wars of StarTrek. :D

Sincerely

Mathy

• 10 months later...
On 10/15/2018 at 5:27 PM, R0ger said:

Finally I can announce my new multijoy game, Sails of Doom, is finished. It was released on FLOP62, discmag of Atariklub.cz.

You can get it from the magazine here: http://flop.atariportal.cz/index.en.php

You can discuss other magazine related stuff here: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/283991-flop-62-new-issue-of-the-floppy-disk-magazine

Here I want to show you the game itself, and answer any questions.

Basically it's a multijoy game for 2-8 players. You control small ship, and shoot other players. There is detailed guide on FLOP62.

The game does support NTSC. It is also playable in 2 players without multijoy, but it's quite watered-down experience. For the proper mayhem get 8 players.

Here are some pictures:

post-39663-0-83070000-1539617029.png

post-39663-0-20668300-1539617046.png

post-39663-0-28655600-1539617052.png

• 4 years later...
On 10/15/2018 at 6:47 PM, Mathy said:

Hello guys

Krupkaj makes nice ones. And I hope HardwareDoc will finish his UltraJoyPro interface. UltraJoyPro is an intelligent version of the multijoy interface. He's using my idea to cascade multiple interfaces together. That way, you could plug multiple UltraJoyPro four port interfaces together to get eight, twelve or sixteen player versions. You wouldn't have to solder a zillion small parts together and you don't need to buy an 8 port interface if most of the time you can't even get 5 people together. But if you bring your four port UltraJoyPro to a meeting and if other people do so too, you can plug your interfaces together to play an 8 or more player game. The UltraJoyPro interface will have more features, but I forgot all but the one I like best (because it's my idea :D )

Sincerely

Mathy

That is a fantastic idea because all I really want is four ports anyway. Multiplay games are so much fun it's almost the inner-true purpose of games.

Edited by Ray Gillman

On 1/9/2019 at 7:25 PM, Mathy said:

Hello Steve

The joystick ports are placed at an angle to each other. All you can do is use (short) joystick extension cords, since you'll need a flexible connection. Unless you want to place one multijoy interface on top of the other (like a pie). In that case you'll need supports to hold both multijoy interfaces together. In which case you could choose to use two supports to connect both multijoy interfaces to the hub. The resulting hardware would look kinda like some kind of spaceship from Star Wars of StarTrek. :D

Sincerely

Mathy

I would just use rubber bands around something if I wanted to stack them but nevermind what I think, I've built stuff that looks like birds nests stapled to a wood plank with a staplegun. Yeah I'm that guy!

• 1 month later...

ZeroPage Homebrew is playing a ton of FOUR PLAYER SIMULTANEOUS games including Sails of Doom on today's special ZPH stream LIVE on Twitch! All four co-hosts will be there and we hope you can join us in the chat!

Fri Jan 12, 2024 | LIVE @ 2PM PT | 5PM ET | 10PM GMT   <- NOTE SPECIAL START TIME

Games:

• Like 1

Hello James

2 hours ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

Yes! If you have four light guns, a QuadTari, an Atari 7800 and a CRT you can play Ducks Away!

Cool!   That implies that light gun games for the Atari 8 bit computer and the Multijoy-Interface should also be possible.  (Although the Multijoy-Interface probably would need an upgrade for this to work)

Sincerely

Mathy

Hm .. why upgrade ? You can't test more than one light gun in a frame anyway (I mean with the multijoy occupying the second port). So you have to reserve one frame for each player. With 4 players that still gives you 12/15 checks per player. And IMHO no upgrade is needed, you would just switch which port is connected to Atari at each frame.

Still .. with how rare CRTs are these days .. not really worth it IMHO.

Hello R0ger

28 minutes ago, R0ger said:

Hm .. why upgrade ?

I was too lazy to check which pins the light gun uses and under the impression that the multijoy interface didn't switch all the pins needed for the light gun.

31 minutes ago, R0ger said:

Still .. with how rare CRTs are these days .. not really worth it IMHO.

7800 users probably have the same problem.  Still somebody coded software for it.

Sincerely

Mathy

14 hours ago, Mathy said:

Hello R0ger

I was too lazy to check which pins the light gun uses and under the impression that the multijoy interface didn't switch all the pins needed for the light gun.

7800 users probably have the same problem.  Still somebody coded software for it.

It's the fire line. So no IMHO no extra hardware is needed. Might test it next week .. if I asks some other guys, we might get several light guns / light pens together.

• Like 1