IGNORED

Tron (Arcade Port)

orange808

We'll be featuring Tron LIVE on tomorrow's (Friday) ZeroPage Homebrew stream on Twitch at 12PM PT|3PM ET|8PM GMT! Hope everyone can watch!

Twitch Stream: https://www.twitch.t...ropagehomebrew/

Games:

- Adventures of the 50-foot-tall Stalk of Celery (WIP) by Chris Read aka atari2600land
- The Goons (WIP) by Ed Riley aka winkdot
- Tron (Arcade Port) by orange808
- Astronomer (Patch Challenge) by Alex Pietrow aka Coolcrab

post-37205-0-91834400-1549605143_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 10/22/2018 at 10:28 AM, thevnaguy said:

I used a hex editor to change the bytes at offset 0x200 from 00 A0 85 to 01 A0 C5 and now the rom is working :) This is using the Harmony Cart on a Atari 2600 Jr and a Heavy Sixer. before the change it would not work on the 2600 jr. or the Heavy Sixer, but would afterwards :) yayyyy now I can make another video showing the use of the tron joystick and trakball! love this rom guy!

If anyone else is have trouble running the game on the Harmony Encore, I made thevnaguy's hex edits to the final rom and it runs fine for me on my Woody 4-switch.

This is amazing to play orange808!  In 1983 this would have blown my mind!

Cheers,

Ben

Tron v01-00-00-enc.bin

• Like 2

• 7 months later...
  • 3 years later...
Posted (edited)

3 Years Later

1.  Gameplay video

2.  Screenshots of the four included minigames of this arcade port

3.  Information about the arcade versions of Tron

4.  Why no Light Cycles?

5.  Why the inclusion of Discs of Tron?    

Spoiler

1.  Gameplay Video (version 1.06)

Here is video of gameplay of this awesome Atari 2600 arcade port of Tron.  

2.  Screenshots

Here are screenshots of the four minigames included in the Atari 2600 port in the order they appear in the home version.  

1Tanks_300x216.jpg.e1e45f310702ee4470b23f9d6d266ae5.jpg Minigame 1 Tanks

2MCP_300x218.jpg.b680deaa5c4d5585aa8c7bfc5b80b895.jpg Minigame 2 MCP Cone                                           

3Gridbugs_300x238.jpg.f2336db84237a0db04d50abbe6e00cc6.jpg Minigame 3 Grid Bugs

4DiscsofTron_300x237.jpg.7f7fdaf341a32ad7762b7fcba28caa87.jpg Minigame 4 Discs of Tron

3.  The Tron Arcade Games

Now, for comparison, here's a little information about the Tron arcade games.  

A. Tron Arcade Game (Bally Midway 1982)  link
There are four distinct games per level.

• Light Cycles: The player controls a Light Cycle that leaves a blue trail. The joystick controls the direction of travel and the trigger controls the speed of the bike. The object is force the enemy Light Cycles yellow to run into each other or the trails while avoiding crashing.
  • Grid Bugs: Destroy the Grid Bugs and escape into the I/O Tower before the timer runs out. The stick controls the movement of your character and the whirlygig controls the direction of fire.
  • Tanks: Destroy all enemy tanks or Recognizers to clear the level. The stick controls the movement of your tank and the whirlygig controls the direction of fire.
  • MCP Cone: Destroy the blocks similar to Breakout and move your character into the cone to clear the level. A bonus is awarded if you destroy all the blocks. The stick controls the movement of your character and the whirlygig controls the direction of fire.

B.  Discs of Tron Arcade Game (Bally Midway 1983) link

• Discs of Tron: Play as Tron and fling discs at Sark in an attempt to knock him off his platform. Knocking off Sark will advance you to the next level. 

4.  Why No Light Cycles?  

At 3:15 in the video, ArcadeUSA wonders why the Light Cycles don't appear in the Atari 2600 home version, it seems that Discs of Tron have been put in their place?

In this post, @orange808 explains, "Lightcycles were originally implemented and nearly completed before I abandoned them and added the disks game. The game had two enemy cycles. Unfortunately, I couldn't make it fun. In theory, it sounded great, but (when I actually got a chance to play it) having two enemies on the screen in Surround doesn't make it twice as fun."  

5.  Why the Inclusion of Discs of Tron?

First, a bit of history about the Bally Midway 1982 Tron arcade game.  "Now this game has basically four little minigames in it.  There's the light cycles there's the MCP cone there's the grid bugs and there's the tanks.  They wanted to actually get five games into this but they ran out of time they ran out of space whatever was but they couldn't get the fifth game in there and that of course was Discs of Tron.  However in 1983 they got their wish and they put out a standalone version of that fifth game and of course they called it Discs of Tron."  Link

So, we learn that Discs of Tron was intended to be a fifth minigame of the Tron arcade game released in 1982, but for whatever reason, they were unable to include it.  So now we can understand the inclusion of Discs of Tron as a minigame in the Atari 2600 home version of Tron: Bally Midway was originally going to put it in there.  

Edited by Living Room Arcade
  • Like 2