IGNORED

AtGames Officially Unveils Legends Ultimate Home Arcade (full-size machine)

Bill Loguidice

19 minutes ago, 1980gamer said:

Thanks for the review Professor...

What State are these being found?   I am in Mass and we do not have a Sam's.

I will either need to go North to NH or South to CT.  Both are over an hour away.  NH is tax free!!  Save about $30

not having a Sam's Club near by, I do not have a membership.  i have tried looking on line to see if the two closest locations have these in stock, but I cannot tell.

Maybe if you can sign-in you can tell?  Anyway, If someone has seen these is NH or CT  well lets say central New England, could you post here and how many they had.

That would really help.  Thanks!

I'll repeat this:

Unfortunately, Sam's Club's online system does not necessarily accurately reflect what's in-store. It's best to call with the item number (https://www.samsclub.com/p/legends-home-arcade-special-edition/prod23603404) and check with your local store directly.

I myself had to go back twice to my local one, because the first time when I called they said they had 3, but no location. When I went, it was still on the truck. I went back the next day and they had it, but it was on the highest shelf in aisle 15. They had the aisle location, but it was difficult to see where it was stashed. They had to use a forklift to get it down.

I did not have a Sam's Club membership prior to this, so ended up getting their cheapest option, which was $45. It's my understanding there are often offers on Groupon too, where you basically get it free after bonus gift cards.

2 minutes ago, Bill Loguidice said:

I just want to remind everyone who uses Facebook that there's a very active fan community, here, with some great info/people: https://www.facebook.com/groups/457437778352096/

And of course we're continuing to put out firmware updates to add/refine features. It should be at least weekly for quite some time.

Yup, already there. Throw me a bone on the early access please, I'd love to help test the newest features. ?

27 minutes ago, negative1 said:

Nice, does blasteroids use both spinners. (I have the arcade standup).

later

Jealous me, that cab is sweet. But to answer your question, yes, both spinners work, buttons mapped properly....the game rocks hard on the Legend, the spinners work great unlike the A1UP.

It appears people are really liking this cab. I wonder if they prefer it instead of having a dedicated arcade cab that only plays one game?

I mean there's "originality" and "history" behind a genuine vintage arcade cab as opposed to something manufactured today. But those are 2 concepts are just something collectors create inside their head to tell themselves they got something cool.

I can be perfectly happy MAME on just premium controls and hardware alone without the cabinet experience. Or this.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Keatah said:

I mean there's "originality" and "history" behind a genuine vintage arcade cab as opposed to something manufactured today. But those are 2 concepts are just something collectors create inside their head to tell themselves they got something cool.

Well, that's kind of what collecting even is :)  Nothing we collect has any inherent value; it has value because whoever's collecting it thinks it's cool. And that's true whether you're collecting vintage arcade cabs, every Beatles recording ever made or salt and pepper shakers.

Personally, I'm probably more interested in a cab like this at this point in time mainly because vintage cabs seem like more trouble than they're worth. Not to mention often unreasonably expensive to get that one game you want. (I've kind of been pricing out the few cabs I'd really want, and they all seem to be up in the thousands if you can even find one.)

I don't actually need a ton of games, I'm just looking for something well built and reliable and that doesn't take me out of the experience with imprecise or cheap controls or a poor quality display. (And also, it should play my favorite games, at least.) If this cab is all that, then I am very much interested in picking one up. Hopefully they're still around next month once I've moved in to a new place.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, spacecadet said:

Personally, I'm probably more interested in a cab like this at this point in time mainly because vintage cabs seem like more trouble than they're worth. Not to mention often unreasonably expensive to get that one game you want. (I've kind of been pricing out the few cabs I'd really want, and they all seem to be up in the thousands if you can even find one.)

I don't actually need a ton of games, I'm just looking for something well built and reliable and that doesn't take me out of the experience with imprecise or cheap controls or a poor quality display. (And also, it should play my favorite games, at least.) If this cab is all that, then I am very much interested in picking one up. Hopefully they're still around next month once I've moved in to a new place.

That's the thing with the full-size cabs. Unless they have all brand-new electronics they're going to have issues sooner or later. Most vintage cabs were built with a lifespans of 1-2, maybe 3, years. The companies and sales reps didn't see the need to go further because tech and the industry was changing fast - getting better. And they all figured operators would naturally buy the new stuff.

I personally like a lot of games by circumstance. Read that as most of the games I played as a kid I like today. Some are common. Some are eclectic. So maybe I'm biased toward a multi-cade rather than a single-game cab. It seems such a hassle to have 10 cabs lined up and in perfect working order. Perhaps more important, it isn't cozy and inviting either. Feels too industrial. Hard. Whereas a tiny Nuc or R-Pi or single multi-cade IS cozy and warm and fits into a lot of diverse decor. I can sit my stuffed goldfish right on top of the Nuc and have it look cute.

Edited by Keatah
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Keatah said:

That's the thing with the full-size cabs. Unless they have all brand-new electronics they're going to have issues sooner or later.

And that is my big issue. I don't have a problem paying $500-$600 for a cabinet of a game I really have an emotional attachment to from my experiences as a kid. But to pay a couple thousand for a cabinet that's potentially going to have burn-in or other aging CRT issues, flaky controls, flaky wiring, etc. just isn't something I want to deal with right now. I don't want a project or a constant maintenance headache, especially not for that kind of money.

The more I see of this thing, the more I think I want one. There are certain things I do hope the aftermarket steps up to help out with (like the artwork and marquee). But overall it seems like it's pressing all the right buttons, no pun intended. I still want to see some more reviews - the ones posted earlier have been either tough to get through for one reason or another or just were extremely incomplete - but I definitely like what I've seen of the machine and can glean from those reviews so far. It seems more than powerful enough for the types of games I want to play, it has a lot of my favorites already built in plus various ways to add more, and the controls and cabinet itself all look at least pretty good. It doesn't seem to have any glaring weaknesses.

A "thing" with old PCBs and such is that they often have RAM chips that need multiple voltages. +12v -12v +5v -5v ..some combination of that. I don't like that from a longevity perspective. Early RAM is among the less-reliable parts families out there. Ram became more-reliable starting with densities greater than the 4164 chips.

There are mods that have been done to put modern RAM on vintage boards, but then again, mods.. You've likely got someone unskilled idiot doing this. Same thing with the CMOS batteries. Everyone knows about these little sons of bitches. And the Varta bombs of the 386/486 era fame.. Just ughh..

Many arcade games had 4AA batteries in a holder, to store the hi-scores and such. All well and good. And now you get some dumkopf replacing them with a CR2016/2032. And it's brilliant and it works, for about 3 months. Not enough capacity in the coin cell to keep old static-ram charged. The old boards need the comparatively high-current from AA cells to make it to a year.

I-uh been watching this one arcade collector fill his entire house with cabs. Over 100 I bet. And there isn't a week that goes by without something breaking or needing adjustment. Specially the sizes of the images on the CRT's which shrink/distort over time. I look at that HUGE aggregation and shudder to think of the time sink it all is. The smells. The wasted space. None of it can be pleasant.

No. Just give me modern electronics with processors working at 1V. Do me a barcade/multicade.

Gotta say I'm pretty impressed with this thing and I was very wary, considering AtGames' history. Shame they're not available in NZ but I'm very happy with my Pi powered Arcade1up and Sanwa parts. Now if only they were bringing that Star Wars cab to my home country... lol.

On 11/9/2019 at 9:59 PM, Keatah said:

It appears people are really liking this cab. I wonder if they prefer it instead of having a dedicated arcade cab that only plays one game?

I can be perfectly happy MAME on just premium controls and hardware alone without the cabinet experience. Or this.

I would love to have a dedicated cab. However, price, size and weight, repairs, etc., are not for me. The Arcade1Ups are cool, I have 5, and they scratch that itch. Of course they are not the same as having the real deal. But they serve a purpose for me by capturing that look. I really like my Space Invaders and Pac-Man A1UP for just that reason. And yeah, it's cool for me.

There are lots of guys who gut/mod their 1UPs or build their own cab from scratch and that's fine by me. But I am lacking in both skills and tools to build a cabinet. In steps in Legends Ultimate. Easy to assemble, and compared to gathering and building from scratch or even one of the kits that are sold, the price is fair.

I love my PC rig, LaunchBox/BigBox, with all the bells and whistles. Controls are good with either my Mayflash arcade stick (I swapped in Sanwa buttons and stick there) or my Tankstick for 2 player action or trackball games.

But, for me, there's something about playing those MAME games on a cabinet that really hit the spot. The Legends Ultimate has filled that desire for me. Some of the built in games are fun, and there's always ArcadeNet or BYOG if you're so inclined. I'm just not hip on paying a monthly (ArcadeNet) or hourly (BYOG) fee. Local streaming without the fees of BYOG is coming, and I'll check that out when it does. But honestly, with the AddOn Tool where you can add your own ROMS, it's like why bother. I've been able to play some great games on a cabinet as a result. Cave shmups rock the house on this thing (MAME, not the Steam Cave games). Blasteroids with two spinner controls just like a dedicated cab, it's friggin' awesome. And that's just the tip of the iceberg.

Everyone has different wants and needs. Mine have been more than filled with the Legends Ultimate.

Edited by Skeeter
  • Like 2